Technical manuals ?

  • kabldb
    Message 1 of 25 , Feb 17, 2010
      I have Tomy Tutor working with MESS. Where do I find information about the architecture, chips, cartridge layouts, console software (ROMs) and stuff ?

      :-)
      Message 2 of 25 , Feb 18, 2010
        > I have Tomy Tutor working with MESS. Where do I find information about the
        > architecture, chips, cartridge layouts, console software (ROMs) and stuff ?

        There really isn't much technical documentation. I've collected what I have
        and what I've independently discovered here

        http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/hardware.html
        http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/mmap.html

        but it's really not very much, compared to, say, the C64. PyutaDev used to
        have some useful tech data (for people who Nihongo ga hanasu) but it
        appears to have gone to the great Yahoo! in the sky.

        -- There's always free cheddar in a mousetrap, baby. -- Tom Waits -------------
        Message 3 of 25 , Feb 18, 2010
          Did you manage to scrape a copy of the data off of PyutaDev before it disappeared, Cameron? I have a friend who might have time to do a full translation for us. Then you can add the data to your tech repository.

          If you didn't, looks like it is time to engage the Wayback Machine to retrieve a copy of it.

          Jim

          Message 4 of 25 , Feb 18, 2010

            Message 5 of 25 , Feb 18, 2010
              > Did you manage to scrape a copy of the data off of PyutaDev before it
              > disappeared, Cameron? I have a friend who might have time to do a full
              > translation for us. Then you can add the data to your tech repository.

              I have some of it, but that's a good idea -- I should Wayback it. I'll try
              to do that later unless someone is bored :) the URL for PyutaDev is on the
              memory map page:

              > > http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/mmap.html

              -- I've been walking on clouds/'n flipping off rainbows ... -- Strong Bad #150
            • kabldb
              Message 6 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                Really nice. Thanks.

                I tried Wayback, but got "Failed Connection" (from Wayback). I'll try again later.

                I didn't test anything but some games with the Tomy Tutor in MESS, and it seems to work fine. I looked into the MESS source and there are some interesting details by Raphael Nabet, 2003. I tried to contact him earlier to no avail. How stable would you say this MESS version is ?

                How many units did Tomy and friends sell ? Are there any active or potential users out there ?

                I'll try and go thru all of floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy ...

                ;-)

                Message 7 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                  Oh, and there's a TutorEm in the files section.

                  :-)

                  Message 8 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                    > I didn't test anything but some games with the Tomy Tutor in MESS, and it
                    > seems to work fine. I looked into the MESS source and there are some
                    > interesting details by Raphael Nabet, 2003. I tried to contact him earlier
                    > to no avail. How stable would you say this MESS version is ?

                    The driver IMHO seems fine to me. The only thing it lacks is cassette.
                    Otherwise it's pretty complete; it even has parallel port support.

                    I'm myself (between Classilla and TTYtter and all my other projects) trying
                    to get the Tutor to reliably load and save "via tape" to my Power Mac. I've
                    got the tape system decoded and I can actually frame the bit stream and
                    look at the data it writes to cassette, but I can't get the Tutor to *load*
                    from the Mac. I don't think it's the Mac; I remember trying to use a friend's
                    Windows machine to do the same thing and having the same problem.

                    Once I figure out what I'm doing wrong (I suspect I need to make a little
                    circuit to adjust the audio to what the Tutor is expecting), then we can even
                    cross-develop and I'll post my work and source code.

                    -- Isaiah 30:15 ---------------------------------------------------------------
                  • Bill Loguidice
                    Message 9 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                      I would count as an "active or potential user". I have two Tomy Tutors,
                      accessories, and several cartridges, including a handful of the Japanese
                      ones. As with most of my collection I rarely get to use it, but I definitely
                      actively collect for it. Like most Tutor collectors, I'd love to get my
                      hands on some of the "3D"/next gen Japanese cartridges, though so far I've
                      had no luck.

