Pyuuta, Jr. Question

  • Benjamin Edge
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 31, 2009
      Hi,

      I have a question as to the Pyuuta, Jr.: Since it is of course the abridged version of the Pyuuta (Mk I)/Tutor computer, it has no keyboard other than the four arrow keys and the Palette (Pallet) and Enter (instead of RT) buttons (all located on the console itself), and has no composite video output (RF only), then am I led to believe that its video display processor would be the Texas Instruments model TMS9928A (as opposed to the TMS9918A VDP used for the Pyuuta (Mk I)/Tutor, both of which support composite video)? Why?? With the obvious absence of the numerical keys 0-9 and the first six QWERTY keys, to select color numbers when in graphic mode, two triangle-shaped cursor keys are used instead, in conjunction with the four arrow keys.

      The TMS9918A chip was designed to support composite video output while both the TMS9928A and TMS9929A were aimed at RF video output (this sends out YPbPr, or, more precisely, the luminance/color difference signals known as Y, R-Y and B-Y). The TMS9929A was the only variation in the 9900 family available which supports the PAL and SECAM video formats. Outputting through RF modulation proved cheaper than to make an equivalent of the NTSC-market chip to output composite video specifically for these (mostly) European markets.

      But the Pyuuta Mk II full-sized computer, although it had a better design of keyboard, also lacked composite video output, which means it too would have used the TMS9928A VDP instead of the TMS9918A used for the Pyuuta (Mk I) and the USA-market Tutor. Also, all the text programmed in the machine is in English (the Pyuuta, Jr. also contracted this particular programming mishap).

      ~Ben

      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2009
        > I have a question as to the Pyuuta, Jr.: Since it is of course the
        > abridged version of the Pyuuta (Mk I)/Tutor computer, it has no keyboard
        > other than thefour arrow keys and the Palette (Pallet) and Enter (instead
        > of RT) buttons (all located on the console itself), and has no composite
        > video output (RF only), then am I led to believe that its video display
        > processor would be the Texas Instruments model TMS9928A

        No. None of my Jrs have a 9928A. See for yourself:

        http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/pyuuta/pyuutajr.html

        > But the Pyuuta Mk II full-sized computer, although it had a better design
        > of keyboard, also lacked composite video output, which means it too would
        > have used the TMS9928A VDP instead of the TMS9918A used for the
        > Pyuuta (Mk I) and the USA-market Tutor.

        Also no:

        http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/pyuuta/pyuuta2.html

        I think the key point is that the systems do in fact make regular composite
        video internally (it's just not exposed on the rear ports); otherwise,
        tapping the RF modulator to get composite video wouldn't work.

        > Also, all the text programmed in
        > the machine is in English (the Pyuuta, Jr. also contracted this particular
        > programming mishap).

        Right, but the explanation is simpler; the Mk II has the same ROM as the
        Tutor-1.

        I don't understand why Tomy made the Jr English. I agree that was a poor
        decision given its target market.

        -- Make welfare as hard to get as building permits. ---------------------------