Re: [Tomy Tutor] Re: Local Thrift Shop Find - Tomy Tutor with Tape Reader and a Joystick

  • dippen at gmail dot com
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
      i wouldn't part with mine for $800, so not as absurd as one might think. like I said the memories are priceless with this machine. but then again i can't see anyone who has never had one before paying $800 for it.

      have no idea the prices of any of the tomy tutor items, but would be curious to know. if ebay is the only marketplace selling these, that is the going price...

      On Mar 20, 2013, at 10:05 PM, blakzer0 wrote:

      > Unfortunately I didn't get any games with it. I saw a few boxes games on ebay going for $800+. That price seems pretty absurd. Do you have any idea of the going price for boxed and loose cartridges?
      >
      > --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, dippen at gmail dot com <dippen@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've whipped my old console out and hooked it up many a times when i go back to my parents house and it makes me feel like i am back in 1983 in second grade. the unit is priceless if you grew up with it. otherwise, it's probably worth $100 or $200.
      > >
      > > did you get any games with it?
      > >

      > > On Mar 18, 2013, at 9:27 PM, blakzer0 wrote:
      > >
      > > > A few months back I was shopping at my local thrift shop and I happened to come across a Tomy Tutor. Seemed interesting so I picked it up. I'm not sure what I expected, but I must say this is an amazing little piece of technology.
      > > >
      > > > The box is a little beat up but the unit looks to be in good condition. I plugged it in today and it works! I looked through the manual and wrote a quick little multiplication program. Some odd things happen when you get past the standard floating point precision. Eventually it started beeping and I shut it off. I tried the coloring program and it works great.
      > > >
      > > > Any idea what this little unit is worth? The box came with the unit, a tape recorder and power adapter, a joystick, and the manual. The box is in pretty rough shape, but everything else looks good. Only some slight fading.

      > > dippen at gmail dot com

      dippen at gmail dot com

    • Bill Loguidice
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
        Usually the system with controls and some games goes for well under $100.
        Game prices vary, and obviously boxed ones are worth more, but certainly
        loose games are cheap enough ($5 - $30 or so, depending). Honestly, the
        hardest, most expensive part of Tutor collecting is trying to get many of
        the Japanese games, which are generally the best games for the platform.

        Bill Loguidice, Managing Director; Armchair Arcade,
        Inc.<http://www.armchairarcade.com>
        Authored Books<http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Loguidice/e/B001U7W3YS/ref=ntt_dp_epwbk_1>and

        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2013
          > Usually the system with controls and some games goes for well under $100.
          > Game prices vary, and obviously boxed ones are worth more, but certainly
          > loose games are cheap enough ($5 - $30 or so, depending). Honestly, the
          > hardest, most expensive part of Tutor collecting is trying to get many of
          > the Japanese games, which are generally the best games for the platform.

          What Bill said. Some of the best Tutor/Pyuuta games were never imported.

          -- When you win, nothing hurts. -- Joe Namath ---------------------------------