                      Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
                      Armchair Arcade, Inc.
                      <http://www.armchairarcade.com/> http://www.armchairarcade.com
                      Authored Books: <http://www.armchairarcade.com/books>
                      http://www.armchairarcade.com/books
                      Film: <http://www.armchairarcade.com/film>
                      http://www.armchairarcade.com/film
                      LinkedIn: <http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice>

                      Message 10 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                        > I would count as an "active or potential user". I have two Tomy Tutors,
                        > accessories, and several cartridges, including a handful of the Japanese
                        > ones. As with most of my collection I rarely get to use it, but I definitely
                        > actively collect for it. Like most Tutor collectors, I'd love to get my
                        > hands on some of the "3D"/next gen Japanese cartridges, though so far I've
                        > had no luck.

                        I'm still trying to track down one of those Pyuuta adapters. I do have
                        Baseball and Battlefighter (3D), though Rescue Copter looks really cool.

                        -- His mind is like a steel trap -- full of mice. -- Foghorn Leghorn ----------
                      • Bill Loguidice
                        Message 11 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                          The Pyuuta adapter is only for certain Pyuuta/Tutor games to work correctly
                          on certain Pyuuta systems, right? It's my understanding that the Tutor runs
                          all games.

                          I'd love to get Rescue Copter above all others, though I'd certainly take
                          any of them.

                          Bill Loguidice, Managing Director
                          Armchair Arcade, Inc.
                          <http://www.armchairarcade.com/> http://www.armchairarcade.com
                          Authored Books: <http://www.armchairarcade.com/books>
                          http://www.armchairarcade.com/books
                          Film: <http://www.armchairarcade.com/film>
                          http://www.armchairarcade.com/film
                          LinkedIn: <http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice>
                          http://www.linkedin.com/in/billloguidice

                          > I would count as an "active or potential user". I have two Tomy Tutors,
                          > accessories, and several cartridges, including a handful of the Japanese
                          > ones. As with most of my collection I rarely get to use it, but I
                          definitely
                          > actively collect for it. Like most Tutor collectors, I'd love to get my
                          > hands on some of the "3D"/next gen Japanese cartridges, though so far I've
                          > had no luck.

                          I'm still trying to track down one of those Pyuuta adapters. I do have
                          Baseball and Battlefighter (3D), though Rescue Copter looks really cool.

                          --
                          ------------------------------------ personal: http://www.cameronkaiser.com/
                          <mailto:ckaiser%40floodgap.com>
                          -- His mind is like a steel trap -- full of mice. -- Foghorn Leghorn
                          Message 12 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                            > The Pyuuta adapter is only for certain Pyuuta/Tutor games to work correctly
                            > on certain Pyuuta systems, right? It's my understanding that the Tutor runs
                            > all games.

                            Right, and (TTBOMK) so does the Pyuuta Jr and Mark II. However, I want it
                            mostly to look at the hardware to give me a little more insight into the
                            way the I/O port works.

                            -- Never blame on malice what can be blamed on abject idiocy. -----------------
                          • Bill Loguidice
                            Message 13 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                              Interesting. Care to share what you might have planned for the I/O port,
                              assuming you were able to learn more about it?

                              Message 14 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                I do have one of the Pyuuta adapters, and can verify that it is only for the original version of the Pyuuta. I also have all of the Japanese cartridges except for Superbike, Tron, and the Demonstration cartridge. I have the boxes for 17 of them, which I probably need to scan and put online. Lastly, I have one of the Japanese tape games.

                                Message 15 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                  Is the Japanese tape game available online? If not, it would be great to get
                                  a WAV of it for play on a real Tutor/Pyuuta. What's on the tape?

                                  --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com <mailto:tomytutor%40yahoogroups.com> ,

                                  Message 16 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                    > > I do have one of the Pyuuta adapters, and can verify that it is only for the
                                    > > original version of the Pyuuta. I also have all of the Japanese cartridges
                                    > > except for Superbike, Tron, and the Demonstration cartridge. I have the
                                    > > boxes for 17 of them, which I probably need to scan and put online. Lastly,
                                    > > I have one of the Japanese tape games.
                                    >
                                    > Is the Japanese tape game available online? If not, it would be great to get
                                    > a WAV of it for play on a real Tutor/Pyuuta. What's on the tape?

