[Tomy Tutor ] Re: Game ROMs

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 29, 2003
      Depends on what those other projects are.

      Spirantho's emulator is mighty impressive. If he had an independent
      ROM dump, and a few game cart images, then he'd be done with a
      complete emulator in a few months. (Some notes from Barry Boone
      would hurry along the process).

      With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be need for
      further Tutti development.

      --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:
      > Noted. Group vote: is there any worth to my continuing to develop
      Tutti? It's
      > a serious question, since there are always other projects on my
      list. :-)
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
        > Depends on what those other projects are.
        >
        > Spirantho's emulator is mighty impressive. If he had an independent
        > ROM dump, and a few game cart images, then he'd be done with a
        > complete emulator in a few months. (Some notes from Barry Boone
        > would hurry along the process).
        >
        > With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be need for
        > further Tutti development.

        Towards what end, and in what sense? My main wish is not to put a lot of time
        and effort into something that people won't use -- in all seriousness, not to
        degrade others' hard work on a true emulator. If people still think Tutti
        occupies a useful niche, or could continue to serve a niche purpose despite
        its limitations, however, I definitely want to keep improving it.

        -- We aren't your science project! -- Akane, "Ranma 1/2" (OAV 9) --------------
      • Ian Gledhill
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
          --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

          > Towards what end, and in what sense? My main wish is not to put a
          lot of time

          > and effort into something that people won't use -- in all
          seriousness, not to

          > degrade others' hard work on a true emulator. If people still think
          Tutti

          > occupies a useful niche, or could continue to serve a niche purpose
          despite

          > its limitations, however, I definitely want to keep improving it.

          That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If so,
          then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite in
          the same market!

          Incidentally, I now have a BASIC prompt!

          There's still a slimey bug in there somewhere but I can now type in

          10 PRINT "hi"

          20 RUN

          Of course when I run it it crashes but it's getting there! I found out
          that when you read from an odd address, it reads from an even address
          instead! I *think* it's the address above (i.e. reading @>5D23 reads
          @>5D24).

          Still working on it.... wish I had some game ROMs....
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
            > That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If so,
            > then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite in
            > the same market!

            That isn't what people are using it for. Most people are running it on
            a Commodore emulator on a PC, so I assume it's merely because there is no
            emulator for Windows (yet).

            I'm still asking a serious question about continuing to invest time in it.

            -- "Another day, another dangling modifier" -----------------------------------
          • Ian Gledhill
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
              --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

              > > That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If
              so,

              > > then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite
              in

              > > the same market!

              > That isn't what people are using it for. Most people are running it
              on

              > a Commodore emulator on a PC, so I assume it's merely because there
              is no

              > emulator for Windows (yet).

              Incidentally, it should run on Linux, AmigaOS etc. too with a teensy
              bit of modification, as it's all using SDL..

              > I'm still asking a serious question about continuing to invest time
              in it.

              There can only be one serious answer, though, and that depends on why
              you`re writing it. If you're writing it to replace an emulator, then
              it probably isn`t worthwhile as it`ll take you an age to get the BASIC
              perfect. On the other hand, if you want to make a Tutor compatibile
              BASIC interpreter which perhaps you can expand on at some point, or
              want a fast BASIC interpreter (my emulator is *very* slow at the
              moment) then keep at it.

              At the moment, it's academic, though - you still have the only Tutor
              simulator out there, as I can`t get BASIC to work right yet. GBASIC
              works now, but still lots of crashes in BASIC. I`ll get there though!

              Thing is, why do any of us program these things? I do it because I
              enjoy it.
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                Oops, the typo fairy ate a word. It should have been:

                With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be no need for
                further Tutti development.