Re: Tomy Tutor 3d add on hardware

    Message 1 of 19 , May 3, 2003
      Are those really for the Pyuuta?
      That illustration doesn't look a whole lot like the Tomy computers.

      Message 2 of 19 , May 3, 2003
        James,

        I have never heard of such a device either.. But, if you look
        carefully at the photos, there is an illustration on the 3d ad-on
        which appears to look like a tutor.. Study it and you'll see what I
        mean.. I am going to try and contact the person who submitted the
        photos.. I would like to learn more about this..

        Mike

        Message 3 of 19 , May 3, 2003
          James, the 3d add-on belongs to a European collector,
          Rikard Ljungkvist. He is one of Europe's largest collectors.. I
          would wager he would be willing to share some information on
          this.... I'll contact him...

          Mike
          Message 4 of 19 , May 4, 2003
            > > Apparently someone has discovered and photographed some Tomy Pyuuta
            > > 3d-an devices. Very interesting... Check out the link;
            > > http://www.old-computers.com/museum/hardware.asp?t=1&c=337&st=1

            > Are those really for the Pyuuta?
            > That illustration doesn't look a whole lot like the Tomy computers.

            It's for the Pyuuta; the side view says, in Japanese, 'for the use of
            [uncertain kanji, might be den] Pyuuta. game adaptor'

            I don't know where the 3-D aspect comes from, though. I can't read
            what it says on the cartridge slot view, just that it seems to connect
            to the I/O slot instead.

            -- Man fears Time, yet Time fears the Pyramids. -- Arab proverb ---------------
          • ianoid
            Message 5 of 19 , May 5, 2003
              I have one of these and a 3D cart boxed. I can't say that it's a huge
              step up by the screen shot on the box. You can shame me all you like-
              I haven't even had the chance to try it out!

              (And bugging me won't speed that up much- I'm REALLY short on time.
              I'm only writing for verification purposes.)

              ian

              > I have never heard of such a device either.. But, if you look
              > carefully at the photos, there is an illustration on the 3d ad-on
              > which appears to look like a tutor.. Study it and you'll see what I
              > mean.. I am going to try and contact the person who submitted the
              > photos.. I would like to learn more about this..

            • Russ Perry Jr
              Message 6 of 19 , May 5, 2003
                ianoid <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
                >I have one of these and a 3D cart boxed.

                What game?

                >> I have never heard of such a device either.. But, if you look
                >> carefully at the photos, there is an illustration on the 3d ad-on
                >> which appears to look like a tutor.
                || Russ Perry Jr 2175 S Tonne Dr #114 Arlington Hts IL 60005 ||
                || 847-952-9729 slapdash@... [NEW!] VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR! ||
                Message 7 of 19 , May 5, 2003
                  Ah, Come on, Ian..
                  You know you can't just share this news and walk away! :) Hehe...

                  --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, ianoid <no_reply@y...> wrote:
                  > I have one of these and a 3D cart boxed. I can't say that it's a
                  huge
                  > step up by the screen shot on the box. You can shame me all you
                  like-
                  > I haven't even had the chance to try it out!
                  >
                  > (And bugging me won't speed that up much- I'm REALLY short on
                  time.
                  > I'm only writing for verification purposes.)
                  >
                  > ian
                  >

                  > > I have never heard of such a device either.. But, if you look
                  > > carefully at the photos, there is an illustration on the 3d ad-
                  on
                  > > which appears to look like a tutor.. Study it and you'll see
                  what I
                  > > mean.. I am going to try and contact the person who submitted
                  the
                  > > photos.. I would like to learn more about this..

                • pyuta2003
                  Message 8 of 19 , May 6, 2003
                    Second photo says "Pyuta senyou game adapter".
                    "senyou" means "only".
                    So it says that this adapter only use for pyuta.

                    Because, Pyuta mk2 and Pyuta Jr. don't need this adapter for 3D games.
                    (and I think tomy tutor also don't need it for 3D games.)
                    This adapter is connected to pyuta I/O slot at back side.

                    3D games released in Japan are shown below.
                    #24 Rescue Copter
                    #25 Baseball
                    #26 Battle Fighter

                    This adapter is very simple and it only extends address-bus of
                    Pyuta's game slot same as Pyuta mk2 or Jr.

                    - Pyuta2003 -
                    Message 9 of 19 , May 6, 2003
                      Thank you for the clarification, and the list of 3d game titles..
                      Most informative! :)

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 6, 2003
                        > Second photo says "Pyuta senyou game adapter".
                        > "senyou" means "only".
                        > So it says that this adapter only use for pyuta.
                        >
                        > Because, Pyuta mk2 and Pyuta Jr. don't need this adapter for 3D games.
                        > (and I think tomy tutor also don't need it for 3D games.)
                        > This adapter is connected to pyuta I/O slot at back side.
                        >
                        > 3D games released in Japan are shown below.
                        > #24 Rescue Copter
                        > #25 Baseball
                        > #26 Battle Fighter
                        >
                        > This adapter is very simple and it only extends address-bus of
                        > Pyuta's game slot same as Pyuta mk2 or Jr.