                                    If someone manages to get the Tutor to *load* from a .wav, I would like to
                                    talk to that person. I have not yet been successful -- I'm about to crack a
                                    Data Recorder open to see if there is some logic in there controlling input
                                    to the computer.

                                    I have TRON, but will not part with it :) I would love to find a Japanese
                                    demo cartridge -- I only have the American one, but I did make a video
                                    capture of it:

                                    http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/purcell.html
                                    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2280154749483391062

                                    I would be very interested to see a capture of the Japanese demo cartridge,
                                    too. Translating it would be trivial.

                                    -- Never trust a computer you can't lift. -- Mac rollout, 24 January 1984 -----
                                  • Bill Loguidice
                                    Message 17 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                      I know it probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but have you tried
                                      using one of those CD to cassette adapters
                                      (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23174%3B+-+CD/MD/MP3+Cassette+Adapter/
                                      6323686.p?skuId=6323686&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=6323686&ref=06&loc=01&id=1077
                                      625430711) in the original Tutor tape drive and running it from there rather
                                      than straight from the audio out? I have yet to try it myself, but it might
                                      be a more reliable way of making the stuff work.

                                      -----

                                      Message 18 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                        > I know it probably wouldn't make much of a difference, but have you tried
                                        > using one of those CD to cassette adapters
                                        > (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dynex%26%23174%3B+-+CD/MD/MP3+Cassette+Adapter/
                                        > 6323686.p?skuId=6323686&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=6323686&ref=06&loc=01&id=1077
                                        > 625430711) in the original Tutor tape drive and running it from there rather
                                        > than straight from the audio out? I have yet to try it myself, but it might
                                        > be a more reliable way of making the stuff work.

                                        I suspect it wouldn't. I'm just going to go straight to the source and watch
                                        the signal with an oscilloscope from the Mac and from the Data Recorder. I
                                        also need to make sure signal voltage and impedance are the same.

                                        -- If the cops know where Heisenberg is, can he be caught speeding? -----------
                                      • kabldb
                                        Message 19 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                          /quote
                                          Once I figure out what I'm doing wrong (I suspect I need to make a little circuit to adjust the audio to what the Tutor is expecting), then we can even cross-develop and I'll post my work and source code.
                                          /unquote

                                          Would that be 9995 assembly language programming or Basic ?

                                          I'm an emulator only guy (once decided to have a clean desk etc.). Since cartridges work fine with MESS, I thought that one could cross assemble and create cartridges. Do you know if 9995 and 9900 and very much alike ?

                                          /quote
                                          The driver IMHO seems fine to me. The only thing it lacks is cassette. Otherwise it's pretty complete; it even has parallel port support.

                                          I'm myself (between Classilla and TTYtter and all my other projects) trying to get the Tutor to reliably load and save "via tape" to my Power Mac. I've got the tape system decoded and I can actually frame the bit stream and look at the data it writes to cassette, but I can't get the Tutor to *load* from the Mac. I don't think it's the Mac; I remember trying to use a friend's Windows machine to do the same thing and having the same problem.
                                          /unquote

                                          Thanks. I looked at the notes in MESS source ...

                                          /quote
                                          TODO:
                                          * debug the tape interface (Saved tapes sound OK, both Verify and Load recognize the tape as a Tomy tape, but the data seems to be corrupted and we end with a read error.)
                                          /unquote

                                          I tried to make small programs and save to tape using MESS with both TI-99/4A and Tomy Tutor. I listened to the wave files produced and they sound alright. Different but as I remember the sounds from way back in the early eighties. I loaded the TI file back into the TI-99/4A, and audio feedback was as expected. All went well. I tried and load the Tomy file back into Tomy Tutor (remember I'm an all emulator guy), and at first it sounded as the wave file, then it sounded as if it was changing to a higher pitch/tune and then came the data sounding different (the MESS audio feedback was different from just listening to the wave file) and rather quickly an error occurs (feedback continues). This is what I get:
                                          ?U FIND
                                          * READY
                                          In both cases the audio format are 16 bits mono 44100 Hz, and the actually data recorded are 1 bit. It looks like it's being held for 64 samples with the TI and 50 samples with the Tomy.

