Re: [Tomy Tutor ] Re: Game ROMs

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 29, 2003
      > > Probably. Where does the emulator try to write to the emulated 9918ANL
      > > just so I can update the memory map?

      > It's >E000 to write data and >E002 to read/write to registers.

      Noted. Group vote: is there any worth to my continuing to develop Tutti? It's
      a serious question, since there are always other projects on my list. :-)

      -- I think, therefore I'm single. -- Lizz Winstead ----------------------------
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 29, 2003
        I'm using the MAME CPU module. I tried the equivalent, and it didn't
        work with the MAME CPU. I think the MAME CPU has bugs -- either that
        or I'm not using it right.

        I wasn't using it right before, because some doofus at MAME decided
        that ReadMem16 and WriteMem16 would actually be byte-access things
        and not word-access things. Sheesh. They should 'a' just let the
        host computer decide how the moby was going to be laid out.

        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 29, 2003
          Depends on what those other projects are.

          Spirantho's emulator is mighty impressive. If he had an independent
          ROM dump, and a few game cart images, then he'd be done with a
          complete emulator in a few months. (Some notes from Barry Boone
          would hurry along the process).

          With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be need for
          further Tutti development.

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
            > Depends on what those other projects are.
            >
            > Spirantho's emulator is mighty impressive. If he had an independent
            > ROM dump, and a few game cart images, then he'd be done with a
            > complete emulator in a few months. (Some notes from Barry Boone
            > would hurry along the process).
            >
            > With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be need for
            > further Tutti development.

            Towards what end, and in what sense? My main wish is not to put a lot of time
            and effort into something that people won't use -- in all seriousness, not to
            degrade others' hard work on a true emulator. If people still think Tutti
            occupies a useful niche, or could continue to serve a niche purpose despite
            its limitations, however, I definitely want to keep improving it.

            -- We aren't your science project! -- Akane, "Ranma 1/2" (OAV 9) --------------
          • Ian Gledhill
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
              --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

              > Towards what end, and in what sense? My main wish is not to put a
              lot of time

              > and effort into something that people won't use -- in all
              seriousness, not to

              > degrade others' hard work on a true emulator. If people still think
              Tutti

              > occupies a useful niche, or could continue to serve a niche purpose
              despite

              > its limitations, however, I definitely want to keep improving it.

              That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If so,
              then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite in
              the same market!

              Incidentally, I now have a BASIC prompt!

              There's still a slimey bug in there somewhere but I can now type in

              10 PRINT "hi"

              20 RUN

              Of course when I run it it crashes but it's getting there! I found out
              that when you read from an odd address, it reads from an even address
              instead! I *think* it's the address above (i.e. reading @>5D23 reads
              @>5D24).

              Still working on it.... wish I had some game ROMs....
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                > That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If so,
                > then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite in
                > the same market!

                That isn't what people are using it for. Most people are running it on
                a Commodore emulator on a PC, so I assume it's merely because there is no
                emulator for Windows (yet).

                I'm still asking a serious question about continuing to invest time in it.

                -- "Another day, another dangling modifier" -----------------------------------
              • Ian Gledhill
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                  --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

                  > > That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If
                  so,

                  > > then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite
                  in

                  > > the same market!

                  > That isn't what people are using it for. Most people are running it
                  on

                  > a Commodore emulator on a PC, so I assume it's merely because there
                  is no

                  > emulator for Windows (yet).

                  Incidentally, it should run on Linux, AmigaOS etc. too with a teensy
                  bit of modification, as it's all using SDL..

                  > I'm still asking a serious question about continuing to invest time
                  in it.

                  There can only be one serious answer, though, and that depends on why
                  you`re writing it. If you're writing it to replace an emulator, then
                  it probably isn`t worthwhile as it`ll take you an age to get the BASIC
                  perfect. On the other hand, if you want to make a Tutor compatibile
                  BASIC interpreter which perhaps you can expand on at some point, or
                  want a fast BASIC interpreter (my emulator is *very* slow at the
                  moment) then keep at it.

                  At the moment, it's academic, though - you still have the only Tutor
                  simulator out there, as I can`t get BASIC to work right yet. GBASIC
                  works now, but still lots of crashes in BASIC. I`ll get there though!

                  Thing is, why do any of us program these things? I do it because I
                  enjoy it.
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                    Oops, the typo fairy ate a word. It should have been:

                    With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be no need for
                    further Tutti development.