                        That's very interesting. What's the difference between the address bus
                        of the Pyuuta and the Pyuuta Mark 2/Tomy Tutor?

                        -- Time makes more converts than reason. -- Thomas Payne ----------------------
                      • pyuta2003
                        Message 11 of 19 , May 16, 2003
                          --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

                          > > This adapter is very simple and it only extends address-bus of
                          > > Pyuta's game slot same as Pyuta mk2 or Jr.
                          >
                          > That's very interesting. What's the difference between the address
                          bus
                          > of the Pyuuta and the Pyuuta Mark 2/Tomy Tutor?

                          Many pyuta games are 8KB, and some are 16KB.
                          But "3D" games are larger.
                          (cf. #26 Battle Fighter is 32KB cartridge)

                          Pyuta can't handle cartridges over 16KB through cart slot.
                          16KB=14bit-addressing / 32KB=15bit-addressing

                          So Pyuta need 3D adaptor for "3D" games.
                          Pyuta mk2 or Jr. can handle 15bit-addressing.

                          The difference between "3D" and non-"3D" games is only cartridge size.

                          - pyuta2003 -
                          Message 12 of 19 , May 16, 2003
                            > The difference between "3D" and non-"3D" games is only cartridge size.

                            I thought so :-) Setsumei wa, arigatoo gozaimasu!

                            -- If you're not very clever, you should be conciliatory. -- Benjamin Disraeli
                            Message 13 of 19 , May 17, 2003
                              The Pyuuta, along with the controllers, the manual (some kid scribbled in it
                              though) and three cartridges (Bombman and Mah Jongg (both loose), and Traffic
                              Jam (Japanese box)), in the Pyuuta's original box, arrived. It's a complete
                              set except that the box says there should be a cassette cable in there too,
                              but in fairness to the seller, who was a great guy, he did not say it came
                              with the system. (Probably got lost by that same kid ;-)

                              Whipped out the 117V<->100V transformer and some RCA cables, plugged it into
                              my trusty Commodore 1702 monitor, and it starts up!

                              Typing commands in katakana is a new thing for me. By the way, G-BASIC [sic]
                              on the Pyuuta has a somewhat different interface. You actually get to it from
                              the menu (!). Pyuuti, when I write it, will reflect this. Otherwise, it's
                              the same old Tutor you know and love!

                              The Mah-jongg cartridge was very complex for a Tutor game. I was impressed
                              with the depth and flexibility of gameplay.

                              The controllers work but they're kind of flimsy compared to the American
                              controllers. Fortunately, my well-worn Tutor joystick works fine with it.

                              The manual is excellent. I'll try to translate some of it. There's even some
                              very complex GBASIC programs in it that presumably will work, once translated
                              into English GBASIC, just fine on a Tutor and a Mk2 Pyuuta.

                              Pyuuta wa miwaku-teki desu!

                              -- I may be underpaid, but I underwork just to make it even. ------------------
                              Message 14 of 19 , May 17, 2003
                                How many of us does that make with Pyuutas now? I have two of them
                                (the most recent arrived as part of a large number of items I won
                                recently on Ebay), and I think there is at least one more here in the
                                group, mentioned in earlier posts. Are there any others?

                                I also have a goodly collection of Japanese cartridges now:

                                Bombman
                                Monsterinn
                                Frogger
                                Scramble
                                Nightflight
                                Marine Adventure
                                Mission Attack
                                Traffic Jam
                                Guttang Gottong (I need to test it, but it should be LocoMotion)
                                Maze Patrol
                                Mr. Do!
                                Mah-jongg

                                Turpin should also be here soon, along with duplicates of several
                                others (I wanted the boxes too).

                                http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --
                                -----------
                                Message 15 of 19 , May 17, 2003
                                  Wouldn't an analysis of this device tell us a lot about the pin
                                  definitions of the port and maybe allow construction of a 32K memory
                                  expansion for the Tutor? Just a thought.

                                  Jim

                                  Message 16 of 19 , May 17, 2003
                                    Was any software written for the Tomy Tutor which would take
                                    advantage of a 32K expander, if present?

                                    --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, ksarulofpurdimal <no_reply@y...>

                                    Message 17 of 19 , May 17, 2003
                                      > How many of us does that make with Pyuutas now? I have two of them
                                      > (the most recent arrived as part of a large number of items I won
                                      > recently on Ebay), and I think there is at least one more here in the
                                      > group, mentioned in earlier posts. Are there any others?
                                      >
                                      > I also have a goodly collection of Japanese cartridges now:

                                      Yeah, mine's growing too. I now have Nightflight, Scramble (USA and Japan),
                                      Bombman, Mission Attack, Mah-Jongg, Saurusland, Traffic Jam (USA and Japan),
                                      and Athletic Land (as well as most of the USA domestic cartridges).

                                      > Guttang Gottong (I need to test it, but it should be LocoMotion)

                                      Correct.

                                      > Maze Patrol

                                      Is this Cave Crawlers?

                                      -- When relatives are outlawed, only outlaws will have inlaws. ----------------