Re: [Tomy Tutor ] Re: Game ROMs

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
      > Depends on what those other projects are.
      >
      > Spirantho's emulator is mighty impressive. If he had an independent
      > ROM dump, and a few game cart images, then he'd be done with a
      > complete emulator in a few months. (Some notes from Barry Boone
      > would hurry along the process).
      >
      > With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be need for
      > further Tutti development.

      Towards what end, and in what sense? My main wish is not to put a lot of time
      and effort into something that people won't use -- in all seriousness, not to
      degrade others' hard work on a true emulator. If people still think Tutti
      occupies a useful niche, or could continue to serve a niche purpose despite
      its limitations, however, I definitely want to keep improving it.

      -- We aren't your science project! -- Akane, "Ranma 1/2" (OAV 9) --------------
    • Ian Gledhill
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
        --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

        > Towards what end, and in what sense? My main wish is not to put a
        lot of time

        > and effort into something that people won't use -- in all
        seriousness, not to

        > degrade others' hard work on a true emulator. If people still think
        Tutti

        > occupies a useful niche, or could continue to serve a niche purpose
        despite

        > its limitations, however, I definitely want to keep improving it.

        That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If so,
        then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite in
        the same market!

        Incidentally, I now have a BASIC prompt!

        There's still a slimey bug in there somewhere but I can now type in

        10 PRINT "hi"

        20 RUN

        Of course when I run it it crashes but it's getting there! I found out
        that when you read from an odd address, it reads from an even address
        instead! I *think* it's the address above (i.e. reading @>5D23 reads
        @>5D24).

        Still working on it.... wish I had some game ROMs....
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
          > That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If so,
          > then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite in
          > the same market!

          That isn't what people are using it for. Most people are running it on
          a Commodore emulator on a PC, so I assume it's merely because there is no
          emulator for Windows (yet).

          I'm still asking a serious question about continuing to invest time in it.

          -- "Another day, another dangling modifier" -----------------------------------
        • Ian Gledhill
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
            --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

            > > That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If
            so,

            > > then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite
            in

            > > the same market!

            > That isn't what people are using it for. Most people are running it
            on

            > a Commodore emulator on a PC, so I assume it's merely because there
            is no

            > emulator for Windows (yet).

            Incidentally, it should run on Linux, AmigaOS etc. too with a teensy
            bit of modification, as it's all using SDL..

            > I'm still asking a serious question about continuing to invest time
            in it.

            There can only be one serious answer, though, and that depends on why
            you`re writing it. If you're writing it to replace an emulator, then
            it probably isn`t worthwhile as it`ll take you an age to get the BASIC
            perfect. On the other hand, if you want to make a Tutor compatibile
            BASIC interpreter which perhaps you can expand on at some point, or
            want a fast BASIC interpreter (my emulator is *very* slow at the
            moment) then keep at it.

            At the moment, it's academic, though - you still have the only Tutor
            simulator out there, as I can`t get BASIC to work right yet. GBASIC
            works now, but still lots of crashes in BASIC. I`ll get there though!

            Thing is, why do any of us program these things? I do it because I
            enjoy it.
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
              Oops, the typo fairy ate a word. It should have been:

              With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be no need for
              further Tutti development.