Re: Cartridges on Tape?

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 17, 2003
      Nope, not possible. The Tomy Tutor does not have RAM in the ROM area
      in the way that some other computers do. And, even if it did, it
      would take forever to load them, as the Tomy Tutor tape loading is
      very slow. Also, Tomy Tutor BASIC has no PEEK, POKE, or
      SYS/EXEC/USR, so there's no useful way from TT BASIC to access the
      game cartridge even though it's plugged in.

      --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, "koltz1971" <corey_koltz@h...>
      wrote:
      > I am just wondering if it is possible to get the cartridges to run
      > off the tape drive? I know there are BASIC program for the ADAM
      and
      > Atari that allow you to do this. Since you can select to still run
      > BASIC while the cart is still plugged into the unit.
      >
      > BTW, I am the winner of the Tomy Tutor that was on eBay last
      month.
      > I saw somebody comment about it. Just got it yesterday and played
      > with it a little today. Not sure if I will get used to the
      chicklet
      > keyboard or not, but makes a nice addition to my collection.
      >
      > Corey
    • Neil Morrison
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 17, 2003
        Is there anything 'funny' about the ROMs? Perhaps it could be
        possible to make clone cartridges. Another way we did it on the R/S
        Coco was to put RAM in a cartridge.

        On the original Model I Level I TRS-80 you could load M/L and execute
        it by overwriting the stack. When you returned from the CLOAD routine
        you jumped to the M/L routine.

        Neil

        > Nope, not possible. The Tomy Tutor does not have RAM in the ROM
        area
        > in the way that some other computers do. And, even if it did, it
        > would take forever to load them, as the Tomy Tutor tape loading is
        > very slow. Also, Tomy Tutor BASIC has no PEEK, POKE, or
        > SYS/EXEC/USR, so there's no useful way from TT BASIC to access the
        > game cartridge even though it's plugged in.
      • Davey Brain
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 17, 2003
          Neil Morrison wrote thusly:
          > Is there anything 'funny' about the ROMs? Perhaps it could be
          > possible to make clone cartridges. Another way we did it on the R/S
          > Coco was to put RAM in a cartridge.
          >
          > On the original Model I Level I TRS-80 you could load M/L and execute
          > it by overwriting the stack. When you returned from the CLOAD routine
          > you jumped to the M/L routine.
          >
          > Neil

          Are you familiar with the TI-99 computers? The RAM cart trick was done
          on the TI-99. There are carts that allow you to load it with mulitple
          carts and choose from them. As I understand it there were also carts
          that allowed you to save the carts ROM contents to disk and exec them
          with either the ed/ass cart or TI-Writer (which had a ML loader
          built-in. The most famous was probably the Gramcracker cart. The Gram
          comes from the fact that TI used a proprietary graphics ROM called a
          GROM to try to force people to license the tech from them and let TI
          produce all the software for the TI-99 (bad policy IMHO). These later
          carts simulated a GROM in RAM to allow you to use them. I had quite a
          few "aqquired" cart games on disk but they were all RAM-only carts like
          the Atari and Parker Bros games. It was later that they developed the
          GRAM carts.

          I don't know much more about this as I never got into the GRAM scene
          because when I was using my TI-99/4a I didn't have enough money to get
          any of those. I couldn't even afford a 2nd disk drive or a DS drive, so
          I had the one stock SSSD 90K drive and that was all. By the time I was
          out of school and could afford those things I'd moved on first to the
          Franklin Ace/Apple ][ computers and then to a Leading Edge Model D
          DR-DOS 4 machine with GEM 3.

          BTW, glad to see Corey in the group. I tracked the Tomy I posted about
          here & wished I could have afforded it. If that is the one then he got
          it for a bargain price with his the only bid, which surprised me.
          Either the bottom has fallen out of the Tutor market or this one sneaked
          past. I paid $92 for my first one & $75 for my backup one and don't
          even have a manual. The $92 one lasted about 6 weeks before it blew-up
          the main PS capacitor. I found a functional replacement but the
          computer is flakey now so the PS must have sent a surge that damaged the
          ROM on it. So I use my BU now, not as pretty but it works.
          --
          Davey Brain
          dsbrain@NOSPAM!neosplice.com or

          "Conformity is the jailer of freedom and the enemy of growth" - John F.
          Kennedy

          Gigabyte 7VKML AMD Athlon 1700XP+ Savage 4 AGP 4X 32M
          This eCS 1.1 system uptime is 1 days 22 hrs 13 mins and 54 secs
        • koltz1971
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 18, 2003
            I felt it was a pretty good deal myself :) Didn't know much about
            it until I read the description and did some research. I collect
            Atari, Commodore, TI, TRS, and many weird off market ones. Reason I
            started getting into this again (was all stored in my garage for 4
            years) was I work in a K-12 school district, so I talked with the
            librarian and we decided to put most of my stuff on display. Cool
            thing is I got to clean and test them all thoroughly while at work
            because it was for the kid's benefit :) I also had my intern help
            me.

            On the TI forums, I did a past search on Tomy Tutor and somebody did
            convert some Tutor games to run on the Myarc and TI. They are on
            disk and available for download, don't know if they were totally
            converted and will run on the Tutor again or not.

            Corey

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 18, 2003
              > On the TI forums, I did a past search on Tomy Tutor and somebody did
              > convert some Tutor games to run on the Myarc and TI. They are on
              > disk and available for download, don't know if they were totally
              > converted and will run on the Tutor again or not.

              I know about Barry Boone's Geneve ports, but I don't think they'll run on
              a 99/4A.

              They do seem to run on a Tutor, or at least an emulated one. I've run
              them against Raphael Nabet's beta MacMESS Tutor driver.

              -- Age is a very high price to pay for maturity. ------------------------------