Re: [Tomy Tutor ] Cartridges on Tape?

  • Davey Brain
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 17, 2003
      Neil Morrison wrote thusly:
      > Is there anything 'funny' about the ROMs? Perhaps it could be
      > possible to make clone cartridges. Another way we did it on the R/S
      > Coco was to put RAM in a cartridge.
      >
      > On the original Model I Level I TRS-80 you could load M/L and execute
      > it by overwriting the stack. When you returned from the CLOAD routine
      > you jumped to the M/L routine.
      >
      > Neil

      Are you familiar with the TI-99 computers? The RAM cart trick was done
      on the TI-99. There are carts that allow you to load it with mulitple
      carts and choose from them. As I understand it there were also carts
      that allowed you to save the carts ROM contents to disk and exec them
      with either the ed/ass cart or TI-Writer (which had a ML loader
      built-in. The most famous was probably the Gramcracker cart. The Gram
      comes from the fact that TI used a proprietary graphics ROM called a
      GROM to try to force people to license the tech from them and let TI
      produce all the software for the TI-99 (bad policy IMHO). These later
      carts simulated a GROM in RAM to allow you to use them. I had quite a
      few "aqquired" cart games on disk but they were all RAM-only carts like
      the Atari and Parker Bros games. It was later that they developed the
      GRAM carts.

      I don't know much more about this as I never got into the GRAM scene
      because when I was using my TI-99/4a I didn't have enough money to get
      any of those. I couldn't even afford a 2nd disk drive or a DS drive, so
      I had the one stock SSSD 90K drive and that was all. By the time I was
      out of school and could afford those things I'd moved on first to the
      Franklin Ace/Apple ][ computers and then to a Leading Edge Model D
      DR-DOS 4 machine with GEM 3.

      BTW, glad to see Corey in the group. I tracked the Tomy I posted about
      here & wished I could have afforded it. If that is the one then he got
      it for a bargain price with his the only bid, which surprised me.
      Either the bottom has fallen out of the Tutor market or this one sneaked
      past. I paid $92 for my first one & $75 for my backup one and don't
      even have a manual. The $92 one lasted about 6 weeks before it blew-up
      the main PS capacitor. I found a functional replacement but the
      computer is flakey now so the PS must have sent a surge that damaged the
      ROM on it. So I use my BU now, not as pretty but it works.
      --
      Davey Brain
      dsbrain@NOSPAM!neosplice.com or

      "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth" - John F.
      Kennedy

      Gigabyte 7VKML AMD Athlon 1700XP+ Savage 4 AGP 4X 32M
      This eCS 1.1 system uptime is 1 days 22 hrs 13 mins and 54 secs
    • koltz1971
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 18, 2003
        I felt it was a pretty good deal myself :) Didn't know much about
        it until I read the description and did some research. I collect
        Atari, Commodore, TI, TRS, and many weird off market ones. Reason I
        started getting into this again (was all stored in my garage for 4
        years) was I work in a K-12 school district, so I talked with the
        librarian and we decided to put most of my stuff on display. Cool
        thing is I got to clean and test them all thoroughly while at work
        because it was for the kid's benefit :) I also had my intern help
        me.

        On the TI forums, I did a past search on Tomy Tutor and somebody did
        convert some Tutor games to run on the Myarc and TI. They are on
        disk and available for download, don't know if they were totally
        converted and will run on the Tutor again or not.

        Corey

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 18, 2003
          > On the TI forums, I did a past search on Tomy Tutor and somebody did
          > convert some Tutor games to run on the Myarc and TI. They are on
          > disk and available for download, don't know if they were totally
          > converted and will run on the Tutor again or not.

          I know about Barry Boone's Geneve ports, but I don't think they'll run on
          a 99/4A.

          They do seem to run on a Tutor, or at least an emulated one. I've run
          them against Raphael Nabet's beta MacMESS Tutor driver.

          -- Age is a very high price to pay for maturity. ------------------------------