Re: [Tomy Tutor ] Cartridges on Tape?

  • Neil Morrison
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 17, 2003
      Is there anything 'funny' about the ROMs? Perhaps it could be
      possible to make clone cartridges. Another way we did it on the R/S
      Coco was to put RAM in a cartridge.

      On the original Model I Level I TRS-80 you could load M/L and execute
      it by overwriting the stack. When you returned from the CLOAD routine
      you jumped to the M/L routine.

      Neil

      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 17, 2003
        Neil Morrison wrote thusly:
        > Is there anything 'funny' about the ROMs? Perhaps it could be
        > possible to make clone cartridges. Another way we did it on the R/S
        > Coco was to put RAM in a cartridge.
        >
        > On the original Model I Level I TRS-80 you could load M/L and execute
        > it by overwriting the stack. When you returned from the CLOAD routine
        > you jumped to the M/L routine.
        >
        > Neil

        Are you familiar with the TI-99 computers? The RAM cart trick was done
        on the TI-99. There are carts that allow you to load it with mulitple
        carts and choose from them. As I understand it there were also carts
        that allowed you to save the carts ROM contents to disk and exec them
        with either the ed/ass cart or TI-Writer (which had a ML loader
        built-in. The most famous was probably the Gramcracker cart. The Gram
        comes from the fact that TI used a proprietary graphics ROM called a
        GROM to try to force people to license the tech from them and let TI
        produce all the software for the TI-99 (bad policy IMHO). These later
        carts simulated a GROM in RAM to allow you to use them. I had quite a
        few "aqquired" cart games on disk but they were all RAM-only carts like
        the Atari and Parker Bros games. It was later that they developed the
        GRAM carts.

        I don't know much more about this as I never got into the GRAM scene
        because when I was using my TI-99/4a I didn't have enough money to get
        any of those. I couldn't even afford a 2nd disk drive or a DS drive, so
        I had the one stock SSSD 90K drive and that was all. By the time I was
        out of school and could afford those things I'd moved on first to the
        Franklin Ace/Apple ][ computers and then to a Leading Edge Model D
        DR-DOS 4 machine with GEM 3.

        BTW, glad to see Corey in the group. I tracked the Tomy I posted about
        here & wished I could have afforded it. If that is the one then he got
        it for a bargain price with his the only bid, which surprised me.
        Either the bottom has fallen out of the Tutor market or this one sneaked
        past. I paid $92 for my first one & $75 for my backup one and don't
        even have a manual. The $92 one lasted about 6 weeks before it blew-up
        the main PS capacitor. I found a functional replacement but the
        computer is flakey now so the PS must have sent a surge that damaged the
        ROM on it. So I use my BU now, not as pretty but it works.
        --
        Davey Brain
        dsbrain@NOSPAM!neosplice.com or

        "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth" - John F.
        Kennedy

        Gigabyte 7VKML AMD Athlon 1700XP+ Savage 4 AGP 4X 32M
        This eCS 1.1 system uptime is 1 days 22 hrs 13 mins and 54 secs
      • koltz1971
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 18, 2003
          I felt it was a pretty good deal myself :) Didn't know much about
          it until I read the description and did some research. I collect
          Atari, Commodore, TI, TRS, and many weird off market ones. Reason I
          started getting into this again (was all stored in my garage for 4
          years) was I work in a K-12 school district, so I talked with the
          librarian and we decided to put most of my stuff on display. Cool
          thing is I got to clean and test them all thoroughly while at work
          because it was for the kid's benefit :) I also had my intern help
          me.

          On the TI forums, I did a past search on Tomy Tutor and somebody did
          convert some Tutor games to run on the Myarc and TI. They are on
          disk and available for download, don't know if they were totally
          converted and will run on the Tutor again or not.

          Corey

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 18, 2003
            > On the TI forums, I did a past search on Tomy Tutor and somebody did
            > convert some Tutor games to run on the Myarc and TI. They are on
            > disk and available for download, don't know if they were totally
            > converted and will run on the Tutor again or not.

            I know about Barry Boone's Geneve ports, but I don't think they'll run on
            a 99/4A.

            They do seem to run on a Tutor, or at least an emulated one. I've run
            them against Raphael Nabet's beta MacMESS Tutor driver.

            -- Age is a very high price to pay for maturity. ------------------------------