RE: [Tomy Tutor] Re: Technical manuals ?

  • Bill Loguidice
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 19 10:54 AM
      Is the Japanese tape game available online? If not, it would be great to get
      a WAV of it for play on a real Tutor/Pyuuta. What's on the tape?

      Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
      Armchair Arcade, Inc.
      <http://www.armchairarcade.com/> http://www.armchairarcade.com
      Authored Books: <http://www.armchairarcade.com/books>
      http://www.armchairarcade.com/books
      Film: <http://www.armchairarcade.com/film>
      http://www.armchairarcade.com/film
      LinkedIn: <http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice>
      http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice

      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 19 12:15 PM
        > > I do have one of the Pyuuta adapters, and can verify that it is only for the
        > > original version of the Pyuuta. I also have all of the Japanese cartridges
        > > except for Superbike, Tron, and the Demonstration cartridge. I have the
        > > boxes for 17 of them, which I probably need to scan and put online. Lastly,
        > > I have one of the Japanese tape games.
        >
        > Is the Japanese tape game available online? If not, it would be great to get
        > a WAV of it for play on a real Tutor/Pyuuta. What's on the tape?

        If someone manages to get the Tutor to *load* from a .wav, I would like to
        talk to that person. I have not yet been successful -- I'm about to crack a
        Data Recorder open to see if there is some logic in there controlling input
        to the computer.

        I have TRON, but will not part with it :) I would love to find a Japanese
        demo cartridge -- I only have the American one, but I did make a video
        capture of it:

        http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/purcell.html
        http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2280154749483391062

        I would be very interested to see a capture of the Japanese demo cartridge,
        too. Translating it would be trivial.

        -- Never trust a computer you can't lift. -- Mac rollout, 24 January 1984 -----
      • Bill Loguidice
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 19 12:19 PM
          I know it probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but have you tried
          using one of those CD to cassette adapters
          (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23174%3B+-+CD/MD/MP3+Cassette+Adapter/
          6323686.p?skuId=6323686&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=6323686&ref=06&loc=01&id=1077
          625430711) in the original Tutor tape drive and running it from there rather
          than straight from the audio out? I have yet to try it myself, but it might
          be a more reliable way of making the stuff work.

          --
          ------------------------------------ personal: http://www.cameronkaiser.com/
          <mailto:ckaiser%40floodgap.com>

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 19 12:22 PM
            > I know it probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but have you tried
            > using one of those CD to cassette adapters
            > (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23174%3B+-+CD/MD/MP3+Cassette+Adapter/
            > 6323686.p?skuId=6323686&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=6323686&ref=06&loc=01&id=1077
            > 625430711) in the original Tutor tape drive and running it from there rather
            > than straight from the audio out? I have yet to try it myself, but it might
            > be a more reliable way of making the stuff work.

            I suspect it wouldn't. I'm just going to go straight to the source and watch
            the signal with an oscilloscope from the Mac and from the Data Recorder. I
            also need to make sure signal voltage and impedance are the same.

            -- If the cops know where Heisenberg is, can he be caught speeding? -----------
          • kabldb
            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 19 9:00 PM
              /quote
              Once I figure out what I'm doing wrong (I suspect I need to make a little circuit to adjust the audio to what the Tutor is expecting), then we can even cross-develop and I'll post my work and source code.
              /unquote

              Would that be 9995 assembly language programming or Basic ?

              I'm an emulator only guy (once decided to have a clean desk etc.). Since cartridges work fine with MESS, I thought that one could cross assemble and create cartridges. Do you know if 9995 and 9900 and very much alike ?

              /quote
              The driver IMHO seems fine to me. The only thing it lacks is cassette. Otherwise it's pretty complete; it even has parallel port support.

              I'm myself (between Classilla and TTYtter and all my other projects) trying to get the Tutor to reliably load and save "via tape" to my Power Mac. I've got the tape system decoded and I can actually frame the bit stream and look at the data it writes to cassette, but I can't get the Tutor to *load* from the Mac. I don't think it's the Mac; I remember trying to use a friend's Windows machine to do the same thing and having the same problem.
              /unquote

              Thanks. I looked at the notes in MESS source ...