                                          :-)
                                        • kabldb
                                          Message 20 of 25 , Feb 19, 2010
                                            Yeah, if not scans, then let us have pictures of adapter, boxes and tape.

                                            :-)

                                            Message 21 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                                              > > Once I figure out what I'm doing wrong (I suspect I need to make a little
                                              > > circuit to adjust the audio to what the Tutor is expecting), then we can
                                              > > even cross-develop and I'll post my work and source code.
                                              >
                                              > Would that be 9995 assembly language programming or Basic ?

                                              No, the cross-tape reader is written in Perl, actually. The source is
                                              pretty easy to understand. When I get it finished, it will accept image
                                              files and BASIC text. The Tomy OS, TTBOMK, offers no way to load machine
                                              code from tape through the ROM routines (this makes sense, because it is

                                              > I'm an emulator only guy (once decided to have a clean desk etc.). Since
                                              > cartridges work fine with MESS, I thought that one could cross assemble and
                                              > create cartridges. Do you know if 9995 and 9900 and very much alike ?

                                              If you write 9900 code, it should work fine on the 9995. The only difference
                                              with the 9995 is the built-in scratchpad RAM and the 8-bit muxed data bus,
                                              which is for most intents and purposes irrelevant to the program (remember,
                                              the 99/8 is a 9995 also, and the 99/4 has the same scratchpad RAM, just
                                              external to the CPU).

                                              However, no one has really done much analysis of how to get a ROM to autostart
                                              and some cartridges may contain Tomy GPL, which is not at all the same as TI
                                              GPL (as demonstrated by experimentation with the Pyuuta mark II, which has a
                                              very different CLA than the Pyuuta and Tutor).

                                              > TODO:
                                              > * debug the tape interface (Saved tapes sound OK, both Verify and Load
                                              > recognize the tape as a Tomy tape, but the data seems to be corrupted and
                                              > we end with a read error.)

                                              I'm glad Raphael had the same problem -- that proves I'm not totally
                                              incompetent! :-D

                                              > I tried to make small programs and save to tape using MESS with both
                                              > TI-99/4A and Tomy Tutor. I listened to the wave files produced and they
                                              > sound alright. Different but as I remember the sounds from way back in the
                                              > early eighties.

                                              The TI and the Tomy have totally different tape formats. IIRC, the TI is
                                              based on AFSK, while the Tomy uses a purely digital pulse system similar to
                                              the Commodore, although the bit framing is totally different. The tape
                                              systems are wholly incompatible, unfortunately, so the research done into
                                              the TI CS1 formats is no good here.

                                              -- Nuclear war would really set back cable. -- Ted Turner ---------------------
                                            • kabldb
                                              Message 22 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                                                > > > Once I figure out what I'm doing wrong (I suspect I need to make a little
                                                > > > circuit to adjust the audio to what the Tutor is expecting), then we can
                                                > > > even cross-develop and I'll post my work and source code.
                                                > >
                                                > > Would that be 9995 assembly language programming or Basic ?
                                                >
                                                > No, the cross-tape reader is written in Perl, actually. The source is
                                                > pretty easy to understand. When I get it finished, it will accept image
                                                > files and BASIC text. The Tomy OS, TTBOMK, offers no way to load machine
                                                > code from tape through the ROM routines (this makes sense, because it is

                                                Okay, so the cross-develop would be Basic.

