Re: Tomy Tutor/Pyuuta joypad pinout?

  • haohmaruus
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
      > I am *told* but have not been able to confirm that the Tomy Tutor
      uses
      > the TI 99/4A pinout. However, I do not have any TI joysticks to
      test it
      > with. It is definitely not the same as the Atari/Commodore
      joysticks.

      I've got a couple TI-99 joysticks floating around, I'll try them out
      with the Pyuuta Jr. tonight. However, as of right now I don't have
      any games for the thing (In a few weeks I'll have Scramble and
      Frogger). The Pyuuta Jr. does have a built in painting program of
      some sort, though, so I'll try to test the joysticks with that.

      > Where did you find your Pyuuta Jr? I have a Pyuuta and a Pyuuta Mk
      II, but
      > I've been trying very hard to land a Jr without success. It's the
      last system
      > I'm missing in my Tomy collection (I have several Tomy Tutors, of
      course).

      I picked it up on Yahoo Auctions Japan. I forget how much I paid for
      it, but it wasn't much. Around 1000 yen ($10). After shipping fees
      and surcharges it probably cost me less than $50, although I used
      cheap shipping so it took 2 months to reach the US. But it didn't
      come with anything but the unit itself and the power cable. No box
      or games or joypads. I think it was sold as untested, too, but it
      seems to work at least with the built in software. It only outputs
      RF, so to get the picture on a US Television you need to set the
      Pyuuta Jr. to channel 2 but turn your TV to channel 95 or 96.
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
        > I picked it up on Yahoo Auctions Japan. I forget how much I paid for
        > it, but it wasn't much. Around 1000 yen ($10). After shipping fees
        > and surcharges it probably cost me less than $50, although I used
        > cheap shipping so it took 2 months to reach the US. But it didn't
        > come with anything but the unit itself and the power cable. No box
        > or games or joypads. I think it was sold as untested, too, but it
        > seems to work at least with the built in software. It only outputs
        > RF, so to get the picture on a US Television you need to set the
        > Pyuuta Jr. to channel 2 but turn your TV to channel 95 or 96.

        I didn't realize you could do that; I had to use my Pyuuta Mk II (which is
        also RF only) with my Mac's TV tuner card set to Japanese frequencies. I'll
        try your method and see how well it works. It might also work for my
        Commodore Ultimax, but I don't remember if it tunes to channel 2.

        Fortunate that the Pyuuta has composite output. By the way, any chance of
        seeing the internals of the Pyuuta Jr? I'd like to see how the ROMs are
        laid out. Does it only allow GRAPHIC, or does it have BASIC (I can't imagine
        how, but ...) Is there any GBASIC support?

        -- If Ted Kennedy had driven a VW, he would be President now. -----------------
      • haohmaruus
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
          > I didn't realize you could do that; I had to use my Pyuuta Mk II
          (which is
          > also RF only) with my Mac's TV tuner card set to Japanese
          frequencies. I'll
          > try your method and see how well it works. It might also work for
          my
          > Commodore Ultimax, but I don't remember if it tunes to channel 2.

          It's worth a shot, but it depends on the system and it depends on
          the TV. I've had success with a few Japanese systems like the Pyuuta
          Jr., Cassette Vision, and Super Cassette Vision. All of those work
          on channels 95 or 96. But my Famicom won't work on any channel for
          some reason, and I ended up having to mod it to output composite.

          Also, for reference: The Pyuuta Jr. appears to run fine off US
          power. Japanese stuff tends to run a bit hot on our power, but I've
          yet to have any problems with power supplies blowing out or
          anything. And I've tried with quite a few Japanese systems, like the
          X68000 and FM Towns and X1 and MSX and so on. I've been running my
          MSX off US power for over a year now and it still works fine and
          dandy.

          > Fortunate that the Pyuuta has composite output. By the way, any
          chance of
          > seeing the internals of the Pyuuta Jr? I'd like to see how the
          ROMs are
          > laid out.

          Sure, will do. I intend to take it apart to look at the joystick
          ports anyways.

          Does it only allow GRAPHIC, or does it have BASIC (I can't imagine
          > how, but ...) Is there any GBASIC support?

          I'll check again tonight, but I'm pretty sure the only option is
          GRAPHIC. Speaking of which, do you know if graphic can be controlled
          via joystick?

