Re: [Tomy Tutor ] Hi - I've become obsessed over the Tomy Tutor

  • Kanton Levine
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
      --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@...> wrote:
      > If anything, the Tutor is most like the 99/8, although it's not a
      clone
      > of that either. See
      >
      > http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/ti-vs-tomy.html

      Thanks for the link!
      One thing that I noticed was the part on video capabilities:
      Lately some people have been working on replacing the 9918A video
      card on the TI with the 9928 which outputs component rather than
      composite... with at least one success so far but I don't know if
      such a thing is possible (or even desirable) for either the Tutor or
      the Pyuuta's....

      With these consoles being so rare compared to the TI-99/4A, I can
      imagine its not an experiment anyone would want to actually try.

      Somehow I doubt it but I'm just a layman who comes up with crazy
      ideas!

      Anyway, here is the paragraph I read from your link:

      Video Capabilities
      The Tutor has the 9918ANL, same as the 99/8, which is functionally
      equivalent to the 9918A in the 99/4A (but not the 9918 in the 99/4).
      As such, it has the same screen resolution, characteristics and
      sprite capabilities.

      > Pyuutas turn up now and then. The last one I saw was up around four
      months
      > ago and sold for a few hundred.

      As far as gameplay (not computing) is concerned, what is the main
      difference between using a Pyuuta vs. a Tutor? I am kinda under the
      impression that they will both play games from the other console, but
      I haven't been able to actually ask someone with both.

      > > Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself,
      >
      > Welcome! :)

      Thanks... I'm just glad there is still anyone at all into this
      obscure and really fascinating console...

      http://www.cameronkaiser.com/ --

      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
        > Thanks for the link!
        > One thing that I noticed was the part on video capabilities:
        > Lately some people have been working on replacing the 9918A video
        > card on the TI with the 9928 which outputs component rather than
        > composite... with at least one success so far but I don't know if
        > such a thing is possible (or even desirable) for either the Tutor or
        > the Pyuuta's....

        I can't find a reason why it wouldn't work, but as you say,

        > With these consoles being so rare compared to the TI-99/4A, I can
        > imagine its not an experiment anyone would want to actually try.

        ... right. I'd hate to be wrong and ruin a 9928, not to mention a Tutor.

        > As far as gameplay (not computing) is concerned, what is the main
        > difference between using a Pyuuta vs. a Tutor? I am kinda under the
        > impression that they will both play games from the other console, but
        > I haven't been able to actually ask someone with both.

        A Pyuuta will run almost every cartridge that a Tutor will, except for
        "3-D series" games which require extra addressing lines (there were
        converters for these) that are not on the Pyuuta, and Car-Azy Racer will
        run but be effectively unplayable because there are no lower-case characters.

        Similarly, a regular Tutor will run all Pyuuta games, but they may not
        appear in Japanese (and they may be garbled).

        For an example of this, look at the Scramble screenshot on the catalogue
        page:

        http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/carts.html

        > Thanks... I'm just glad there is still anyone at all into this
        > obscure and really fascinating console...

        It's not really a console, though (except the Pyuuta Jr which really *is*
        a console) -- it was and remains targetted as a computer. It's just a shame
        that Tomy never let it progress very far.

        -- Isn't it odd how Mac users are loyal to Apple, but not always vice versa? --
      • Kanton Levine
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 6, 2007
          --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@...> wrote:

          >> I can't find a reason why it wouldn't work, but as you say,
          >
          > > With these consoles being so rare compared to the TI-99/4A, I can
          > > imagine its not an experiment anyone would want to actually try.
          >
          > ... right. I'd hate to be wrong and ruin a 9928, not to mention a
          Tutor.

          Well the 9928 can be obtained for $10.00 at
          http://www.arcadechips.com/product_info.php?products_id=85

          The process has been done successfully by DjPubba on AtariAge forums:
          http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105191&st=75

          The problem is the risk to the Tutor. Once I find one, I don't know
          if I'd be willing to risk it.

          > > Thanks... I'm just glad there is still anyone at all into this
          > > obscure and really fascinating console...
          >
          > It's not really a console, though (except the Pyuuta Jr which
          really *is*
          > a console) -- it was and remains targetted as a computer. It's just
          a shame
          > that Tomy never let it progress very far.

          Sorry, you are correct, it is *not* a console, I just have a bad
          habit of calling it that as my main desire is to use it to play games.

          I do the same thing with the TI-99/4a, even though it's not a console
          either, and I even did loads of Basic programming as a kid. I guess
          because I'm only interested in using them to play games (and to
          preserve them), I may slip and call them consoles...