Tomy Tutor/Pyuuta joypad pinout?

  • haohmaruus
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
      Hi,

      Just yesterday I got a Pyuuta Jr. It works, but it didn't come with a
      joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
      I can build an adapter or something?

      Also, and I'm sure this is a stupid question, but can I play TI-99
      games on the Pyuuta? I assume they're too different.
      Message 2 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
        > Just yesterday I got a Pyuuta Jr. It works, but it didn't come with a
        > joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
        > I can build an adapter or something?

        I am *told* but have not been able to confirm that the Tomy Tutor uses
        the TI 99/4A pinout. However, I do not have any TI joysticks to test it
        with. It is definitely not the same as the Atari/Commodore joysticks.

        http://www.technick.net/public/code/cp_dpage.php?aiocp_dp=pinconjoy_ti_99_4a

        > Also, and I'm sure this is a stupid question, but can I play TI-99
        > games on the Pyuuta? I assume they're too different.

        You cannot and they are. There are some ports of Tutor games to the Myarc
        9640, but those required some tweaking and did not run directly.

        Where did you find your Pyuuta Jr? I have a Pyuuta and a Pyuuta Mk II, but
        I've been trying very hard to land a Jr without success. It's the last system
        I'm missing in my Tomy collection (I have several Tomy Tutors, of course).

        -- This is an Honour System Virus. Please delete all your files. Thank you. ---
      • haohmaruus
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
          > I am *told* but have not been able to confirm that the Tomy Tutor
          uses
          > the TI 99/4A pinout. However, I do not have any TI joysticks to
          test it
          > with. It is definitely not the same as the Atari/Commodore
          joysticks.

          I've got a couple TI-99 joysticks floating around, I'll try them out
          with the Pyuuta Jr. tonight. However, as of right now I don't have
          any games for the thing (In a few weeks I'll have Scramble and
          Frogger). The Pyuuta Jr. does have a built in painting program of
          some sort, though, so I'll try to test the joysticks with that.

          > Where did you find your Pyuuta Jr? I have a Pyuuta and a Pyuuta Mk
          II, but
          > I've been trying very hard to land a Jr without success. It's the
          last system
          > I'm missing in my Tomy collection (I have several Tomy Tutors, of
          course).

          I picked it up on Yahoo Auctions Japan. I forget how much I paid for
          it, but it wasn't much. Around 1000 yen ($10). After shipping fees
          and surcharges it probably cost me less than $50, although I used
          cheap shipping so it took 2 months to reach the US. But it didn't
          come with anything but the unit itself and the power cable. No box
          or games or joypads. I think it was sold as untested, too, but it
          seems to work at least with the built in software. It only outputs
          RF, so to get the picture on a US Television you need to set the
          Pyuuta Jr. to channel 2 but turn your TV to channel 95 or 96.
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
            > I picked it up on Yahoo Auctions Japan. I forget how much I paid for
            > it, but it wasn't much. Around 1000 yen ($10). After shipping fees
            > and surcharges it probably cost me less than $50, although I used
            > cheap shipping so it took 2 months to reach the US. But it didn't
            > come with anything but the unit itself and the power cable. No box
            > or games or joypads. I think it was sold as untested, too, but it
            > seems to work at least with the built in software. It only outputs
            > RF, so to get the picture on a US Television you need to set the
            > Pyuuta Jr. to channel 2 but turn your TV to channel 95 or 96.

            I didn't realize you could do that; I had to use my Pyuuta Mk II (which is
            also RF only) with my Mac's TV tuner card set to Japanese frequencies. I'll
            try your method and see how well it works. It might also work for my
            Commodore Ultimax, but I don't remember if it tunes to channel 2.

            Fortunate that the Pyuuta has composite output. By the way, any chance of
            seeing the internals of the Pyuuta Jr? I'd like to see how the ROMs are
            laid out. Does it only allow GRAPHIC, or does it have BASIC (I can't imagine
            how, but ...) Is there any GBASIC support?

