Re: [Tomy Tutor ] Pyuuta Jr. Innards

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
      > > One other screenshot, if I could impose -- what does Graphic mode look
      > > like? Were you able to get into the MONitor at all?
      >
      > When I hit mode three times and then hit monitor, a little menu appears
      > at the bottom of the screen with the following options:
      >
      > SAVE LOAD VERIFY GRAPH MENU
      >
      > SAVE, LOAD, and VERIFY make the screen flash a bit and then the system
      > locks up. GRAPH seems to just bring you back to the GRAPHIC program,
      > and MENU brings you back out to the beginning menu. I'll get you a
      > screenshot of it tomorrow.

      That would be great!

      Two more things, since MONitor is different: could you also take a picture of
      GRAPHIC mode after it starts (with the palette below) so I can see how
      colour selection works, and then press MOD twice to turn on sprites and take
      a picture of that? I want to see how the sprite colour and palette colour
      selection differs.

      That's all the MONitor does in the Pyuuta and Tutors, too, except that it
      offers GBASIC specific commands as well and you type them in. Your report
      suggests that the Jr doesn't have GBASIC, and frankly, I can't say I'm
      surprised.

      It would be interesting to find out if saved images/GBASIC programs from a
      Tutor or Pyuuta could work (at least the image and sprite forks) on a Jr.,
      but that'll have to wait until we find one with a cassette port. -_-

      Again, thanks so much. When I collect all of this, I will post them on the
      Little Orphan site so at least there can be a moderately comprehensive Jr
      entry until I get one of my own. *rubs hands*

      -- Proudly running on the Apple Network Server 500/200 ------------------------
    • haohmaruus
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
        Here's GRAPHIC at start up:

        http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutagraph1.jpg

        And here it is after pressing mode twice:

        http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutagraph2.jpg
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
          > Here's GRAPHIC at start up:
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutagraph1.jpg
          >
          > And here it is after pressing mode twice:
          >
          > http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutagraph2.jpg

          Interesting. What happens with the "SEL" and "REV" business -- what does it
          seem to do (in either mode)? When it says "press [1] to fill," what is it
          filling in?

          -- BOND THEME NOW PLAYING: "Live and Let Die" ---------------------------------
        • haohmaruus
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
            I'll try those out when I get home from work and let you know.
            Anything else? Do any of the Pyuuta/Tutor emulators support the Pyuuta
            Jr? Because I do have an EPROM reader and I *might* be willing to risk
            desoldering the ROM from the thing and dumping it. But only after I've
            had the thing for a few months and thoroughly enjoyed all the games,
            in case I end up screwing it up.

            Also, I'll keep an eye open for another Pyuuta Jr. If I see one, I'll
            let you know. Do you have some price limit in mind? The boxed ones
            seem to go for way way waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than the
            loose ones.
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
              > I'll try those out when I get home from work and let you know.
              > Anything else? Do any of the Pyuuta/Tutor emulators support the Pyuuta
              > Jr? Because I do have an EPROM reader and I *might* be willing to risk
              > desoldering the ROM from the thing and dumping it. But only after I've
              > had the thing for a few months and thoroughly enjoyed all the games,
              > in case I end up screwing it up.

              Absolutely -- that was why I was very antsy about desoldering the ROMs
              out of my Pyuuta. (The Pyuuta II has the same ROMs as the American Tutor,
              fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your point of view.)

              The graphic mode just looks so much different that I'm trying to figure out
              how it works. When you're able to get that screenshot of MONitor mode, that
              would complete the photography I think :)

              No emulator supports the Jr, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Although
              the CLA is different, the base architecture should be compatible enough to
              allow the ROM to boot. It might not work right in a Tomy Tutor emulator if
              a cartridge were present, but it should still come up into GRAPHIC mode if
              one were not.

              > Also, I'll keep an eye open for another Pyuuta Jr. If I see one, I'll
              > let you know. Do you have some price limit in mind? The boxed ones
              > seem to go for way way waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than the
              > loose ones.

              I imagine so -_- at this point, I'd be happy to get *any* unit. I'm very
              flexible about prices and I can draw up international money orders in yen
              (my Pyuuta and Ultimax were Japanese imports from Aki), so I've done
              these kinds of things before. I just need a lead on one ...

              Thanks so much for entertaining my little fandom seizure on this. :)

              -- If you're not very clever, you should be conciliatory. -- Benjamin Disraeli
            • haohmaruus
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
                Okie doke, here's a picture of the MONITOR:

                http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutamon.jpg

                I'll try out those commands you were asking about tomorrow.