              /quote
              TODO:
              * debug the tape interface (Saved tapes sound OK, both Verify and Load recognize the tape as a Tomy tape, but the data seems to be corrupted and we end with a read error.)
              /unquote

              I tried to make small programs and save to tape using MESS with both TI-99/4A and Tomy Tutor. I listened to the wave files produced and they sound alright. Different but as I remember the sounds from way back in the early eighties. I loaded the TI file back into the TI-99/4A, and audio feedback was as expected. All went well. I tried and load the Tomy file back into Tomy Tutor (remember I'm an all emulator guy), and at first it sounded as the wave file, then it sounded as if it was changing to a higher pitch/tune and then came the data sounding different (the MESS audio feedback was different from just listening to the wave file) and rather quickly an error occurs (feedback continues). This is what I get:
              ?U FIND
              * READY
              In both cases the audio format are 16 bits mono 44100 Hz, and the actually data recorded are 1 bit. It looks like it's being held for 64 samples with the TI and 50 samples with the Tomy.

              :-)
            • kabldb
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 19 9:03 PM
                Yeah, if not scans, then let us have pictures of adapter, boxes and tape.

                :-)

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 20 9:01 AM
                  > > Once I figure out what I'm doing wrong (I suspect I need to make a little
                  > > circuit to adjust the audio to what the Tutor is expecting), then we can
                  > > even cross-develop and I'll post my work and source code.
                  >
                  > Would that be 9995 assembly language programming or Basic ?

                  No, the cross-tape reader is written in Perl, actually. The source is
                  pretty easy to understand. When I get it finished, it will accept image
                  files and BASIC text. The Tomy OS, TTBOMK, offers no way to load machine
                  code from tape through the ROM routines (this makes sense, because it is

                  > I'm an emulator only guy (once decided to have a clean desk etc.). Since
                  > cartridges work fine with MESS, I thought that one could cross assemble and
                  > create cartridges. Do you know if 9995 and 9900 and very much alike ?

                  If you write 9900 code, it should work fine on the 9995. The only difference
                  with the 9995 is the built-in scratchpad RAM and the 8-bit muxed data bus,
                  which is for most intents and purposes irrelevant to the program (remember,
                  the 99/8 is a 9995 also, and the 99/4 has the same scratchpad RAM, just
                  external to the CPU).

                  However, no one has really done much analysis of how to get a ROM to autostart
                  and some cartridges may contain Tomy GPL, which is not at all the same as TI
                  GPL (as demonstrated by experimentation with the Pyuuta mark II, which has a
                  very different CLA than the Pyuuta and Tutor).

                  > TODO:
                  > * debug the tape interface (Saved tapes sound OK, both Verify and Load
                  > recognize the tape as a Tomy tape, but the data seems to be corrupted and
                  > we end with a read error.)

                  I'm glad Raphael had the same problem -- that proves I'm not totally
                  incompetent! :-D

                  > I tried to make small programs and save to tape using MESS with both
                  > TI-99/4A and Tomy Tutor. I listened to the wave files produced and they
                  > sound alright. Different but as I remember the sounds from way back in the
                  > early eighties.

                  The TI and the Tomy have totally different tape formats. IIRC, the TI is
                  based on AFSK, while the Tomy uses a purely digital pulse system similar to
                  the Commodore, although the bit framing is totally different. The tape
                  systems are wholly incompatible, unfortunately, so the research done into
                  the TI CS1 formats is no good here.

                  -- Nuclear war would really set back cable. -- Ted Turner ---------------------
                • kabldb
                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 20 11:26 AM
                    > > > Once I figure out what I'm doing wrong (I suspect I need to make a little
                    > > > circuit to adjust the audio to what the Tutor is expecting), then we can
                    > > > even cross-develop and I'll post my work and source code.
                    > >
                    > > Would that be 9995 assembly language programming or Basic ?
                    >
                    > No, the cross-tape reader is written in Perl, actually. The source is
                    > pretty easy to understand. When I get it finished, it will accept image
                    > files and BASIC text. The Tomy OS, TTBOMK, offers no way to load machine
                    > code from tape through the ROM routines (this makes sense, because it is

                    Okay, so the cross-develop would be Basic.

