Re: [Tomy Tutor ] I thought i would be lonely forever...

    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 6, 2006
      > > Dan Bunten wrote the game M.U.L.E. which some o' ye may remember.
      >
      > Later to become Danielle (no, I'm not kidding).

      Yup. Do some programmers like unix so much they become eunuchs?

      Back in the 80s, Electronic Arts wanted to become a collection
      of "electronic artists" -- promising to put the names of the designers,
      artists, visionaries right on the boxes; in short, rock-star promotion.

      Now, I if I think about it, I can name dozens of rock stars and groups,
      but only a few software visionaries. Seems somewhere along the line,
      the names stopped being put on the boxes. Here're the names of a few
      game visionaries that I remember:

      Dan Bunten (aka Dani Bunten Berry)
      Bill Budge
      Will Wright
      Richard Garriott (aka Lord British)
      Ryo Kawasaki
      Steve Crane

      Okay, done. Pitifully short list! Yes, we remember the names of the
      publishers much more easily. We remember that Epyx was the publisher
      for Jumpman -- but do we remember the programmer? We remember
      Broderbund for The Castles Of Dr. Creep... but can't remember who
      actually wrote the game.

      Funny how that works. In the literary world, you know Stephen King and
      Dean Koontz... but do you remember who published their last few books?