Re: First impressions on the Pyuuta Mark II

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2003
      There was recently a Pyuuta JR on ebay from the seller loose logic..
      But you might of been out of town...

      --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...>
      wrote:
      > I finally got the Pyuuta Mark II up for testing on the workbench.
      The Mac's
      > TV tuner required a little coaxing to accept Japanese NTSC cable
      frequency
      > (it has no composite out ... ?!) and the Mac was still spitting
      out tonnes
      > of RFI, but I could see enough of the picture.
      >
      > Good news: the machine (mostly) works (see Bad news). The ROMs are
      identical
      > to the American Tutor firmware, version 2.3, which jives with my
      original
      > information on the PM2. It accepts all of my American cartridges,
      although I
      > haven't plugged a Japanese one in it yet to test its character
      support. I'll
      > do that tonight.
      >
      > The keyboard is *soooo* much better. MOD and MON are in logical
      places, even.
      > The only downer is that the cursor controls are still weirdly
      located
      > although it is a definite improvement. It feels like a shallow
      CoCo keyboard
      > to me, but that's not really a bad thing.
      >
      > Bad news: the BASIC ROM seems to be farked. I can't get into BASIC
      from the
      > MONitor or from the MENU; I get the green screen, and then it
      unexpectedly
      > cold-reboots itself. This might be repairable though because since
      it
      > looks like the firmware is identical, I should be able to
      cannibalize a
      > BASIC ROM from a working (or at least a partially working one ...
      would hate
      > to do this to a fully functional Tutor) Tutor and get this in 100%
      working
      > order.
      >
      > Power supply and connectors seem fully operational.
      >
      > Whee, now all I need is a Grandstand Tutor and a Pyuuta Jr :-)
      does anyone

      http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
      ------------
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2003
        > There was recently a Pyuuta JR on ebay from the seller loose logic..
        > But you might of been out of town...

        Drat! Did anyone here pick it up?

        -- Never eat more than you can lift. -- Miss Piggy ----------------------------
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 8, 2003
          --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:
          > > There was recently a Pyuuta JR on ebay from the seller loose
          logic..
          > > But you might of been out of town...
          >
          > Drat! Did anyone here pick it up?

          I tried to get it, but I was outbid. It sold for well over $200. I
          DID get Battlefighter and Athletic Land, so now I only need four of
          the 26 Japanese cartridges to have a complete set (with some
          doubles). I also won an interesting oddity, a commercial TOMY
          cassette with two programs on it: MSLZ and UFO1. I got the tape
          yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
          Unfortunately for me, the instructions are completely in Japanese, a
          language I can't read (yet).

          Jim
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2003
            > I also won an interesting oddity, a commercial TOMY
            > cassette with two programs on it: MSLZ and UFO1. I got the tape
            > yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
            > Unfortunately for me, the instructions are completely in Japanese, a
            > language I can't read (yet).

            If you need help with the translation, let me know. I need to get back
            to my Japanese cartridge collection myself :)

            -- Neckties strangle clear thinking. -- Lin Yutang ----------------------------