Assembler/Basic and Cassette

  • kabldb
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
      /quote
      Once I figure out what I'm doing wrong (I suspect I need to make a little circuit to adjust the audio to what the Tutor is expecting), then we can even cross-develop and I'll post my work and source code.
      /unquote

      Would that be 9995 assembly language programming or Basic ?

      I'm an emulator only guy (once decided to have a clean desk etc.). Since cartridges work fine with MESS, I thought that one could cross assemble and create cartridges. Do you know if 9995 and 9900 and very much alike ?

      /quote
      The driver IMHO seems fine to me. The only thing it lacks is cassette. Otherwise it's pretty complete; it even has parallel port support.

      I'm myself (between Classilla and TTYtter and all my other projects) trying to get the Tutor to reliably load and save "via tape" to my Power Mac. I've got the tape system decoded and I can actually frame the bit stream and look at the data it writes to cassette, but I can't get the Tutor to *load* from the Mac. I don't think it's the Mac; I remember trying to use a friend's Windows machine to do the same thing and having the same problem.
      /unquote

      Thanks. I looked at the notes in MESS source ...

      /quote
      TODO:
      * debug the tape interface (Saved tapes sound OK, both Verify and Load recognize the tape as a Tomy tape, but the data seems to be corrupted and we end with a read error.)
      /unquote

      I tried to make small programs and save to tape using MESS with both TI-99/4A and Tomy Tutor. I listened to the wave files produced and they sound alright. Different but as I remember the sounds from way back in the early eighties. I loaded the TI file back into the TI-99/4A, and audio feedback was as expected. All went well. I tried and load the Tomy file back into Tomy Tutor (remember I'm an all emulator guy), and at first it sounded as the wave file, then it sounded as if it was changing to a higher pitch/tune and then came the data sounding different (the MESS audio feedback was different from just listening to the wave file) and rather quickly an error occurs (feedback continues). This is what I get:
      ?U FIND
      * READY
      In both cases the audio format are 16 bits mono 44100 Hz, and the actually data recorded are 1 bit. It looks like it's being held for 64 samples with the TI and 50 samples with the Tomy.

      :-)
    • kabldb
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
        Yeah, if not scans, then let us have pictures of adapter, boxes and tape.

        :-)

        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
          > > Once I figure out what I'm doing wrong (I suspect I need to make a little
          > > circuit to adjust the audio to what the Tutor is expecting), then we can
          > > even cross-develop and I'll post my work and source code.
          >
          > Would that be 9995 assembly language programming or Basic ?

          No, the cross-tape reader is written in Perl, actually. The source is
          pretty easy to understand. When I get it finished, it will accept image
          files and BASIC text. The Tomy OS, TTBOMK, offers no way to load machine
          code from tape through the ROM routines (this makes sense, because it is

          > I'm an emulator only guy (once decided to have a clean desk etc.). Since
          > cartridges work fine with MESS, I thought that one could cross assemble and
          > create cartridges. Do you know if 9995 and 9900 and very much alike ?

          If you write 9900 code, it should work fine on the 9995. The only difference
          with the 9995 is the built-in scratchpad RAM and the 8-bit muxed data bus,
          which is for most intents and purposes irrelevant to the program (remember,
          the 99/8 is a 9995 also, and the 99/4 has the same scratchpad RAM, just
          external to the CPU).

          However, no one has really done much analysis of how to get a ROM to autostart
          and some cartridges may contain Tomy GPL, which is not at all the same as TI
          GPL (as demonstrated by experimentation with the Pyuuta mark II, which has a
          very different CLA than the Pyuuta and Tutor).

          > TODO:
          > * debug the tape interface (Saved tapes sound OK, both Verify and Load
          > recognize the tape as a Tomy tape, but the data seems to be corrupted and
          > we end with a read error.)

          I'm glad Raphael had the same problem -- that proves I'm not totally
          incompetent! :-D

          > I tried to make small programs and save to tape using MESS with both
          > TI-99/4A and Tomy Tutor. I listened to the wave files produced and they
          > sound alright. Different but as I remember the sounds from way back in the
          > early eighties.

          The TI and the Tomy have totally different tape formats. IIRC, the TI is
          based on AFSK, while the Tomy uses a purely digital pulse system similar to
          the Commodore, although the bit framing is totally different. The tape
          systems are wholly incompatible, unfortunately, so the research done into
          the TI CS1 formats is no good here.