          And speaking of joysticks, now that I think about it I'm pretty sure
          the TI-99/4a joysticks aren't completely compatible with the Pyuuta,
          because the TI-99 sticks only have one button rather than two.
          Perhaps it does work but with just one button, but I'm going to do a
          little more research on it before I plug the TI-99 sticks in. I
          don't want to burn the port out or anything, so I'm going to at
          least ensure that the ground pins are in the same place.
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
            > It's worth a shot, but it depends on the system and it depends on
            > the TV. I've had success with a few Japanese systems like the Pyuuta
            > Jr., Cassette Vision, and Super Cassette Vision. All of those work
            > on channels 95 or 96. But my Famicom won't work on any channel for
            > some reason, and I ended up having to mod it to output composite.

            Were these all tunable to 2/3, or 3/4?

            > Also, for reference: The Pyuuta Jr. appears to run fine off US
            > power. Japanese stuff tends to run a bit hot on our power, but I've
            > yet to have any problems with power supplies blowing out or
            > anything. And I've tried with quite a few Japanese systems, like the
            > X68000 and FM Towns and X1 and MSX and so on. I've been running my
            > MSX off US power for over a year now and it still works fine and
            > dandy.

            I'm too antsy to do that with my Japanese systems, though, especially
            since they were imported at considerable cost. The $30 I spent for a fuse
            protected 100<->117 transformer at Fry's seemed very inexpensive insurance.
            I'm also not sure what this would do to the power supplies long term running
            them at USA mains voltage.

            > > Fortunate that the Pyuuta has composite output. By the way, any chance of
            > > seeing the internals of the Pyuuta Jr? I'd like to see how the ROMs are
            > > laid out.
            >
            > Sure, will do. I intend to take it apart to look at the joystick
            > ports anyways.

            That would be fabulous. Pictures would be excellent.

            > > Does it only allow GRAPHIC, or does it have BASIC (I can't imagine
            > > how, but ...) Is there any GBASIC support?
            >
            > I'll check again tonight, but I'm pretty sure the only option is
            > GRAPHIC. Speaking of which, do you know if graphic can be controlled
            > via joystick?
            >
            > And speaking of joysticks, now that I think about it I'm pretty sure
            > the TI-99/4a joysticks aren't completely compatible with the Pyuuta,
            > because the TI-99 sticks only have one button rather than two.
            > Perhaps it does work but with just one button, but I'm going to do a
            > little more research on it before I plug the TI-99 sticks in. I
            > don't want to burn the port out or anything, so I'm going to at
            > least ensure that the ground pins are in the same place.

            Good point, I'd forgotten about that. You can control GRAPHIC mode with
            the joystick, although the keyboard is needed to switch modes and select
            colours. I don't know how the Pyuuta does it, but it's probably done with
            the console buttons. I'd like to hear what you discover.

            -- If I am not for myself, who will be for me? -- Pirkei Avot -----------------
          • haohmaruus
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
              > Were these all tunable to 2/3, or 3/4?

              I think they were 2/3, but I'll have to check. The Cassettevision's
              have tiny little trimpots recessed into the bottom of the case that
              lets you fine tune the video signal, which is helpful if you get a
              fuzzy picture.

              especially
              > since they were imported at considerable cost. The $30 I spent for
              a fuse
              > protected 100<->117 transformer at Fry's seemed very inexpensive
              insurance.
              > I'm also not sure what this would do to the power supplies long
              term running
              > them at USA mains voltage.

              Eventually I'll probably go the same route, but I'd probably have to
              buy a couple since I've got systems in different places throughout
              my house. Plus, several of the Japanese systems I have use external
              power supplies, which would be trivial to replace if they died.

              > Good point, I'd forgotten about that. You can control GRAPHIC mode
              with
              > the joystick, although the keyboard is needed to switch modes and
              select
              > colours. I don't know how the Pyuuta does it, but it's probably
              done with
              > the console buttons. I'd like to hear what you discover.

              I'll let you know what I discover, but I can't really compare the
              Pyuuta Jr.'s operation to a normal Tomy Tutor or Pyuuta because I've
              never used either before.
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
                > I'm too antsy to do that with my Japanese systems, though, especially
                > since they were imported at considerable cost. The $30 I spent for a
                fuse
                > protected 100<->117 transformer at Fry's seemed very inexpensive
                insurance.
                > I'm also not sure what this would do to the power supplies long term
                running
                > them at USA mains voltage.

                LOL, some years back my big brother measured our AC voltage, and found
                that it was 95 volts AC. I'm sure that it's been upgraded and improved
                since then... but you never know without testing.

