Re: [Tomy Tutor ] Pyuuta Jr. Innards

    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 8, 2005
      > I just don't understand where it's supposed to plug in. There's
      > literally three plugs on the Pyuuta Jr: The power cable, the RF port,
      > and the joystick port.

      Hmm. There is one thing interesting on your board, though -- it says Puuta
      [sic] Jr **B**. I wonder if the A was differently configured.

      -- Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary, use words. -- St Francis
    • haohmaruus
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 8, 2005
        Hmm, so maybe the previous board rev had the necessary controller and
        port for the cassette drive. This board looks pretty densely populated
        for that era, though, so it's hard to imagine where they'd put it.

        Once I have a game for the thing, I'm going to remove the circuit
        board so I can trace the wires going to the joystick port and
        hopefully backwards-engineer the pinout. I'll post the pinout, of
        course, but I'll also look on the bottom of the board for any
        interesting information written on the silk screen.
      • haohmaruus
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 8, 2005
          Here's a picture of the boot screen:

          http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutaboot.jpg

          And here's a picture of the menu:

          http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutamenu.jpg
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 8, 2005
            > Here's a picture of the boot screen:
            >
            > http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutaboot.jpg
            >
            > And here's a picture of the menu:
            >
            > http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutamenu.jpg

            Interesting that it's in English. v2.2 ... Tutors and the Pyuuta II have
            v2.3.

            -- MOVIE IDEA: E-mailsignaturebusters -----------------------------------------
          • haohmaruus
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 8, 2005
              > Interesting that it's in English. v2.2 ... Tutors and the Pyuuta II
              have
              > v2.3.

              Huh. I wonder why the newer Pyuuta Jr. would be of a earlier revision
              than the older Pyuutas and Tutors? The whole English thing is
              confusing, too. Perhaps they wanted to keep the door open to a US
              release.
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 8, 2005
                > > Interesting that it's in English. v2.2 ... Tutors and the Pyuuta II
                > > have v2.3.
                >
                > Huh. I wonder why the newer Pyuuta Jr. would be of a earlier revision
                > than the older Pyuutas and Tutors? The whole English thing is
                > confusing, too. Perhaps they wanted to keep the door open to a US
                > release.

                Well, the Pyuuta II was also in English, but it basically was identical
                to the US Tomy Tutor ROM-1, so that's its explanation. I'm not sure why
                this uses the earlier revision either, unless the version numbering is
                specific to the Jr and not the whole line (after all, you do have a board
                rev B, so maybe there were ROM changes also between rev A and rev B and
                the ROM version numbers are not comparable).

                One other screenshot, if I could impose -- what does Graphic mode look
                like? Were you able to get into the MONitor at all?

                Thanks and sorry to be a pain; this is my first chance to see one of these
                things in action.

                -- The things which hurt, instruct. -- Benjamin Franklin ----------------------
              • haohmaruus
                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 8, 2005
                  > One other screenshot, if I could impose -- what does Graphic mode look
                  > like? Were you able to get into the MONitor at all?

                  When I hit mode three times and then hit monitor, a little menu appears
                  at the bottom of the screen with the following options:

                  SAVE LOAD VERIFY GRAPH MENU

                  SAVE, LOAD, and VERIFY make the screen flash a bit and then the system
                  locks up. GRAPH seems to just bring you back to the GRAPHIC program,
                  and MENU brings you back out to the beginning menu. I'll get you a
                  screenshot of it tomorrow.

                  > Thanks and sorry to be a pain; this is my first chance to see one of
                  these
                  > things in action.

                  Not at all! Usually when I get something insanely obscure, even
                  most "classic" gamers or computer fans don't care at all. If you bring
                  up the Pyuuta or PV-1000 or FM-7 or GX4000 or Cassette Vision to them,
                  their eyes just glaze over and they go back to talking about Atari and
                  Commodore. So it's nice for once to not be the only one enthusiastic
                  about getting something so cool and rare.
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                    > > One other screenshot, if I could impose -- what does Graphic mode look
                    > > like? Were you able to get into the MONitor at all?
                    >
                    > When I hit mode three times and then hit monitor, a little menu appears
                    > at the bottom of the screen with the following options:
                    >
                    > SAVE LOAD VERIFY GRAPH MENU
                    >
                    > SAVE, LOAD, and VERIFY make the screen flash a bit and then the system
                    > locks up. GRAPH seems to just bring you back to the GRAPHIC program,
                    > and MENU brings you back out to the beginning menu. I'll get you a
                    > screenshot of it tomorrow.

