[Tomy Tutor ] Re: Tomy Tutor 3d add on hardware

  • pyuta2003
    Message 1 of 19 , May 16, 2003
      --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

      > > This adapter is very simple and it only extends address-bus of
      > > Pyuta's game slot same as Pyuta mk2 or Jr.
      >
      > That's very interesting. What's the difference between the address
      bus
      > of the Pyuuta and the Pyuuta Mark 2/Tomy Tutor?

      Many pyuta games are 8KB, and some are 16KB.
      But "3D" games are larger.
      (cf. #26 Battle Fighter is 32KB cartridge)

      Pyuta can't handle cartridges over 16KB through cart slot.
      16KB=14bit-addressing / 32KB=15bit-addressing

      So Pyuta need 3D adaptor for "3D" games.
      Pyuta mk2 or Jr. can handle 15bit-addressing.

      The difference between "3D" and non-"3D" games is only cartridge size.

      - pyuta2003 -
      Message 2 of 19 , May 16, 2003
        > The difference between "3D" and non-"3D" games is only cartridge size.

        I thought so :-) Setsumei wa, arigatoo gozaimasu!

        -- If you're not very clever, you should be conciliatory. -- Benjamin Disraeli
        Message 3 of 19 , May 17, 2003
          The Pyuuta, along with the controllers, the manual (some kid scribbled in it
          though) and three cartridges (Bombman and Mah Jongg (both loose), and Traffic
          Jam (Japanese box)), in the Pyuuta's original box, arrived. It's a complete
          set except that the box says there should be a cassette cable in there too,
          but in fairness to the seller, who was a great guy, he did not say it came
          with the system. (Probably got lost by that same kid ;-)

          Whipped out the 117V<->100V transformer and some RCA cables, plugged it into
          my trusty Commodore 1702 monitor, and it starts up!

          Typing commands in katakana is a new thing for me. By the way, G-BASIC [sic]
          on the Pyuuta has a somewhat different interface. You actually get to it from
          the menu (!). Pyuuti, when I write it, will reflect this. Otherwise, it's
          the same old Tutor you know and love!

          The Mah-jongg cartridge was very complex for a Tutor game. I was impressed
          with the depth and flexibility of gameplay.

          The controllers work but they're kind of flimsy compared to the American
          controllers. Fortunately, my well-worn Tutor joystick works fine with it.

          The manual is excellent. I'll try to translate some of it. There's even some
          very complex GBASIC programs in it that presumably will work, once translated
          into English GBASIC, just fine on a Tutor and a Mk2 Pyuuta.

          Pyuuta wa miwaku-teki desu!

          -- I may be underpaid, but I underwork just to make it even. ------------------
          Message 4 of 19 , May 17, 2003
            How many of us does that make with Pyuutas now? I have two of them
            (the most recent arrived as part of a large number of items I won
            recently on Ebay), and I think there is at least one more here in the
            group, mentioned in earlier posts. Are there any others?

            I also have a goodly collection of Japanese cartridges now:

            Bombman
            Monsterinn
            Frogger
            Scramble
            Nightflight
            Marine Adventure
            Mission Attack
            Traffic Jam
            Guttang Gottong (I need to test it, but it should be LocoMotion)
            Maze Patrol
            Mr. Do!
            Mah-jongg

            Turpin should also be here soon, along with duplicates of several
            others (I wanted the boxes too).

            http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
            -----------
            Message 5 of 19 , May 17, 2003
              Wouldn't an analysis of this device tell us a lot about the pin
              definitions of the port and maybe allow construction of a 32K memory
              expansion for the Tutor? Just a thought.

              Jim

              Message 6 of 19 , May 17, 2003
                Was any software written for the Tomy Tutor which would take
                advantage of a 32K expander, if present?

                --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, ksarulofpurdimal <no_reply@y...>

                Message 7 of 19 , May 17, 2003
                  > How many of us does that make with Pyuutas now? I have two of them
                  > (the most recent arrived as part of a large number of items I won
                  > recently on Ebay), and I think there is at least one more here in the
                  > group, mentioned in earlier posts. Are there any others?
                  >
                  > I also have a goodly collection of Japanese cartridges now:

                  Yeah, mine's growing too. I now have Nightflight, Scramble (USA and Japan),
                  Bombman, Mission Attack, Mah-Jongg, Saurusland, Traffic Jam (USA and Japan),
                  and Athletic Land (as well as most of the USA domestic cartridges).

                  > Guttang Gottong (I need to test it, but it should be LocoMotion)

                  Correct.

                  > Maze Patrol

                  Is this Cave Crawlers?

                  -- When relatives are outlawed, only outlaws will have inlaws. ----------------