Re: [Tomy Tutor ] Re: Tomy Tutor 3d add on hardware

    Message 1 of 19 , May 4, 2003
      > > Apparently someone has discovered and photographed some Tomy Pyuuta
      > > 3d-an devices. Very interesting... Check out the link;
      > > http://www.old-computers.com/museum/hardware.asp?t=1&c=337&st=1

      > Are those really for the Pyuuta?
      > That illustration doesn't look a whole lot like the Tomy computers.

      It's for the Pyuuta; the side view says, in Japanese, 'for the use of
      [uncertain kanji, might be den] Pyuuta. game adaptor'

      I don't know where the 3-D aspect comes from, though. I can't read
      what it says on the cartridge slot view, just that it seems to connect
      to the I/O slot instead.

      -- Man fears Time, yet Time fears the Pyramids. -- Arab proverb ---------------
    • ianoid
      Message 2 of 19 , May 5, 2003
        I have one of these and a 3D cart boxed. I can't say that it's a huge
        step up by the screen shot on the box. You can shame me all you like-
        I haven't even had the chance to try it out!

        (And bugging me won't speed that up much- I'm REALLY short on time.
        I'm only writing for verification purposes.)

        ian

        > I have never heard of such a device either.. But, if you look
        > carefully at the photos, there is an illustration on the 3d ad-on
        > which appears to look like a tutor.. Study it and you'll see what I
        > mean.. I am going to try and contact the person who submitted the
        > photos.. I would like to learn more about this..

      • Russ Perry Jr
        Message 3 of 19 , May 5, 2003
          ianoid <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
          >I have one of these and a 3D cart boxed.

          What game?

          >> I have never heard of such a device either.. But, if you look
          >> carefully at the photos, there is an illustration on the 3d ad-on
          >> which appears to look like a tutor.
          || Russ Perry Jr 2175 S Tonne Dr #114 Arlington Hts IL 60005 ||
          || 847-952-9729 slapdash@... [NEW!] VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR! ||
          Message 4 of 19 , May 5, 2003
            Ah, Come on, Ian..
            You know you can't just share this news and walk away! :) Hehe...

            --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, ianoid <no_reply@y...> wrote:
            > I have one of these and a 3D cart boxed. I can't say that it's a
            huge
            > step up by the screen shot on the box. You can shame me all you
            like-
            > I haven't even had the chance to try it out!
            >
            > (And bugging me won't speed that up much- I'm REALLY short on
            time.
            > I'm only writing for verification purposes.)
            >
            > ian
            >

            > > I have never heard of such a device either.. But, if you look
            > > carefully at the photos, there is an illustration on the 3d ad-
            on
            > > which appears to look like a tutor.. Study it and you'll see
            what I
            > > mean.. I am going to try and contact the person who submitted
            the
            > > photos.. I would like to learn more about this..

          • pyuta2003
            Message 5 of 19 , May 6, 2003
              Second photo says "Pyuta senyou game adapter".
              "senyou" means "only".
              So it says that this adapter only use for pyuta.

              Because, Pyuta mk2 and Pyuta Jr. don't need this adapter for 3D games.
              (and I think tomy tutor also don't need it for 3D games.)
              This adapter is connected to pyuta I/O slot at back side.

              3D games released in Japan are shown below.
              #24 Rescue Copter
              #25 Baseball
              #26 Battle Fighter

              This adapter is very simple and it only extends address-bus of
              Pyuta's game slot same as Pyuta mk2 or Jr.

              - Pyuta2003 -
              Message 6 of 19 , May 6, 2003
                Thank you for the clarification, and the list of 3d game titles..
                Most informative! :)

                Message 7 of 19 , May 6, 2003
                  > Second photo says "Pyuta senyou game adapter".
                  > "senyou" means "only".
                  > So it says that this adapter only use for pyuta.
                  >
                  > Because, Pyuta mk2 and Pyuta Jr. don't need this adapter for 3D games.
                  > (and I think tomy tutor also don't need it for 3D games.)
                  > This adapter is connected to pyuta I/O slot at back side.
                  >
                  > 3D games released in Japan are shown below.
                  > #24 Rescue Copter
                  > #25 Baseball
                  > #26 Battle Fighter
                  >
                  > This adapter is very simple and it only extends address-bus of
                  > Pyuta's game slot same as Pyuta mk2 or Jr.

                  That's very interesting. What's the difference between the address bus
                  of the Pyuuta and the Pyuuta Mark 2/Tomy Tutor?