                    > > I'm an emulator only guy (once decided to have a clean desk etc.). Since
                    > > cartridges work fine with MESS, I thought that one could cross assemble and
                    > > create cartridges. Do you know if 9995 and 9900 and very much alike ?
                    >
                    > If you write 9900 code, it should work fine on the 9995. The only difference
                    > with the 9995 is the built-in scratchpad RAM and the 8-bit muxed data bus,
                    > which is for most intents and purposes irrelevant to the program (remember,
                    > the 99/8 is a 9995 also, and the 99/4 has the same scratchpad RAM, just
                    > external to the CPU).
                    >
                    > However, no one has really done much analysis of how to get a ROM to autostart
                    > and some cartridges may contain Tomy GPL, which is not at all the same as TI
                    > GPL (as demonstrated by experimentation with the Pyuuta mark II, which has a
                    > very different CLA than the Pyuuta and Tutor).

                    I think there's enough info in the MESS source to work things out.

                    > > I tried to make small programs and save to tape using MESS with both
                    > > TI-99/4A and Tomy Tutor. I listened to the wave files produced and they
                    > > sound alright. Different but as I remember the sounds from way back in the
                    > > early eighties.
                    >
                    > The TI and the Tomy have totally different tape formats. IIRC, the TI is
                    > based on AFSK, while the Tomy uses a purely digital pulse system similar to
                    > the Commodore, although the bit framing is totally different. The tape
                    > systems are wholly incompatible, unfortunately, so the research done into
                    > the TI CS1 formats is no good here.

                    Well, I wasn't actually trying to cross anything over there. Let's just only talk Tomy Tutor not to confuse anything. When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds. I know it's a strange discovery, and it is probably leading nowhere. I've uploaded the 2 recordings. When the load error occurs at 10.5 seconds the volume of feedback is lowered.

                    ;-)
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 20 11:29 AM
                      > When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a
                      > constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in
                      > MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds.

                      I'm not desperately relying on MESS as a source of veracity regarding the
                      tape. Once I have it working with the real Tutor, I'll probably focus on
                      MESS at that point.

                      -- The best things in life are sold out. --------------------------------------
                    • kabldb
                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 20 11:49 AM
                        > > When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a
                        > > constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in
                        > > MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds.
                        >
                        > I'm not desperately relying on MESS as a source of veracity regarding the
                        > tape. Once I have it working with the real Tutor, I'll probably focus on
                        > MESS at that point.

                        No, why should you, it's broken. I was only trying to help. I would have expected the feedback to be very much like the saved file. And I thought that this info might raise an eyebrow and maybe give input to tackle the cassette problem from other angles. Not that you have to or anything.

                        ;-)
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 20 11:53 AM
                          > > > When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a
                          > > > constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in
                          > > > MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds.
                          > >
                          > > I'm not desperately relying on MESS as a source of veracity regarding the
                          > > tape. Once I have it working with the real Tutor, I'll probably focus on
                          > > MESS at that point.
                          >
                          > No, why should you, it's broken. I was only trying to help. I would have
                          > expected the feedback to be very much like the saved file. And I thought
                          > that this info might raise an eyebrow and maybe give input to tackle the
                          > cassette problem from other angles. Not that you have to or anything.

                          I apologize if it sounded like I was brushing it off, but I assure you the
                          lead-in is not the problem; I can detect that easily. Even if I make the
                          lead-in sequence longer, it does not get detected by the machine. Like I say,
                          I suspect there is something different about either how the Data Recorder
                          writes the data, *or* how it plays it back, and that should be duplicatable
                          either in software or with a trivial analogue circuit.

                          -- IBM is not a necessary evil. IBM is not necessary. -- Ted Nelson -----------