                    That would be great!

                    Two more things, since MONitor is different: could you also take a picture of
                    GRAPHIC mode after it starts (with the palette below) so I can see how
                    colour selection works, and then press MOD twice to turn on sprites and take
                    a picture of that? I want to see how the sprite colour and palette colour
                    selection differs.

                    That's all the MONitor does in the Pyuuta and Tutors, too, except that it
                    offers GBASIC specific commands as well and you type them in. Your report
                    suggests that the Jr doesn't have GBASIC, and frankly, I can't say I'm
                    surprised.

                    It would be interesting to find out if saved images/GBASIC programs from a
                    Tutor or Pyuuta could work (at least the image and sprite forks) on a Jr.,
                    but that'll have to wait until we find one with a cassette port. -_-

                    Again, thanks so much. When I collect all of this, I will post them on the
                    Little Orphan site so at least there can be a moderately comprehensive Jr
                    entry until I get one of my own. *rubs hands*

                    -- Proudly running on the Apple Network Server 500/200 ------------------------
                  • haohmaruus
                    Message 9 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                      Here's GRAPHIC at start up:

                      http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutagraph1.jpg

                      And here it is after pressing mode twice:

                      http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutagraph2.jpg
                      Message 10 of 21 , Aug 9, 2005
                        > Here's GRAPHIC at start up:
                        >
                        > http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutagraph1.jpg
                        >
                        > And here it is after pressing mode twice:
                        >
                        > http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutagraph2.jpg

                        Interesting. What happens with the "SEL" and "REV" business -- what does it
                        seem to do (in either mode)? When it says "press [1] to fill," what is it
                        filling in?

                        -- BOND THEME NOW PLAYING: "Live and Let Die" ---------------------------------
                      • haohmaruus
                        Message 11 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
                          I'll try those out when I get home from work and let you know.
                          Anything else? Do any of the Pyuuta/Tutor emulators support the Pyuuta
                          Jr? Because I do have an EPROM reader and I *might* be willing to risk
                          desoldering the ROM from the thing and dumping it. But only after I've
                          had the thing for a few months and thoroughly enjoyed all the games,
                          in case I end up screwing it up.

                          Also, I'll keep an eye open for another Pyuuta Jr. If I see one, I'll
                          let you know. Do you have some price limit in mind? The boxed ones
                          seem to go for way way waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than the
                          loose ones.
                          Message 12 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
                            > I'll try those out when I get home from work and let you know.
                            > Anything else? Do any of the Pyuuta/Tutor emulators support the Pyuuta
                            > Jr? Because I do have an EPROM reader and I *might* be willing to risk
                            > desoldering the ROM from the thing and dumping it. But only after I've
                            > had the thing for a few months and thoroughly enjoyed all the games,
                            > in case I end up screwing it up.

                            Absolutely -- that was why I was very antsy about desoldering the ROMs
                            out of my Pyuuta. (The Pyuuta II has the same ROMs as the American Tutor,
                            fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your point of view.)

                            The graphic mode just looks so much different that I'm trying to figure out
                            how it works. When you're able to get that screenshot of MONitor mode, that
                            would complete the photography I think :)

                            No emulator supports the Jr, but I don't see why it wouldn't work. Although
                            the CLA is different, the base architecture should be compatible enough to
                            allow the ROM to boot. It might not work right in a Tomy Tutor emulator if
                            a cartridge were present, but it should still come up into GRAPHIC mode if
                            one were not.

                            > Also, I'll keep an eye open for another Pyuuta Jr. If I see one, I'll
                            > let you know. Do you have some price limit in mind? The boxed ones
                            > seem to go for way way waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more than the
                            > loose ones.

                            I imagine so -_- at this point, I'd be happy to get *any* unit. I'm very
                            flexible about prices and I can draw up international money orders in yen
                            (my Pyuuta and Ultimax were Japanese imports from Aki), so I've done
                            these kinds of things before. I just need a lead on one ...

                            Thanks so much for entertaining my little fandom seizure on this. :)

                            -- If you're not very clever, you should be conciliatory. -- Benjamin Disraeli
                          • haohmaruus
                            Message 13 of 21 , Aug 10, 2005
                              Okie doke, here's a picture of the MONITOR:

                              http://www.geocities.com/haohmaruus/pyuutamon.jpg

                              I'll try out those commands you were asking about tomorrow.