Re: [Tomy Tutor] Assembler/Basic and Cassette

    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
      > When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a
      > constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in
      > MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds.

      I'm not desperately relying on MESS as a source of veracity regarding the
      tape. Once I have it working with the real Tutor, I'll probably focus on
      MESS at that point.

      -- The best things in life are sold out. --------------------------------------
    • kabldb
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
        > > When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a
        > > constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in
        > > MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds.
        >
        > I'm not desperately relying on MESS as a source of veracity regarding the
        > tape. Once I have it working with the real Tutor, I'll probably focus on
        > MESS at that point.

        No, why should you, it's broken. I was only trying to help. I would have expected the feedback to be very much like the saved file. And I thought that this info might raise an eyebrow and maybe give input to tackle the cassette problem from other angles. Not that you have to or anything.

        ;-)
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
          > > > When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a
          > > > constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in
          > > > MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds.
          > >
          > > I'm not desperately relying on MESS as a source of veracity regarding the
          > > tape. Once I have it working with the real Tutor, I'll probably focus on
          > > MESS at that point.
          >
          > No, why should you, it's broken. I was only trying to help. I would have
          > expected the feedback to be very much like the saved file. And I thought
          > that this info might raise an eyebrow and maybe give input to tackle the
          > cassette problem from other angles. Not that you have to or anything.

          I apologize if it sounded like I was brushing it off, but I assure you the
          lead-in is not the problem; I can detect that easily. Even if I make the
          lead-in sequence longer, it does not get detected by the machine. Like I say,
          I suspect there is something different about either how the Data Recorder
          writes the data, *or* how it plays it back, and that should be duplicatable
          either in software or with a trivial analogue circuit.

          -- IBM is not a necessary evil. IBM is not necessary. -- Ted Nelson -----------