            -- If Ted Kennedy had driven a VW, he would be President now. -----------------
          • haohmaruus
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
              > I didn't realize you could do that; I had to use my Pyuuta Mk II
              (which is
              > also RF only) with my Mac's TV tuner card set to Japanese
              frequencies. I'll
              > try your method and see how well it works. It might also work for
              my
              > Commodore Ultimax, but I don't remember if it tunes to channel 2.

              It's worth a shot, but it depends on the system and it depends on
              the TV. I've had success with a few Japanese systems like the Pyuuta
              Jr., Cassette Vision, and Super Cassette Vision. All of those work
              on channels 95 or 96. But my Famicom won't work on any channel for
              some reason, and I ended up having to mod it to output composite.

              Also, for reference: The Pyuuta Jr. appears to run fine off US
              power. Japanese stuff tends to run a bit hot on our power, but I've
              yet to have any problems with power supplies blowing out or
              anything. And I've tried with quite a few Japanese systems, like the
              X68000 and FM Towns and X1 and MSX and so on. I've been running my
              MSX off US power for over a year now and it still works fine and
              dandy.

              > Fortunate that the Pyuuta has composite output. By the way, any
              chance of
              > seeing the internals of the Pyuuta Jr? I'd like to see how the
              ROMs are
              > laid out.

              Sure, will do. I intend to take it apart to look at the joystick
              ports anyways.

              Does it only allow GRAPHIC, or does it have BASIC (I can't imagine
              > how, but ...) Is there any GBASIC support?

              I'll check again tonight, but I'm pretty sure the only option is
              GRAPHIC. Speaking of which, do you know if graphic can be controlled
              via joystick?

              And speaking of joysticks, now that I think about it I'm pretty sure
              the TI-99/4a joysticks aren't completely compatible with the Pyuuta,
              because the TI-99 sticks only have one button rather than two.
              Perhaps it does work but with just one button, but I'm going to do a
              little more research on it before I plug the TI-99 sticks in. I
              don't want to burn the port out or anything, so I'm going to at
              least ensure that the ground pins are in the same place.
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
                > It's worth a shot, but it depends on the system and it depends on
                > the TV. I've had success with a few Japanese systems like the Pyuuta
                > Jr., Cassette Vision, and Super Cassette Vision. All of those work
                > on channels 95 or 96. But my Famicom won't work on any channel for
                > some reason, and I ended up having to mod it to output composite.

                Were these all tunable to 2/3, or 3/4?

                > Also, for reference: The Pyuuta Jr. appears to run fine off US
                > power. Japanese stuff tends to run a bit hot on our power, but I've
                > yet to have any problems with power supplies blowing out or
                > anything. And I've tried with quite a few Japanese systems, like the
                > X68000 and FM Towns and X1 and MSX and so on. I've been running my
                > MSX off US power for over a year now and it still works fine and
                > dandy.

                I'm too antsy to do that with my Japanese systems, though, especially
                since they were imported at considerable cost. The $30 I spent for a fuse
                protected 100<->117 transformer at Fry's seemed very inexpensive insurance.
                I'm also not sure what this would do to the power supplies long term running
                them at USA mains voltage.

                > > Fortunate that the Pyuuta has composite output. By the way, any chance of
                > > seeing the internals of the Pyuuta Jr? I'd like to see how the ROMs are
                > > laid out.
                >
                > Sure, will do. I intend to take it apart to look at the joystick
                > ports anyways.

                That would be fabulous. Pictures would be excellent.

                > > Does it only allow GRAPHIC, or does it have BASIC (I can't imagine
                > > how, but ...) Is there any GBASIC support?
                >
                > I'll check again tonight, but I'm pretty sure the only option is
                > GRAPHIC. Speaking of which, do you know if graphic can be controlled
                > via joystick?
                >
                > And speaking of joysticks, now that I think about it I'm pretty sure
                > the TI-99/4a joysticks aren't completely compatible with the Pyuuta,
                > because the TI-99 sticks only have one button rather than two.
                > Perhaps it does work but with just one button, but I'm going to do a
                > little more research on it before I plug the TI-99 sticks in. I
                > don't want to burn the port out or anything, so I'm going to at
                > least ensure that the ground pins are in the same place.

