Re: [Tomy Tutor ] Re: Tomy Tutor/Pyuuta joypad pinout?

    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
      > It's worth a shot, but it depends on the system and it depends on
      > the TV. I've had success with a few Japanese systems like the Pyuuta
      > Jr., Cassette Vision, and Super Cassette Vision. All of those work
      > on channels 95 or 96. But my Famicom won't work on any channel for
      > some reason, and I ended up having to mod it to output composite.

      Were these all tunable to 2/3, or 3/4?

      > Also, for reference: The Pyuuta Jr. appears to run fine off US
      > power. Japanese stuff tends to run a bit hot on our power, but I've
      > yet to have any problems with power supplies blowing out or
      > anything. And I've tried with quite a few Japanese systems, like the
      > X68000 and FM Towns and X1 and MSX and so on. I've been running my
      > MSX off US power for over a year now and it still works fine and
      > dandy.

      I'm too antsy to do that with my Japanese systems, though, especially
      since they were imported at considerable cost. The $30 I spent for a fuse
      protected 100<->117 transformer at Fry's seemed very inexpensive insurance.
      I'm also not sure what this would do to the power supplies long term running
      them at USA mains voltage.

      > > Fortunate that the Pyuuta has composite output. By the way, any chance of
      > > seeing the internals of the Pyuuta Jr? I'd like to see how the ROMs are
      > > laid out.
      >
      > Sure, will do. I intend to take it apart to look at the joystick
      > ports anyways.

      That would be fabulous. Pictures would be excellent.

      > > Does it only allow GRAPHIC, or does it have BASIC (I can't imagine
      > > how, but ...) Is there any GBASIC support?
      >
      > I'll check again tonight, but I'm pretty sure the only option is
      > GRAPHIC. Speaking of which, do you know if graphic can be controlled
      > via joystick?
      >
      > And speaking of joysticks, now that I think about it I'm pretty sure
      > the TI-99/4a joysticks aren't completely compatible with the Pyuuta,
      > because the TI-99 sticks only have one button rather than two.
      > Perhaps it does work but with just one button, but I'm going to do a
      > little more research on it before I plug the TI-99 sticks in. I
      > don't want to burn the port out or anything, so I'm going to at
      > least ensure that the ground pins are in the same place.

      Good point, I'd forgotten about that. You can control GRAPHIC mode with
      the joystick, although the keyboard is needed to switch modes and select
      colours. I don't know how the Pyuuta does it, but it's probably done with
      the console buttons. I'd like to hear what you discover.

      -- If I am not for myself, who will be for me? -- Pirkei Avot -----------------
    • haohmaruus
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
        > Were these all tunable to 2/3, or 3/4?

        I think they were 2/3, but I'll have to check. The Cassettevision's
        have tiny little trimpots recessed into the bottom of the case that
        lets you fine tune the video signal, which is helpful if you get a
        fuzzy picture.

        especially
        > since they were imported at considerable cost. The $30 I spent for
        a fuse
        > protected 100<->117 transformer at Fry's seemed very inexpensive
        insurance.
        > I'm also not sure what this would do to the power supplies long
        term running
        > them at USA mains voltage.

        Eventually I'll probably go the same route, but I'd probably have to
        buy a couple since I've got systems in different places throughout
        my house. Plus, several of the Japanese systems I have use external
        power supplies, which would be trivial to replace if they died.

        > Good point, I'd forgotten about that. You can control GRAPHIC mode
        with
        > the joystick, although the keyboard is needed to switch modes and
        select
        > colours. I don't know how the Pyuuta does it, but it's probably
        done with
        > the console buttons. I'd like to hear what you discover.

        I'll let you know what I discover, but I can't really compare the
        Pyuuta Jr.'s operation to a normal Tomy Tutor or Pyuuta because I've
        never used either before.
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
          > I'm too antsy to do that with my Japanese systems, though, especially
          > since they were imported at considerable cost. The $30 I spent for a
          fuse
          > protected 100<->117 transformer at Fry's seemed very inexpensive
          insurance.
          > I'm also not sure what this would do to the power supplies long term
          running
          > them at USA mains voltage.

          LOL, some years back my big brother measured our AC voltage, and found
          that it was 95 volts AC. I'm sure that it's been upgraded and improved
          since then... but you never know without testing.