                                                > > I'm an emulator only guy (once decided to have a clean desk etc.). Since
                                                > > cartridges work fine with MESS, I thought that one could cross assemble and
                                                > > create cartridges. Do you know if 9995 and 9900 and very much alike ?
                                                >
                                                > If you write 9900 code, it should work fine on the 9995. The only difference
                                                > with the 9995 is the built-in scratchpad RAM and the 8-bit muxed data bus,
                                                > which is for most intents and purposes irrelevant to the program (remember,
                                                > the 99/8 is a 9995 also, and the 99/4 has the same scratchpad RAM, just
                                                > external to the CPU).
                                                >
                                                > However, no one has really done much analysis of how to get a ROM to autostart
                                                > and some cartridges may contain Tomy GPL, which is not at all the same as TI
                                                > GPL (as demonstrated by experimentation with the Pyuuta mark II, which has a
                                                > very different CLA than the Pyuuta and Tutor).

                                                I think there's enough info in the MESS source to work things out.

                                                > > I tried to make small programs and save to tape using MESS with both
                                                > > TI-99/4A and Tomy Tutor. I listened to the wave files produced and they
                                                > > sound alright. Different but as I remember the sounds from way back in the
                                                > > early eighties.
                                                >
                                                > The TI and the Tomy have totally different tape formats. IIRC, the TI is
                                                > based on AFSK, while the Tomy uses a purely digital pulse system similar to
                                                > the Commodore, although the bit framing is totally different. The tape
                                                > systems are wholly incompatible, unfortunately, so the research done into
                                                > the TI CS1 formats is no good here.

                                                Well, I wasn't actually trying to cross anything over there. Let's just only talk Tomy Tutor not to confuse anything. When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds. I know it's a strange discovery, and it is probably leading nowhere. I've uploaded the 2 recordings. When the load error occurs at 10.5 seconds the volume of feedback is lowered.

                                                ;-)
                                                Message 23 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                                                  > When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a
                                                  > constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in
                                                  > MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds.

                                                  I'm not desperately relying on MESS as a source of veracity regarding the
                                                  tape. Once I have it working with the real Tutor, I'll probably focus on
                                                  MESS at that point.

                                                  -- The best things in life are sold out. --------------------------------------
                                                • kabldb
                                                  Message 24 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                                                    > > When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a
                                                    > > constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in
                                                    > > MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds.
                                                    >
                                                    > I'm not desperately relying on MESS as a source of veracity regarding the
                                                    > tape. Once I have it working with the real Tutor, I'll probably focus on
                                                    > MESS at that point.

                                                    No, why should you, it's broken. I was only trying to help. I would have expected the feedback to be very much like the saved file. And I thought that this info might raise an eyebrow and maybe give input to tackle the cassette problem from other angles. Not that you have to or anything.

                                                    ;-)
                                                    Message 25 of 25 , Feb 20, 2010
                                                      > > > When I save from Basic the file created starts with something like a
                                                      > > > constant tone for 8.5 seconds. When I load the same file the feedback in
                                                      > > > MESS only has 2.5 seconds. Both sounds last for 16.5 seconds.
                                                      > >
                                                      > > I'm not desperately relying on MESS as a source of veracity regarding the
                                                      > > tape. Once I have it working with the real Tutor, I'll probably focus on
                                                      > > MESS at that point.
                                                      >
                                                      > No, why should you, it's broken. I was only trying to help. I would have
                                                      > expected the feedback to be very much like the saved file. And I thought
                                                      > that this info might raise an eyebrow and maybe give input to tackle the
                                                      > cassette problem from other angles. Not that you have to or anything.

                                                      I apologize if it sounded like I was brushing it off, but I assure you the
                                                      lead-in is not the problem; I can detect that easily. Even if I make the
                                                      lead-in sequence longer, it does not get detected by the machine. Like I say,
                                                      I suspect there is something different about either how the Data Recorder
                                                      writes the data, *or* how it plays it back, and that should be duplicatable
                                                      either in software or with a trivial analogue circuit.

                                                      -- IBM is not a necessary evil. IBM is not necessary. -- Ted Nelson -----------