Japanese Demonstration Cartridge

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 8, 2013
      After a long search, I finally tracked down a boxed copy of the Japanese Demonstration Cartridge.  This has been a good month--I found a boxed Pyuuta Adapter as well.  Now I just have to wait for them to get here from Japan.  The lot had a Pyuuta and about a dozen of the Japanese games in it as well (no boxes), which gives me a machine to dissect to try it with an F-18A adapter board to give it a 9918A clone with VGA output.
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 8, 2013
        > After a long search, I finally tracked down a boxed copy of the Japanese
        > Demonstration Cartridge.

        Outstanding. I have yet to find one myself. Any chance a ROM dump might be
        possible?

        -- Only death cures stupidity! -- "Cowboy Bebop: The Movie" -------------------
        Message 3 of 5 , Sep 8, 2013
          It depends--what have you used to read out Pyuuta cartridges in the past?  Do you have a schematic of an adapter that can be connected between the cartridge and an EPROM reader?

          I've been looking towards doing this on some level anyway, as that would let me read out the entire set of Pyuuta cartridges I have to port them over to the Myarc Geneve 9640.  Barry Boone ported the 10 titles released in the US for it, and his method should work with any of the cartridges, with a possible exception of the 3D titles.

          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 8, 2013
            I have the pinout of the cartridge port somewhere, but I'm not sure where
            exactly. I need to dig through the stuff Keith and James sent me.

            -- I couldn't care less about apathy. -----------------------------------------
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 27, 2013

              I got the Demonstration cartridge (boxed) in the mail this week, along with a Pyuuta, a Game Adaptor (boxed), over a dozen Japanese cartridges (loose), Joy Controllers, and a Pyuuta manual.  I'm still waiting for my Pyuuta Mk II to arrive.  It has one of the carry cases and a few pages of documentation (though it doesn't look like the Mk II manual is present, just the getting started/setup guide).  That will give me three Mk IIs, one of which I plan to modify with an F18A board to replace the video chip.  That will give it VGA output, but it will otherwise work just like the TMS9918A it replaces.  That should eliminate any video issues with using a Mk II here in the US.

              One interesting item I have noticed when bouncing through some of the Japanese Pyuuta sites. It seems that the Printer Interface had BASIC 1 integrated into it for the Pyuuta.  I'd seen the keyboard overlay for it on an auction several months ago, though I have yet to see one of the Printer Interfaces to go with it (or a BASIC 1 cartridge for the Mk II, for that matter).  There were also two different cassette recorders sold for the Pyuuta in Japan--and I have seen one of the Pyuuta Jr. Cassette Interfaces sold (I lost that auction, unfortunately).

              Here are some pix:

              http://www.tv-gamekan.com/pyuta/kiki.htm

              And some info on BASIC 1:

              http://www.tv-gamekan.com/pyuta/basic1.htm

              Now I just need to get a BASIC 1 cart, the Printer Interface, a Pyuuta Jr. manual, a MK II manual, and the Cassette Interface to complete my Pyuuta collection (and some of the cartridge boxes, as I have the boxes for all but five of the cartridges--and examples of all five of them were sold within the last month, but I wasn't able to get in contact with my friend to bid on them for me until after the auctions ended).

              I also found a site with some detailed schematics of the Pyuuta and the Pyuuta Jr:

              http://www43.tok2.com/home/cmpslv/PyuutaJR/EnrPtj.htm

              http://www43.tok2.com/home/cmpslv/Pyuuta/EnrPt.htm