                Good point, I'd forgotten about that. You can control GRAPHIC mode with
                the joystick, although the keyboard is needed to switch modes and select
                colours. I don't know how the Pyuuta does it, but it's probably done with
                the console buttons. I'd like to hear what you discover.

                -- If I am not for myself, who will be for me? -- Pirkei Avot -----------------
              • haohmaruus
                Message 7 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
                  > Were these all tunable to 2/3, or 3/4?

                  I think they were 2/3, but I'll have to check. The Cassettevision's
                  have tiny little trimpots recessed into the bottom of the case that
                  lets you fine tune the video signal, which is helpful if you get a
                  fuzzy picture.

                  especially
                  > since they were imported at considerable cost. The $30 I spent for
                  a fuse
                  > protected 100<->117 transformer at Fry's seemed very inexpensive
                  insurance.
                  > I'm also not sure what this would do to the power supplies long
                  term running
                  > them at USA mains voltage.

                  Eventually I'll probably go the same route, but I'd probably have to
                  buy a couple since I've got systems in different places throughout
                  my house. Plus, several of the Japanese systems I have use external
                  power supplies, which would be trivial to replace if they died.

                  > Good point, I'd forgotten about that. You can control GRAPHIC mode
                  with
                  > the joystick, although the keyboard is needed to switch modes and
                  select
                  > colours. I don't know how the Pyuuta does it, but it's probably
                  done with
                  > the console buttons. I'd like to hear what you discover.

                  I'll let you know what I discover, but I can't really compare the
                  Pyuuta Jr.'s operation to a normal Tomy Tutor or Pyuuta because I've
                  never used either before.
                  Message 8 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
                    > I'm too antsy to do that with my Japanese systems, though, especially
                    > since they were imported at considerable cost. The $30 I spent for a
                    fuse
                    > protected 100<->117 transformer at Fry's seemed very inexpensive
                    insurance.
                    > I'm also not sure what this would do to the power supplies long term
                    running
                    > them at USA mains voltage.

                    LOL, some years back my big brother measured our AC voltage, and found
                    that it was 95 volts AC. I'm sure that it's been upgraded and improved
                    since then... but you never know without testing.

                    -
                    On the other hand, my NEC Trek runs hot, very VERY hot -- I never work
                    it without a fan to blow air onto it.
                  • haohmaruus
                    Message 9 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
                      I'd probably be hesitant about using something as old and rare as a
                      NEC Trek without proper power. My NEC PC-8801 seems to like US power
                      just fine, though, and those things are a dime a dozen to replace
                      anyways. The only one I'm really worried about is my Sharp X68000
                      since those are notorious for having bad power supplies in the first
                      place. I'm lucky mine works at all, and running it off US power would
                      just be tempting fate. Plus I use it nearly every day, whereas most of
                      my other old Japanese stuff (other than the MSX) only gets pulled out
                      every once in awhile. I also noticed my FM Towns Marty heats up quite
                      a bit, you can feel it even through the plastic case.
                    • haohmaruus
                      Message 10 of 20 , Jul 20, 2005
                        Well, I just tried the TI-99 joysticks with the Pyuuta Jr, and they
                        don't appear to work at all. I'm pretty sure the joysticks work, but I
                        suppose it's possible the joyport on the Pyuuta is bad considering what
                        I paid for it. Or maybe the joystick doesn't work with the Jr version
                        of Graphic.
                      • haohmaruus
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                          I should have several Pyuuta games coming my way within the next few
                          weeks, so I'll be able to test the joystick thing for sure when they
                          arrive. Here's the games I'm getting:

                          Scramble
                          Frogger
                          Bermuda Triangle
                          Don Pan
                          Jungler
                          Triple Command
                          Mystery Gold
                          Mission Attack
                          Monster Inn

                          All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
                          so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                            If you can provide me screenshots for

                            > Bermuda Triangle
                            > Don Pan
                            > Triple Command
                            > Mystery Gold

                            I would very, very much appreciate it! I'm trying to confirm a few things
                            about these games. The screenshots will be put onto the catalogue here:

                            http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/carts.html

                            > All Japanese versions. And there's one more that's missing a label,
                            > so who knows what it'll turn out to be.

