Re: Tomy Tutor/Pyuuta joypad pinout?

  • haohmaruus
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
      Well, I just tried the TI-99 joysticks with the Pyuuta Jr, and they
      don't appear to work at all. I'm pretty sure the joysticks work, but I
      suppose it's possible the joyport on the Pyuuta is bad considering what
      I paid for it. Or maybe the joystick doesn't work with the Jr version
      of Graphic.
    • haohmaruus
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
        I should have several Pyuuta games coming my way within the next few
        weeks, so I'll be able to test the joystick thing for sure when they
        arrive. Here's the games I'm getting:

        Scramble
        Frogger
        Bermuda Triangle
        Don Pan
        Jungler
        Triple Command
        Mystery Gold
        Mission Attack
        Monster Inn

        All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
        so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
          If you can provide me screenshots for

          > Bermuda Triangle
          > Don Pan
          > Triple Command
          > Mystery Gold

          I would very, very much appreciate it! I'm trying to confirm a few things
          about these games. The screenshots will be put onto the catalogue here:

          http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/carts.html

          > All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
          > so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

          I will be interested to hear :)

          -- Quote me as saying I was misquoted. -- Groucho Marx ------------------------
        • haohmaruus
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
            Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
            haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
            having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
            I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
            can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
            pictures with a digital camera.

            --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...>

            http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
            ------------
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
              > Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
              > haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
              > having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
              > I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
              > can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
              > pictures with a digital camera.

              Whatever you can provide would be wonderful. Let me know.

              -- The only abnormality is the inability to love. -- Anais Nin ----------------
            • Jens-Eike Hartwig
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                Has the original question

                >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                >>I can build an adapter or something?

                been answered yet?

                If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                GreeTIngs

                Jens-Eike
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                  > Has the original question
                  > >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                  > >>I can build an adapter or something?
                  > been answered yet?
                  >
                  > If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                  Don't think so and I would love a definite answer myself (especially with
                  your reputation in the TI community :).

                  -- Gravity is a myth. The Earth just sucks. -----------------------------------
                • haohmaruus
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                    I tried using TI-99 joysticks with the GRAPHIC program, and nothing
                    happened. But maybe the Pyuuta Jr. version of GRAPHIC won't work with
                    Joystick input. Also, my TI-99 joysticks are pretty old and worn, so
                    maybe they just aren't making contact. I made a TI-to-Atari adapter,
                    I'll probably try that next.

                    And it's also possible that the Joystick port on my Pyuuta Jr. just
                    doesn't work. I intend to figure out the pinout once I have some games
                    to play.
                  • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                      Joypad pinout:

                      ___________
                      ( 1 2 3 4 5 )
                      ( 6 7 8 9 )
                      ---------

                      1 = Select JoyController 1
                      2 = Select JoyController 2
                      3 = SL ( left fire button )
                      4 = SR ( right fire button)
                      5 = Down
                      6 = Left
                      7 = Up
                      8 = Right
                      9 = N.C. (no connection)

                      wire colors inside plug:
                      1=white (single line to Joy1)
                      2=orange (single line to Joy2)
                      3=brown (two wires, one to Joy1, the other to Joy2)
                      4=green "
                      5=black "
                      6=blue "
                      7=yellow "
                      8=red "
                      9 (no wire)

                      to decouple the two sticks, there is a diode for each switch with the
                      cathode towards the select line (six per JoyController):

                      Select Joyx -----K|----/----- direction y out

                      TI conroller will not work directly, an adapter is needed, and there is
                      no second fire button...

                      GreeTIngs

                      Jens-Eike
                    • haohmaruus
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                        Cool, thanks! I'll wire up an adapter to use an MSX or SMS controller
                        (no need for two joypads. Suprisingly difficult to find somebody
                        willing to play Tomy Tutor games with you) and give it a try.
                      • Kanton Levine
                        Message 11 of 20 , Dec 16, 2007
                          ooooooooooooh, you beat me on those! Seems to be more Pyuuta stuff
                          than usual lately...