                  -- Time makes more converts than reason. -- Thomas Payne ----------------------
                • pyuta2003
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 16, 2003
                    --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

                    > > This adapter is very simple and it only extends address-bus of
                    > > Pyuta's game slot same as Pyuta mk2 or Jr.
                    >
                    > That's very interesting. What's the difference between the address
                    bus
                    > of the Pyuuta and the Pyuuta Mark 2/Tomy Tutor?

                    Many pyuta games are 8KB, and some are 16KB.
                    But "3D" games are larger.
                    (cf. #26 Battle Fighter is 32KB cartridge)

                    Pyuta can't handle cartridges over 16KB through cart slot.
                    16KB=14bit-addressing / 32KB=15bit-addressing

                    So Pyuta need 3D adaptor for "3D" games.
                    Pyuta mk2 or Jr. can handle 15bit-addressing.

                    The difference between "3D" and non-"3D" games is only cartridge size.

                    - pyuta2003 -
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 16, 2003
                      > The difference between "3D" and non-"3D" games is only cartridge size.

                      I thought so :-) Setsumei wa, arigatoo gozaimasu!

                      -- If you're not very clever, you should be conciliatory. -- Benjamin Disraeli
                      Message 10 of 19 , May 17, 2003
                        The Pyuuta, along with the controllers, the manual (some kid scribbled in it
                        though) and three cartridges (Bombman and Mah Jongg (both loose), and Traffic
                        Jam (Japanese box)), in the Pyuuta's original box, arrived. It's a complete
                        set except that the box says there should be a cassette cable in there too,
                        but in fairness to the seller, who was a great guy, he did not say it came
                        with the system. (Probably got lost by that same kid ;-)

                        Whipped out the 117V<->100V transformer and some RCA cables, plugged it into
                        my trusty Commodore 1702 monitor, and it starts up!

                        Typing commands in katakana is a new thing for me. By the way, G-BASIC [sic]
                        on the Pyuuta has a somewhat different interface. You actually get to it from
                        the menu (!). Pyuuti, when I write it, will reflect this. Otherwise, it's
                        the same old Tutor you know and love!

                        The Mah-jongg cartridge was very complex for a Tutor game. I was impressed
                        with the depth and flexibility of gameplay.

                        The controllers work but they're kind of flimsy compared to the American
                        controllers. Fortunately, my well-worn Tutor joystick works fine with it.

                        The manual is excellent. I'll try to translate some of it. There's even some
                        very complex GBASIC programs in it that presumably will work, once translated
                        into English GBASIC, just fine on a Tutor and a Mk2 Pyuuta.

                        Pyuuta wa miwaku-teki desu!

                        -- I may be underpaid, but I underwork just to make it even. ------------------
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 17, 2003
                          How many of us does that make with Pyuutas now? I have two of them
                          (the most recent arrived as part of a large number of items I won
                          recently on Ebay), and I think there is at least one more here in the
                          group, mentioned in earlier posts. Are there any others?

                          I also have a goodly collection of Japanese cartridges now:

                          Bombman
                          Monsterinn
                          Frogger
                          Scramble
                          Nightflight
                          Marine Adventure
                          Mission Attack
                          Traffic Jam
                          Guttang Gottong (I need to test it, but it should be LocoMotion)
                          Maze Patrol
                          Mr. Do!
                          Mah-jongg

                          Turpin should also be here soon, along with duplicates of several
                          others (I wanted the boxes too).

                          http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
                          -----------
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 17, 2003
                            Wouldn't an analysis of this device tell us a lot about the pin
                            definitions of the port and maybe allow construction of a 32K memory
                            expansion for the Tutor? Just a thought.

                            Jim

                            Message 13 of 19 , May 17, 2003
                              Was any software written for the Tomy Tutor which would take
                              advantage of a 32K expander, if present?

                              --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, ksarulofpurdimal <no_reply@y...>

                              Message 14 of 19 , May 17, 2003
                                > How many of us does that make with Pyuutas now? I have two of them
                                > (the most recent arrived as part of a large number of items I won
                                > recently on Ebay), and I think there is at least one more here in the
                                > group, mentioned in earlier posts. Are there any others?
                                >
                                > I also have a goodly collection of Japanese cartridges now:

                                Yeah, mine's growing too. I now have Nightflight, Scramble (USA and Japan),
                                Bombman, Mission Attack, Mah-Jongg, Saurusland, Traffic Jam (USA and Japan),
                                and Athletic Land (as well as most of the USA domestic cartridges).

                                > Guttang Gottong (I need to test it, but it should be LocoMotion)

                                Correct.

                                > Maze Patrol

                                Is this Cave Crawlers?

                                -- When relatives are outlawed, only outlaws will have inlaws. ----------------