[Tomy Tutor ] Re: Tomy Tutor/Pyuuta joypad pinout?

  • haohmaruus
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
      I'd probably be hesitant about using something as old and rare as a
      NEC Trek without proper power. My NEC PC-8801 seems to like US power
      just fine, though, and those things are a dime a dozen to replace
      anyways. The only one I'm really worried about is my Sharp X68000
      since those are notorious for having bad power supplies in the first
      place. I'm lucky mine works at all, and running it off US power would
      just be tempting fate. Plus I use it nearly every day, whereas most of
      my other old Japanese stuff (other than the MSX) only gets pulled out
      every once in awhile. I also noticed my FM Towns Marty heats up quite
      a bit, you can feel it even through the plastic case.
    • haohmaruus
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
        Well, I just tried the TI-99 joysticks with the Pyuuta Jr, and they
        don't appear to work at all. I'm pretty sure the joysticks work, but I
        suppose it's possible the joyport on the Pyuuta is bad considering what
        I paid for it. Or maybe the joystick doesn't work with the Jr version
        of Graphic.
      • haohmaruus
        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
          I should have several Pyuuta games coming my way within the next few
          weeks, so I'll be able to test the joystick thing for sure when they
          arrive. Here's the games I'm getting:

          Scramble
          Frogger
          Bermuda Triangle
          Don Pan
          Jungler
          Triple Command
          Mystery Gold
          Mission Attack
          Monster Inn

          All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
          so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
            If you can provide me screenshots for

            > Bermuda Triangle
            > Don Pan
            > Triple Command
            > Mystery Gold

            I would very, very much appreciate it! I'm trying to confirm a few things
            about these games. The screenshots will be put onto the catalogue here:

            http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/carts.html

            > All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
            > so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

            I will be interested to hear :)

            -- Quote me as saying I was misquoted. -- Groucho Marx ------------------------
          • haohmaruus
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
              Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
              haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
              having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
              I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
              can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
              pictures with a digital camera.

              --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...>

              http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
              ------------
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                > Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
                > haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
                > having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
                > I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
                > can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
                > pictures with a digital camera.

                Whatever you can provide would be wonderful. Let me know.

                -- The only abnormality is the inability to love. -- Anais Nin ----------------
              • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                  Has the original question

                  >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                  >>I can build an adapter or something?

                  been answered yet?

                  If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                  GreeTIngs

                  Jens-Eike
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                    > Has the original question
                    > >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                    > >>I can build an adapter or something?
                    > been answered yet?
                    >
                    > If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                    Don't think so and I would love a definite answer myself (especially with
                    your reputation in the TI community :).

                    -- Gravity is a myth. The Earth just sucks. -----------------------------------
                  • haohmaruus
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                      I tried using TI-99 joysticks with the GRAPHIC program, and nothing
                      happened. But maybe the Pyuuta Jr. version of GRAPHIC won't work with
                      Joystick input. Also, my TI-99 joysticks are pretty old and worn, so
                      maybe they just aren't making contact. I made a TI-to-Atari adapter,
                      I'll probably try that next.

                      And it's also possible that the Joystick port on my Pyuuta Jr. just
                      doesn't work. I intend to figure out the pinout once I have some games
                      to play.
                    • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                        Joypad pinout:

                        ___________
                        ( 1 2 3 4 5 )
                        ( 6 7 8 9 )
                        ---------

                        1 = Select JoyController 1
                        2 = Select JoyController 2
                        3 = SL ( left fire button )
                        4 = SR ( right fire button)
                        5 = Down
                        6 = Left
                        7 = Up
                        8 = Right
                        9 = N.C. (no connection)

                        wire colors inside plug:
                        1=white (single line to Joy1)
                        2=orange (single line to Joy2)
                        3=brown (two wires, one to Joy1, the other to Joy2)
                        4=green "
                        5=black "
                        6=blue "
                        7=yellow "
                        8=red "
                        9 (no wire)

                        to decouple the two sticks, there is a diode for each switch with the
                        cathode towards the select line (six per JoyController):

                        Select Joyx -----K|----/----- direction y out

                        TI conroller will not work directly, an adapter is needed, and there is
                        no second fire button...

                        GreeTIngs

                        Jens-Eike
                      • haohmaruus
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                          Cool, thanks! I'll wire up an adapter to use an MSX or SMS controller
                          (no need for two joypads. Suprisingly difficult to find somebody
                          willing to play Tomy Tutor games with you) and give it a try.
                        • Kanton Levine
                          Message 12 of 20 , Dec 16, 2007
                            ooooooooooooh, you beat me on those! Seems to be more Pyuuta stuff
                            than usual lately...