First impressions on the Pyuuta Mark II

    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2003
      I finally got the Pyuuta Mark II up for testing on the workbench. The Mac's
      TV tuner required a little coaxing to accept Japanese NTSC cable frequency
      (it has no composite out ... ?!) and the Mac was still spitting out tonnes
      of RFI, but I could see enough of the picture.

      Good news: the machine (mostly) works (see Bad news). The ROMs are identical
      to the American Tutor firmware, version 2.3, which jives with my original
      information on the PM2. It accepts all of my American cartridges, although I
      haven't plugged a Japanese one in it yet to test its character support. I'll
      do that tonight.

      The keyboard is *soooo* much better. MOD and MON are in logical places, even.
      The only downer is that the cursor controls are still weirdly located
      although it is a definite improvement. It feels like a shallow CoCo keyboard
      to me, but that's not really a bad thing.

      Bad news: the BASIC ROM seems to be farked. I can't get into BASIC from the
      MONitor or from the MENU; I get the green screen, and then it unexpectedly
      cold-reboots itself. This might be repairable though because since it
      looks like the firmware is identical, I should be able to cannibalize a
      BASIC ROM from a working (or at least a partially working one ... would hate
      to do this to a fully functional Tutor) Tutor and get this in 100% working
      order.

      Power supply and connectors seem fully operational.

      Whee, now all I need is a Grandstand Tutor and a Pyuuta Jr :-) does anyone
      else out there have a Pyuuta Mark II? Or a Grandstand or a Junior?

      -- Room service? Send up a bigger room. -- Groucho Marx -----------------------
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2003
        There was recently a Pyuuta JR on ebay from the seller loose logic..
        But you might of been out of town...

        --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...>

        http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
        ------------
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2003
          > There was recently a Pyuuta JR on ebay from the seller loose logic..
          > But you might of been out of town...

          Drat! Did anyone here pick it up?

          -- Never eat more than you can lift. -- Miss Piggy ----------------------------
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 8, 2003
            --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:
            > > There was recently a Pyuuta JR on ebay from the seller loose
            logic..
            > > But you might of been out of town...
            >
            > Drat! Did anyone here pick it up?

            I tried to get it, but I was outbid. It sold for well over $200. I
            DID get Battlefighter and Athletic Land, so now I only need four of
            the 26 Japanese cartridges to have a complete set (with some
            doubles). I also won an interesting oddity, a commercial TOMY
            cassette with two programs on it: MSLZ and UFO1. I got the tape
            yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
            Unfortunately for me, the instructions are completely in Japanese, a
            language I can't read (yet).

            Jim
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 8, 2003
              > I also won an interesting oddity, a commercial TOMY
              > cassette with two programs on it: MSLZ and UFO1. I got the tape
              > yesterday, but I haven't had a chance to test it out yet.
              > Unfortunately for me, the instructions are completely in Japanese, a
              > language I can't read (yet).

              If you need help with the translation, let me know. I need to get back
              to my Japanese cartridge collection myself :)

              -- Neckties strangle clear thinking. -- Lin Yutang ----------------------------