Re: [Tomy Tutor ] Re: Game ROMs

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 28, 2003
      > Your emulator worked pretty well, so I tried stealing it (I said I
      > would).
      >
      > So, with what I stole, my emulator now gets to the title screen, but
      > the bars on the side don't scroll up. Is that an interrupt thing?

      Probably. Where does the emulator try to write to the emulated 9918ANL
      just so I can update the memory map?

      -- Now and then innocent people are sent to the legislature. ------------------
    • spirantho
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 29, 2003
        --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

        > > Your emulator worked pretty well, so I tried stealing it (I said I

        > > would).

        > > So, with what I stole, my emulator now gets to the title screen,
        but

        > > the bars on the side don't scroll up. Is that an interrupt thing?

        > Probably. Where does the emulator try to write to the emulated
        9918ANL

        > just so I can update the memory map?

        It's >E000 to write data and >E002 to read/write to registers.

        Emucompboy:

        Yes, IIRC it's an interrupt that drives the bars - you need to send a
        level 3 interrupt (I think - it seems to work). In my code look in
        main.c at the main loop, you`ll see a line

        if (TMS9995_GetInterruptMask() >= 3)

        {

        TMS9995_TriggerInterrupt(0x03);

        The interrupt vectors are held at 0x0000 so interrupt level 3 gets the
        new WP from 3*0x04 and the new PC from 3*0x04+0x02.

        That gets called after the TMS9995 has executed a 60th of a second's
        worth of code (I`m not sure the Tutor ever existed in PAL form - has
        anyone ever actually SEEN a Grandstand Tutor?).

        Try that and see what happens - if it works maybe your code will get
        into BASIC, but I'd be very interested to find out if it falls over in
        the same place as mine...
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 29, 2003
          > > Probably. Where does the emulator try to write to the emulated 9918ANL
          > > just so I can update the memory map?

          > It's >E000 to write data and >E002 to read/write to registers.

          Noted. Group vote: is there any worth to my continuing to develop Tutti? It's
          a serious question, since there are always other projects on my list. :-)

          -- I think, therefore I'm single. -- Lizz Winstead ----------------------------
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 29, 2003
            I'm using the MAME CPU module. I tried the equivalent, and it didn't
            work with the MAME CPU. I think the MAME CPU has bugs -- either that
            or I'm not using it right.

            I wasn't using it right before, because some doofus at MAME decided
            that ReadMem16 and WriteMem16 would actually be byte-access things
            and not word-access things. Sheesh. They should 'a' just let the
            host computer decide how the moby was going to be laid out.

            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 29, 2003
              Depends on what those other projects are.

              Spirantho's emulator is mighty impressive. If he had an independent
              ROM dump, and a few game cart images, then he'd be done with a
              complete emulator in a few months. (Some notes from Barry Boone
              would hurry along the process).

              With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be need for
              further Tutti development.

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                > Depends on what those other projects are.
                >
                > Spirantho's emulator is mighty impressive. If he had an independent
                > ROM dump, and a few game cart images, then he'd be done with a
                > complete emulator in a few months. (Some notes from Barry Boone
                > would hurry along the process).
                >
                > With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be need for
                > further Tutti development.

                Towards what end, and in what sense? My main wish is not to put a lot of time
                and effort into something that people won't use -- in all seriousness, not to
                degrade others' hard work on a true emulator. If people still think Tutti
                occupies a useful niche, or could continue to serve a niche purpose despite
                its limitations, however, I definitely want to keep improving it.

                -- We aren't your science project! -- Akane, "Ranma 1/2" (OAV 9) --------------
              • Ian Gledhill
                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                  --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

                  > Towards what end, and in what sense? My main wish is not to put a
                  lot of time

                  > and effort into something that people won't use -- in all
                  seriousness, not to

                  > degrade others' hard work on a true emulator. If people still think
                  Tutti

                  > occupies a useful niche, or could continue to serve a niche purpose
                  despite

                  > its limitations, however, I definitely want to keep improving it.

                  That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If so,
                  then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite in
                  the same market!

                  Incidentally, I now have a BASIC prompt!

                  There's still a slimey bug in there somewhere but I can now type in

                  10 PRINT "hi"

                  20 RUN

                  Of course when I run it it crashes but it's getting there! I found out
                  that when you read from an odd address, it reads from an even address
                  instead! I *think* it's the address above (i.e. reading @>5D23 reads
                  @>5D24).

                  Still working on it.... wish I had some game ROMs....
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                    > That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If so,
                    > then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite in
                    > the same market!

                    That isn't what people are using it for. Most people are running it on
                    a Commodore emulator on a PC, so I assume it's merely because there is no
                    emulator for Windows (yet).

                    I'm still asking a serious question about continuing to invest time in it.

                    -- "Another day, another dangling modifier" -----------------------------------
                  • Ian Gledhill
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                      --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

                      > > That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If
                      so,

                      > > then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite
                      in

                      > > the same market!

                      > That isn't what people are using it for. Most people are running it
                      on

                      > a Commodore emulator on a PC, so I assume it's merely because there
                      is no

                      > emulator for Windows (yet).

                      Incidentally, it should run on Linux, AmigaOS etc. too with a teensy
                      bit of modification, as it's all using SDL..

                      > I'm still asking a serious question about continuing to invest time
                      in it.

                      There can only be one serious answer, though, and that depends on why
                      you`re writing it. If you're writing it to replace an emulator, then
                      it probably isn`t worthwhile as it`ll take you an age to get the BASIC
                      perfect. On the other hand, if you want to make a Tutor compatibile
                      BASIC interpreter which perhaps you can expand on at some point, or
                      want a fast BASIC interpreter (my emulator is *very* slow at the
                      moment) then keep at it.

                      At the moment, it's academic, though - you still have the only Tutor
                      simulator out there, as I can`t get BASIC to work right yet. GBASIC
                      works now, but still lots of crashes in BASIC. I`ll get there though!

                      Thing is, why do any of us program these things? I do it because I
                      enjoy it.
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                        Oops, the typo fairy ate a word. It should have been:

                        With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be no need for
                        further Tutti development.