          -- Nuclear war would really set back cable. -- Ted Turner ---------------------
        • kabldb
          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
            > > > Once I figure out what I'm doing wrong (I suspect I need to make a little
            > > > circuit to adjust the audio to what the Tutor is expecting), then we can
            > > > even cross-develop and I'll post my work and source code.
            > >
            > > Would that be 9995 assembly language programming or Basic ?
            >
            > No, the cross-tape reader is written in Perl, actually. The source is
            > pretty easy to understand. When I get it finished, it will accept image
            > files and BASIC text. The Tomy OS, TTBOMK, offers no way to load machine
            > code from tape through the ROM routines (this makes sense, because it is

            Okay, so the cross-develop would be Basic.

            > > I'm an emulator only guy (once decided to have a clean desk etc.). Since
            > > cartridges work fine with MESS, I thought that one could cross assemble and
            > > create cartridges. Do you know if 9995 and 9900 and very much alike ?
            >
            > If you write 9900 code, it should work fine on the 9995. The only difference
            > with the 9995 is the built-in scratchpad RAM and the 8-bit muxed data bus,
            > which is for most intents and purposes irrelevant to the program (remember,
            > the 99/8 is a 9995 also, and the 99/4 has the same scratchpad RAM, just
            > external to the CPU).
            >
            > However, no one has really done much analysis of how to get a ROM to autostart
            > and some cartridges may contain Tomy GPL, which is not at all the same as TI
            > GPL (as demonstrated by experimentation with the Pyuuta mark II, which has a
            > very different CLA than the Pyuuta and Tutor).

            I think there's enough info in the MESS source to work things out.

            > > I tried to make small programs and save to tape using MESS with both
            > > TI-99/4A and Tomy Tutor. I listened to the wave files produced and they
            > > sound alright. Different but as I remember the sounds from way back in the
            > > early eighties.
            >
            > The TI and the Tomy have totally different tape formats. IIRC, the TI is
            > based on AFSK, while the Tomy uses a purely digital pulse system similar to
            > the Commodore, although the bit framing is totally different. The tape
            > systems are wholly incompatible, unfortunately, so the research done into
            > the TI CS1 formats is no good here.

            Well, I wasn't actually trying to cross anything over there. Let's just only talk Tomy Tutor not to confuse anything. When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds. I know it's a strange discovery, and it is probably leading nowhere. I've uploaded the 2 recordings. When the load error occurs at 10.5 seconds the volume of feedback is lowered.

            ;-)
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
              > When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a
              > constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in
              > MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds.

              I'm not desperately relying on MESS as a source of veracity regarding the
              tape. Once I have it working with the real Tutor, I'll probably focus on
              MESS at that point.

              -- The best things in life are sold out. --------------------------------------
            • kabldb
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                > > When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a
                > > constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in
                > > MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds.
                >
                > I'm not desperately relying on MESS as a source of veracity regarding the
                > tape. Once I have it working with the real Tutor, I'll probably focus on
                > MESS at that point.

                No, why should you, it's broken. I was only trying to help. I would have expected the feedback to be very much like the saved file. And I thought that this info might raise an eyebrow and maybe give input to tackle the cassette problem from other angles. Not that you have to or anything.

                ;-)
                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                  > > > When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a
                  > > > constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in
                  > > > MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds.
                  > >
                  > > I'm not desperately relying on MESS as a source of veracity regarding the
                  > > tape. Once I have it working with the real Tutor, I'll probably focus on
                  > > MESS at that point.
                  >
                  > No, why should you, it's broken. I was only trying to help. I would have
                  > expected the feedback to be very much like the saved file. And I thought
                  > that this info might raise an eyebrow and maybe give input to tackle the
                  > cassette problem from other angles. Not that you have to or anything.

                  I apologize if it sounded like I was brushing it off, but I assure you the
                  lead-in is not the problem; I can detect that easily. Even if I make the
                  lead-in sequence longer, it does not get detected by the machine. Like I say,
                  I suspect there is something different about either how the Data Recorder
                  writes the data, *or* how it plays it back, and that should be duplicatable
                  either in software or with a trivial analogue circuit.

                  -- IBM is not a necessary evil. IBM is not necessary. -- Ted Nelson -----------