Hi - I've become obsessed over the Tomy Tutor

  • Kanton Levine
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
      Hi,

      I thought I'd introduce myself. Me and my wife are in our mid to
      late 30's and are into both modern gaming and classic gaming.

      I have always been obsessed with the TI-99/4A, and still play mine
      all the time,
      and just recently became aware of the Tomy Tutor, which I understand
      is not a clone, but is similiar in many ways.

      And of course its just my luck that its more or less immpossible to
      find one (I've been looking for the Japanese version on Yahoo Japan,
      but no luck so far)...

      I'm patient though, I've seen that it has been sold over the last
      year once from the Italian Ebay, and another time from the Dutch
      one.

      Even if I found one, it would probably be out of my price range at
      the moment but that won't stop me from getting to know people who own
      or have owned them, and to learn more about them collect pictures and
      stuff...

      Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself,

      Kanton Levine
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
        > I have always been obsessed with the TI-99/4A, and still play mine
        > all the time,
        > and just recently became aware of the Tomy Tutor, which I understand
        > is not a clone, but is similiar in many ways.

        If anything, the Tutor is most like the 99/8, although it's not a clone
        of that either. See

        http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/ti-vs-tomy.html

        > I'm patient though, I've seen that it has been sold over the last
        > year once from the Italian Ebay, and another time from the Dutch
        > one.

        Pyuutas turn up now and then. The last one I saw was up around four months
        ago and sold for a few hundred.

        > Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself,

        Welcome! :)

        -- PowerPC inside! ------------------------------------------------------------
      • Kanton Levine
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
          --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@...> wrote:
          > If anything, the Tutor is most like the 99/8, although it's not a
          clone
          > of that either. See
          >
          > http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/ti-vs-tomy.html

          Thanks for the link!
          One thing that I noticed was the part on video capabilities:
          Lately some people have been working on replacing the 9918A video
          card on the TI with the 9928 which outputs component rather than
          composite... with at least one success so far but I don't know if
          such a thing is possible (or even desirable) for either the Tutor or
          the Pyuuta's....

          With these consoles being so rare compared to the TI-99/4A, I can
          imagine its not an experiment anyone would want to actually try.

          Somehow I doubt it but I'm just a layman who comes up with crazy
          ideas!

          Anyway, here is the paragraph I read from your link:

          Video Capabilities
          The Tutor has the 9918ANL, same as the 99/8, which is functionally
          equivalent to the 9918A in the 99/4A (but not the 9918 in the 99/4).
          As such, it has the same screen resolution, characteristics and
          sprite capabilities.

          > Pyuutas turn up now and then. The last one I saw was up around four
          months
          > ago and sold for a few hundred.

          As far as gameplay (not computing) is concerned, what is the main
          difference between using a Pyuuta vs. a Tutor? I am kinda under the
          impression that they will both play games from the other console, but
          I haven't been able to actually ask someone with both.

          > > Anyway, just thought I'd introduce myself,
          >
          > Welcome! :)

          Thanks... I'm just glad there is still anyone at all into this
          obscure and really fascinating console...

          http://www.cameronkaiser.com/ --

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 5, 2007
            > Thanks for the link!
            > One thing that I noticed was the part on video capabilities:
            > Lately some people have been working on replacing the 9918A video
            > card on the TI with the 9928 which outputs component rather than
            > composite... with at least one success so far but I don't know if
            > such a thing is possible (or even desirable) for either the Tutor or
            > the Pyuuta's....

            I can't find a reason why it wouldn't work, but as you say,

            > With these consoles being so rare compared to the TI-99/4A, I can
            > imagine its not an experiment anyone would want to actually try.

            ... right. I'd hate to be wrong and ruin a 9928, not to mention a Tutor.

            > As far as gameplay (not computing) is concerned, what is the main
            > difference between using a Pyuuta vs. a Tutor? I am kinda under the
            > impression that they will both play games from the other console, but
            > I haven't been able to actually ask someone with both.

            A Pyuuta will run almost every cartridge that a Tutor will, except for
            "3-D series" games which require extra addressing lines (there were
            converters for these) that are not on the Pyuuta, and Car-Azy Racer will
            run but be effectively unplayable because there are no lower-case characters.

            Similarly, a regular Tutor will run all Pyuuta games, but they may not
            appear in Japanese (and they may be garbled).

            For an example of this, look at the Scramble screenshot on the catalogue
            page:

            http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/carts.html

            > Thanks... I'm just glad there is still anyone at all into this
            > obscure and really fascinating console...

            It's not really a console, though (except the Pyuuta Jr which really *is*
            a console) -- it was and remains targetted as a computer. It's just a shame
            that Tomy never let it progress very far.

            -- Isn't it odd how Mac users are loyal to Apple, but not always vice versa? --
          • Kanton Levine
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 6, 2007
              --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@...> wrote:

              >> I can't find a reason why it wouldn't work, but as you say,
              >
              > > With these consoles being so rare compared to the TI-99/4A, I can
              > > imagine its not an experiment anyone would want to actually try.
              >
              > ... right. I'd hate to be wrong and ruin a 9928, not to mention a
              Tutor.

              Well the 9928 can be obtained for $10.00 at
              http://www.arcadechips.com/product_info.php?products_id=85

              The process has been done successfully by DjPubba on AtariAge forums:
              http://www.atariage.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=105191&st=75

              The problem is the risk to the Tutor. Once I find one, I don't know
              if I'd be willing to risk it.

              > > Thanks... I'm just glad there is still anyone at all into this
              > > obscure and really fascinating console...
              >
              > It's not really a console, though (except the Pyuuta Jr which
              really *is*
              > a console) -- it was and remains targetted as a computer. It's just
              a shame
              > that Tomy never let it progress very far.

              Sorry, you are correct, it is *not* a console, I just have a bad
              habit of calling it that as my main desire is to use it to play games.

              I do the same thing with the TI-99/4a, even though it's not a console
              either, and I even did loads of Basic programming as a kid. I guess
              because I'm only interested in using them to play games (and to
              preserve them), I may slip and call them consoles...