Re: Tomy Tutor/Pyuuta joypad pinout?

  • haohmaruus
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
      > Were these all tunable to 2/3, or 3/4?

      I think they were 2/3, but I'll have to check. The Cassettevision's
      have tiny little trimpots recessed into the bottom of the case that
      lets you fine tune the video signal, which is helpful if you get a
      fuzzy picture.

      especially
      > since they were imported at considerable cost. The $30 I spent for
      a fuse
      > protected 100<->117 transformer at Fry's seemed very inexpensive
      insurance.
      > I'm also not sure what this would do to the power supplies long
      term running
      > them at USA mains voltage.

      Eventually I'll probably go the same route, but I'd probably have to
      buy a couple since I've got systems in different places throughout
      my house. Plus, several of the Japanese systems I have use external
      power supplies, which would be trivial to replace if they died.

      > Good point, I'd forgotten about that. You can control GRAPHIC mode
      with
      > the joystick, although the keyboard is needed to switch modes and
      select
      > colours. I don't know how the Pyuuta does it, but it's probably
      done with
      > the console buttons. I'd like to hear what you discover.

      I'll let you know what I discover, but I can't really compare the
      Pyuuta Jr.'s operation to a normal Tomy Tutor or Pyuuta because I've
      never used either before.
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
        > I'm too antsy to do that with my Japanese systems, though, especially
        > since they were imported at considerable cost. The $30 I spent for a
        fuse
        > protected 100<->117 transformer at Fry's seemed very inexpensive
        insurance.
        > I'm also not sure what this would do to the power supplies long term
        running
        > them at USA mains voltage.

        LOL, some years back my big brother measured our AC voltage, and found
        that it was 95 volts AC. I'm sure that it's been upgraded and improved
        since then... but you never know without testing.

        -
        On the other hand, my NEC Trek runs hot, very VERY hot -- I never work
        it without a fan to blow air onto it.
      • haohmaruus
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
          I'd probably be hesitant about using something as old and rare as a
          NEC Trek without proper power. My NEC PC-8801 seems to like US power
          just fine, though, and those things are a dime a dozen to replace
          anyways. The only one I'm really worried about is my Sharp X68000
          since those are notorious for having bad power supplies in the first
          place. I'm lucky mine works at all, and running it off US power would
          just be tempting fate. Plus I use it nearly every day, whereas most of
          my other old Japanese stuff (other than the MSX) only gets pulled out
          every once in awhile. I also noticed my FM Towns Marty heats up quite
          a bit, you can feel it even through the plastic case.
        • haohmaruus
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
            Well, I just tried the TI-99 joysticks with the Pyuuta Jr, and they
            don't appear to work at all. I'm pretty sure the joysticks work, but I
            suppose it's possible the joyport on the Pyuuta is bad considering what
            I paid for it. Or maybe the joystick doesn't work with the Jr version
            of Graphic.
          • haohmaruus
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
              I should have several Pyuuta games coming my way within the next few
              weeks, so I'll be able to test the joystick thing for sure when they
              arrive. Here's the games I'm getting:

              Scramble
              Frogger
              Bermuda Triangle
              Don Pan
              Jungler
              Triple Command
              Mystery Gold
              Mission Attack
              Monster Inn

              All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
              so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                If you can provide me screenshots for

                > Bermuda Triangle
                > Don Pan
                > Triple Command
                > Mystery Gold

                I would very, very much appreciate it! I'm trying to confirm a few things
                about these games. The screenshots will be put onto the catalogue here:

                http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/carts.html

                > All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
                > so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

                I will be interested to hear :)

                -- Quote me as saying I was misquoted. -- Groucho Marx ------------------------
              • haohmaruus
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                  Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
                  haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
                  having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
                  I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
                  can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
                  pictures with a digital camera.

                  --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...>

                  http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
                  ------------
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                    > Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
                    > haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
                    > having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
                    > I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
                    > can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
                    > pictures with a digital camera.

                    Whatever you can provide would be wonderful. Let me know.

                    -- The only abnormality is the inability to love. -- Anais Nin ----------------
                  • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                      Has the original question

                      >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                      >>I can build an adapter or something?

                      been answered yet?

                      If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                      GreeTIngs

                      Jens-Eike
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                        > Has the original question
                        > >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                        > >>I can build an adapter or something?
                        > been answered yet?
                        >
                        > If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                        Don't think so and I would love a definite answer myself (especially with
                        your reputation in the TI community :).

                        -- Gravity is a myth. The Earth just sucks. -----------------------------------
                      • haohmaruus
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                          I tried using TI-99 joysticks with the GRAPHIC program, and nothing
                          happened. But maybe the Pyuuta Jr. version of GRAPHIC won't work with
                          Joystick input. Also, my TI-99 joysticks are pretty old and worn, so
                          maybe they just aren't making contact. I made a TI-to-Atari adapter,
                          I'll probably try that next.

                          And it's also possible that the Joystick port on my Pyuuta Jr. just
                          doesn't work. I intend to figure out the pinout once I have some games
                          to play.
                        • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                            Joypad pinout:

                            ___________
                            ( 1 2 3 4 5 )
                            ( 6 7 8 9 )
                            ---------

                            1 = Select JoyController 1
                            2 = Select JoyController 2
                            3 = SL ( left fire button )
                            4 = SR ( right fire button)
                            5 = Down
                            6 = Left
                            7 = Up
                            8 = Right
                            9 = N.C. (no connection)

                            wire colors inside plug:
                            1=white (single line to Joy1)
                            2=orange (single line to Joy2)
                            3=brown (two wires, one to Joy1, the other to Joy2)
                            4=green "
                            5=black "
                            6=blue "
                            7=yellow "
                            8=red "
                            9 (no wire)

                            to decouple the two sticks, there is a diode for each switch with the
                            cathode towards the select line (six per JoyController):

                            Select Joyx -----K|----/----- direction y out

                            TI conroller will not work directly, an adapter is needed, and there is
                            no second fire button...

                            GreeTIngs

                            Jens-Eike
                          • haohmaruus
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                              Cool, thanks! I'll wire up an adapter to use an MSX or SMS controller
                              (no need for two joypads. Suprisingly difficult to find somebody
                              willing to play Tomy Tutor games with you) and give it a try.
                            • Kanton Levine
                              Message 14 of 20 , Dec 16, 2007
                                ooooooooooooh, you beat me on those! Seems to be more Pyuuta stuff
                                than usual lately...