[Tomy Tutor ] Re: Tomy Tutor/Pyuuta joypad pinout?

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
      > I'm too antsy to do that with my Japanese systems, though, especially
      > since they were imported at considerable cost. The $30 I spent for a
      fuse
      > protected 100<->117 transformer at Fry's seemed very inexpensive
      insurance.
      > I'm also not sure what this would do to the power supplies long term
      running
      > them at USA mains voltage.

      LOL, some years back my big brother measured our AC voltage, and found
      that it was 95 volts AC. I'm sure that it's been upgraded and improved
      since then... but you never know without testing.

      -
      On the other hand, my NEC Trek runs hot, very VERY hot -- I never work
      it without a fan to blow air onto it.
    • haohmaruus
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
        I'd probably be hesitant about using something as old and rare as a
        NEC Trek without proper power. My NEC PC-8801 seems to like US power
        just fine, though, and those things are a dime a dozen to replace
        anyways. The only one I'm really worried about is my Sharp X68000
        since those are notorious for having bad power supplies in the first
        place. I'm lucky mine works at all, and running it off US power would
        just be tempting fate. Plus I use it nearly every day, whereas most of
        my other old Japanese stuff (other than the MSX) only gets pulled out
        every once in awhile. I also noticed my FM Towns Marty heats up quite
        a bit, you can feel it even through the plastic case.
      • haohmaruus
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
          Well, I just tried the TI-99 joysticks with the Pyuuta Jr, and they
          don't appear to work at all. I'm pretty sure the joysticks work, but I
          suppose it's possible the joyport on the Pyuuta is bad considering what
          I paid for it. Or maybe the joystick doesn't work with the Jr version
          of Graphic.
        • haohmaruus
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
            I should have several Pyuuta games coming my way within the next few
            weeks, so I'll be able to test the joystick thing for sure when they
            arrive. Here's the games I'm getting:

            Scramble
            Frogger
            Bermuda Triangle
            Don Pan
            Jungler
            Triple Command
            Mystery Gold
            Mission Attack
            Monster Inn

            All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
            so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
              If you can provide me screenshots for

              > Bermuda Triangle
              > Don Pan
              > Triple Command
              > Mystery Gold

              I would very, very much appreciate it! I'm trying to confirm a few things
              about these games. The screenshots will be put onto the catalogue here:

              http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/carts.html

              > All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
              > so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

              I will be interested to hear :)

              -- Quote me as saying I was misquoted. -- Groucho Marx ------------------------
            • haohmaruus
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
                haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
                having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
                I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
                can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
                pictures with a digital camera.

                --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...>

                http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
                ------------
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                  > Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
                  > haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
                  > having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
                  > I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
                  > can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
                  > pictures with a digital camera.

                  Whatever you can provide would be wonderful. Let me know.

                  -- The only abnormality is the inability to love. -- Anais Nin ----------------
                • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                    Has the original question

                    >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                    >>I can build an adapter or something?

                    been answered yet?

                    If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                    GreeTIngs

                    Jens-Eike
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                      > Has the original question
                      > >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                      > >>I can build an adapter or something?
                      > been answered yet?
                      >
                      > If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                      Don't think so and I would love a definite answer myself (especially with
                      your reputation in the TI community :).

                      -- Gravity is a myth. The Earth just sucks. -----------------------------------
                    • haohmaruus
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                        I tried using TI-99 joysticks with the GRAPHIC program, and nothing
                        happened. But maybe the Pyuuta Jr. version of GRAPHIC won't work with
                        Joystick input. Also, my TI-99 joysticks are pretty old and worn, so
                        maybe they just aren't making contact. I made a TI-to-Atari adapter,
                        I'll probably try that next.

                        And it's also possible that the Joystick port on my Pyuuta Jr. just
                        doesn't work. I intend to figure out the pinout once I have some games
                        to play.
                      • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                          Joypad pinout:

                          ___________
                          ( 1 2 3 4 5 )
                          ( 6 7 8 9 )
                          ---------

                          1 = Select JoyController 1
                          2 = Select JoyController 2
                          3 = SL ( left fire button )
                          4 = SR ( right fire button)
                          5 = Down
                          6 = Left
                          7 = Up
                          8 = Right
                          9 = N.C. (no connection)

                          wire colors inside plug:
                          1=white (single line to Joy1)
                          2=orange (single line to Joy2)
                          3=brown (two wires, one to Joy1, the other to Joy2)
                          4=green "
                          5=black "
                          6=blue "
                          7=yellow "
                          8=red "
                          9 (no wire)

                          to decouple the two sticks, there is a diode for each switch with the
                          cathode towards the select line (six per JoyController):

                          Select Joyx -----K|----/----- direction y out

                          TI conroller will not work directly, an adapter is needed, and there is
                          no second fire button...

                          GreeTIngs

                          Jens-Eike
                        • haohmaruus
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                            Cool, thanks! I'll wire up an adapter to use an MSX or SMS controller
                            (no need for two joypads. Suprisingly difficult to find somebody
                            willing to play Tomy Tutor games with you) and give it a try.
                          • Kanton Levine
                            Message 13 of 20 , Dec 16, 2007
                              ooooooooooooh, you beat me on those! Seems to be more Pyuuta stuff
                              than usual lately...