Re: [Tomy Tutor] Pyuuta, Jr. Question

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2 12:58 PM
      > I have a question as to the Pyuuta, Jr.: Since it is of course the
      > abridged version of the Pyuuta (Mk I)/Tutor computer, it has no keyboard
      > other than thefour arrow keys and the Palette (Pallet) and Enter (instead
      > of RT) buttons (all located on the console itself), and has no composite
      > video output (RF only), then am I led to believe that its video display
      > processor would be the Texas Instruments model TMS9928A

      No. None of my Jrs have a 9928A. See for yourself:

      http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/pyuuta/pyuutajr.html

      > But the Pyuuta Mk II full-sized computer, although it had a better design
      > of keyboard, also lacked composite video output, which means it too would
      > have used the TMS9928A VDP instead of the TMS9918A used for the
      > Pyuuta (Mk I) and the USA-market Tutor.

      Also no:

      http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/pyuuta/pyuuta2.html

      I think the key point is that the systems do in fact make regular composite
      video internally (it's just not exposed on the rear ports); otherwise,
      tapping the RF modulator to get composite video wouldn't work.

      > Also, all the text programmed in
      > the machine is in English (the Pyuuta, Jr. also contracted this particular
      > programming mishap).

      Right, but the explanation is simpler; the Mk II has the same ROM as the
      Tutor-1.

      I don't understand why Tomy made the Jr English. I agree that was a poor
      decision given its target market.

      -- Make welfare as hard to get as building permits. ---------------------------