                            I will be interested to hear :)

                            -- Quote me as saying I was misquoted. -- Groucho Marx ------------------------
                          • haohmaruus
                            Message 13 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                              Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
                              haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
                              having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
                              I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
                              can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
                              pictures with a digital camera.

                              --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...>

                              http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
                              ------------
                              Message 14 of 20 , Aug 4, 2005
                                > Sure, I'd be happy to. I also owe you pictures of the motherboard. I
                                > haven't really touched the Pyuuta since I got it (on account of
                                > having no games and having other cool stuff to play with), but once
                                > I've got those games I'll get you your pictures. I don't know if I
                                > can get actually do screen capturing, but I'll at least take
                                > pictures with a digital camera.

                                Whatever you can provide would be wonderful. Let me know.

                                -- The only abnormality is the inability to love. -- Anais Nin ----------------
                              • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                                Message 15 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                                  Has the original question

                                  >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                                  >>I can build an adapter or something?

                                  been answered yet?

                                  If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                                  GreeTIngs

                                  Jens-Eike
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                                    > Has the original question
                                    > >>joystick. Does anybody know the pinout of the Pyuuta joystick port so
                                    > >>I can build an adapter or something?
                                    > been answered yet?
                                    >
                                    > If not, I can try with my joy controllers and an ohmmeter later tonight.

                                    Don't think so and I would love a definite answer myself (especially with
                                    your reputation in the TI community :).

                                    -- Gravity is a myth. The Earth just sucks. -----------------------------------
                                  • haohmaruus
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                                      I tried using TI-99 joysticks with the GRAPHIC program, and nothing
                                      happened. But maybe the Pyuuta Jr. version of GRAPHIC won't work with
                                      Joystick input. Also, my TI-99 joysticks are pretty old and worn, so
                                      maybe they just aren't making contact. I made a TI-to-Atari adapter,
                                      I'll probably try that next.

                                      And it's also possible that the Joystick port on my Pyuuta Jr. just
                                      doesn't work. I intend to figure out the pinout once I have some games
                                      to play.
                                    • Jens-Eike Hartwig
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                                        Joypad pinout:

                                        ___________
                                        ( 1 2 3 4 5 )
                                        ( 6 7 8 9 )
                                        ---------

                                        1 = Select JoyController 1
                                        2 = Select JoyController 2
                                        3 = SL ( left fire button )
                                        4 = SR ( right fire button)
                                        5 = Down
                                        6 = Left
                                        7 = Up
                                        8 = Right
                                        9 = N.C. (no connection)

                                        wire colors inside plug:
                                        1=white (single line to Joy1)
                                        2=orange (single line to Joy2)
                                        3=brown (two wires, one to Joy1, the other to Joy2)
                                        4=green "
                                        5=black "
                                        6=blue "
                                        7=yellow "
                                        8=red "
                                        9 (no wire)

                                        to decouple the two sticks, there is a diode for each switch with the
                                        cathode towards the select line (six per JoyController):

                                        Select Joyx -----K|----/----- direction y out

                                        TI conroller will not work directly, an adapter is needed, and there is
                                        no second fire button...

                                        GreeTIngs

                                        Jens-Eike
                                      • haohmaruus
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Aug 10, 2005
                                          Cool, thanks! I'll wire up an adapter to use an MSX or SMS controller
                                          (no need for two joypads. Suprisingly difficult to find somebody
                                          willing to play Tomy Tutor games with you) and give it a try.
                                        • Kanton Levine
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Dec 16, 2007
                                            ooooooooooooh, you beat me on those! Seems to be more Pyuuta stuff
                                            than usual lately...