                -
                On the other hand, my NEC Trek runs hot, very VERY hot -- I never work
                it without a fan to blow air onto it.
              • haohmaruus
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
                  I'd probably be hesitant about using something as old and rare as a
                  NEC Trek without proper power. My NEC PC-8801 seems to like US power
                  just fine, though, and those things are a dime a dozen to replace
                  anyways. The only one I'm really worried about is my Sharp X68000
                  since those are notorious for having bad power supplies in the first
                  place. I'm lucky mine works at all, and running it off US power would
                  just be tempting fate. Plus I use it nearly every day, whereas most of
                  my other old Japanese stuff (other than the MSX) only gets pulled out
                  every once in awhile. I also noticed my FM Towns Marty heats up quite
                  a bit, you can feel it even through the plastic case.
                • haohmaruus
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
                    Well, I just tried the TI-99 joysticks with the Pyuuta Jr, and they
                    don't appear to work at all. I'm pretty sure the joysticks work, but I
                    suppose it's possible the joyport on the Pyuuta is bad considering what
                    I paid for it. Or maybe the joystick doesn't work with the Jr version
                    of Graphic.
                  • haohmaruus
                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                      I should have several Pyuuta games coming my way within the next few
                      weeks, so I'll be able to test the joystick thing for sure when they
                      arrive. Here's the games I'm getting:

                      Scramble
                      Frogger
                      Bermuda Triangle
                      Don Pan
                      Jungler
                      Triple Command
                      Mystery Gold
                      Mission Attack
                      Monster Inn

                      All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
                      so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                        If you can provide me screenshots for

                        > Bermuda Triangle
                        > Don Pan
                        > Triple Command
                        > Mystery Gold

                        I would very, very much appreciate it! I'm trying to confirm a few things
                        about these games. The screenshots will be put onto the catalogue here:

                        http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/carts.html

                        > All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
                        > so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

                        I will be interested to hear :)

                        -- Quote me as saying I was misquoted. -- Groucho Marx ------------------------
                      • haohmaruus
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                          Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
                          haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
                          having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
                          I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
                          can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
                          pictures with a digital camera.

                          --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...>

                          http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
                          ------------
                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                            > Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
                            > haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
                            > having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
                            > I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
                            > can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
                            > pictures with a digital camera.

                            Whatever you can provide would be wonderful. Let me know.

                            -- The only abnormality is the inability to love. -- Anais Nin ----------------
                          • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                              Has the original question

                              >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                              >>I can build an adapter or something?

                              been answered yet?

                              If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                              GreeTIngs

                              Jens-Eike
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                                > Has the original question
                                > >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                                > >>I can build an adapter or something?
                                > been answered yet?
                                >
                                > If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                                Don't think so and I would love a definite answer myself (especially with
                                your reputation in the TI community :).

                                -- Gravity is a myth. The Earth just sucks. -----------------------------------
                              • haohmaruus
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                                  I tried using TI-99 joysticks with the GRAPHIC program, and nothing
                                  happened. But maybe the Pyuuta Jr. version of GRAPHIC won't work with
                                  Joystick input. Also, my TI-99 joysticks are pretty old and worn, so
                                  maybe they just aren't making contact. I made a TI-to-Atari adapter,
                                  I'll probably try that next.

                                  And it's also possible that the Joystick port on my Pyuuta Jr. just
                                  doesn't work. I intend to figure out the pinout once I have some games
                                  to play.
                                • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                                    Joypad pinout:

                                    ___________
                                    ( 1 2 3 4 5 )
                                    ( 6 7 8 9 )
                                    ---------

                                    1 = Select JoyController 1
                                    2 = Select JoyController 2
                                    3 = SL ( left fire button )
                                    4 = SR ( right fire button)
                                    5 = Down
                                    6 = Left
                                    7 = Up
                                    8 = Right
                                    9 = N.C. (no connection)

                                    wire colors inside plug:
                                    1=white (single line to Joy1)
                                    2=orange (single line to Joy2)
                                    3=brown (two wires, one to Joy1, the other to Joy2)
                                    4=green "
                                    5=black "
                                    6=blue "
                                    7=yellow "
                                    8=red "
                                    9 (no wire)

                                    to decouple the two sticks, there is a diode for each switch with the
                                    cathode towards the select line (six per JoyController):

                                    Select Joyx -----K|----/----- direction y out

                                    TI conroller will not work directly, an adapter is needed, and there is
                                    no second fire button...

                                    GreeTIngs

                                    Jens-Eike
                                  • haohmaruus
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                                      Cool, thanks! I'll wire up an adapter to use an MSX or SMS controller
                                      (no need for two joypads. Suprisingly difficult to find somebody
                                      willing to play Tomy Tutor games with you) and give it a try.
                                    • Kanton Levine
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Dec 16, 2007
                                        ooooooooooooh, you beat me on those! Seems to be more Pyuuta stuff
                                        than usual lately...