          -
          On the other hand, my NEC Trek runs hot, very VERY hot -- I never work
          it without a fan to blow air onto it.
        • haohmaruus
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
            I'd probably be hesitant about using something as old and rare as a
            NEC Trek without proper power. My NEC PC-8801 seems to like US power
            just fine, though, and those things are a dime a dozen to replace
            anyways. The only one I'm really worried about is my Sharp X68000
            since those are notorious for having bad power supplies in the first
            place. I'm lucky mine works at all, and running it off US power would
            just be tempting fate. Plus I use it nearly every day, whereas most of
            my other old Japanese stuff (other than the MSX) only gets pulled out
            every once in awhile. I also noticed my FM Towns Marty heats up quite
            a bit, you can feel it even through the plastic case.
          • haohmaruus
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
              Well, I just tried the TI-99 joysticks with the Pyuuta Jr, and they
              don't appear to work at all. I'm pretty sure the joysticks work, but I
              suppose it's possible the joyport on the Pyuuta is bad considering what
              I paid for it. Or maybe the joystick doesn't work with the Jr version
              of Graphic.
            • haohmaruus
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                I should have several Pyuuta games coming my way within the next few
                weeks, so I'll be able to test the joystick thing for sure when they
                arrive. Here's the games I'm getting:

                Scramble
                Frogger
                Bermuda Triangle
                Don Pan
                Jungler
                Triple Command
                Mystery Gold
                Mission Attack
                Monster Inn

                All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
                so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                  If you can provide me screenshots for

                  > Bermuda Triangle
                  > Don Pan
                  > Triple Command
                  > Mystery Gold

                  I would very, very much appreciate it! I'm trying to confirm a few things
                  about these games. The screenshots will be put onto the catalogue here:

                  http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/carts.html

                  > All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
                  > so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

                  I will be interested to hear :)

                  -- Quote me as saying I was misquoted. -- Groucho Marx ------------------------
                • haohmaruus
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                    Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
                    haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
                    having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
                    I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
                    can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
                    pictures with a digital camera.

                    --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...>

                    http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
                    ------------
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                      > Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
                      > haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
                      > having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
                      > I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
                      > can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
                      > pictures with a digital camera.

                      Whatever you can provide would be wonderful. Let me know.

                      -- The only abnormality is the inability to love. -- Anais Nin ----------------
                    • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                        Has the original question

                        >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                        >>I can build an adapter or something?

                        been answered yet?

                        If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                        GreeTIngs

                        Jens-Eike
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                          > Has the original question
                          > >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                          > >>I can build an adapter or something?
                          > been answered yet?
                          >
                          > If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                          Don't think so and I would love a definite answer myself (especially with
                          your reputation in the TI community :).

                          -- Gravity is a myth. The Earth just sucks. -----------------------------------
                        • haohmaruus
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                            I tried using TI-99 joysticks with the GRAPHIC program, and nothing
                            happened. But maybe the Pyuuta Jr. version of GRAPHIC won't work with
                            Joystick input. Also, my TI-99 joysticks are pretty old and worn, so
                            maybe they just aren't making contact. I made a TI-to-Atari adapter,
                            I'll probably try that next.

                            And it's also possible that the Joystick port on my Pyuuta Jr. just
                            doesn't work. I intend to figure out the pinout once I have some games
                            to play.
                          • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                              Joypad pinout:

                              ___________
                              ( 1 2 3 4 5 )
                              ( 6 7 8 9 )
                              ---------

                              1 = Select JoyController 1
                              2 = Select JoyController 2
                              3 = SL ( left fire button )
                              4 = SR ( right fire button)
                              5 = Down
                              6 = Left
                              7 = Up
                              8 = Right
                              9 = N.C. (no connection)

                              wire colors inside plug:
                              1=white (single line to Joy1)
                              2=orange (single line to Joy2)
                              3=brown (two wires, one to Joy1, the other to Joy2)
                              4=green "
                              5=black "
                              6=blue "
                              7=yellow "
                              8=red "
                              9 (no wire)

                              to decouple the two sticks, there is a diode for each switch with the
                              cathode towards the select line (six per JoyController):

                              Select Joyx -----K|----/----- direction y out

                              TI conroller will not work directly, an adapter is needed, and there is
                              no second fire button...

                              GreeTIngs

                              Jens-Eike
                            • haohmaruus
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                                Cool, thanks! I'll wire up an adapter to use an MSX or SMS controller
                                (no need for two joypads. Suprisingly difficult to find somebody
                                willing to play Tomy Tutor games with you) and give it a try.
                              • Kanton Levine
                                Message 15 of 20 , Dec 16, 2007
                                  ooooooooooooh, you beat me on those! Seems to be more Pyuuta stuff
                                  than usual lately...