[Tomy Tutor ] Re: Pyuuta Jr. Innards

  • haohmaruus
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
      I'll try those out when I get home from work and let you know.
      Anything else? Do any of the Pyuuta/Tutor emulators support the Pyuuta
      Jr? Because I do have an EPROM reader and I *might* be willing to risk
      desoldering the ROM from the thing and dumping it. But only after I've
      had the thing for a few months and thoroughly enjoyed all the games,
      in case I end up screwing it up.

      Also, I'll keep an eye open for another Pyuuta Jr. If I see one, I'll
      let you know. Do you have some price limit in mind? The boxed ones
      seem to go for way way waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than the
      loose ones.
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
        > I'll try those out when I get home from work and let you know.
        > Anything else? Do any of the Pyuuta/Tutor emulators support the Pyuuta
        > Jr? Because I do have an EPROM reader and I *might* be willing to risk
        > desoldering the ROM from the thing and dumping it. But only after I've
        > had the thing for a few months and thoroughly enjoyed all the games,
        > in case I end up screwing it up.

        Absolutely -- that was why I was very antsy about desoldering the ROMs
        out of my Pyuuta. (The Pyuuta II has the same ROMs as the American Tutor,
        fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your point of view.)

        The graphic mode just looks so much different that I'm trying to figure out
        how it works. When you're able to get that screenshot of MONitor mode, that
        would complete the photography I think :)

        No emulator supports the Jr, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Although
        the CLA is different, the base architecture should be compatible enough to
        allow the ROM to boot. It might not work right in a Tomy Tutor emulator if
        a cartridge were present, but it should still come up into GRAPHIC mode if
        one were not.

        > Also, I'll keep an eye open for another Pyuuta Jr. If I see one, I'll
        > let you know. Do you have some price limit in mind? The boxed ones
        > seem to go for way way waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than the
        > loose ones.

        I imagine so -_- at this point, I'd be happy to get *any* unit. I'm very
        flexible about prices and I can draw up international money orders in yen
        (my Pyuuta and Ultimax were Japanese imports from Aki), so I've done
        these kinds of things before. I just need a lead on one ...

        Thanks so much for entertaining my little fandom seizure on this. :)

        -- If you're not very clever, you should be conciliatory. -- Benjamin Disraeli
      • haohmaruus
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
          Okie doke, here's a picture of the MONITOR:

          http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutamon.jpg

          I'll try out those commands you were asking about tomorrow.