Re: Game ROMs

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 28, 2003
      > Hi again,
      > Still can`t figure out what's wrong with my emulator - having any
      joy,
      > emucompboy?

      Your emulator worked pretty well, so I tried stealing it (I said I
      would).

      So, with what I stole, my emulator now gets to the title screen, but
      the bars on the side don't scroll up. Is that an interrupt thing?

      > In the meantime I've just bought myself 3 games - Car-azy racer,
      > Traffic Jam and LocoMotion.
      >

      > Is there any easy way to get ROM dumps of these? Are they already
      > dumped?

      Someone in the TI group dumped some cartridges, and for a while,
      those were up in the TI group files area. Unfortunately, they were
      arced up in some format which no modern unzipper comprehends :(
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 28, 2003
        > Your emulator worked pretty well, so I tried stealing it (I said I
        > would).
        >
        > So, with what I stole, my emulator now gets to the title screen, but
        > the bars on the side don't scroll up. Is that an interrupt thing?

        Probably. Where does the emulator try to write to the emulated 9918ANL
        just so I can update the memory map?

        -- Now and then innocent people are sent to the legislature. ------------------
      • spirantho
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 29, 2003
          --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

          > > Your emulator worked pretty well, so I tried stealing it (I said I

          > > would).

          > > So, with what I stole, my emulator now gets to the title screen,
          but

          > > the bars on the side don't scroll up. Is that an interrupt thing?

          > Probably. Where does the emulator try to write to the emulated
          9918ANL

          > just so I can update the memory map?

          It's >E000 to write data and >E002 to read/write to registers.

          Emucompboy:

          Yes, IIRC it's an interrupt that drives the bars - you need to send a
          level 3 interrupt (I think - it seems to work). In my code look in
          main.c at the main loop, you`ll see a line

          if (TMS9995_GetInterruptMask() >= 3)

          {

          TMS9995_TriggerInterrupt(0x03);

          The interrupt vectors are held at 0x0000 so interrupt level 3 gets the
          new WP from 3*0x04 and the new PC from 3*0x04+0x02.

          That gets called after the TMS9995 has executed a 60th of a second's
          worth of code (I`m not sure the Tutor ever existed in PAL form - has
          anyone ever actually SEEN a Grandstand Tutor?).

          Try that and see what happens - if it works maybe your code will get
          into BASIC, but I'd be very interested to find out if it falls over in
          the same place as mine...
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 29, 2003
            > > Probably. Where does the emulator try to write to the emulated 9918ANL
            > > just so I can update the memory map?

            > It's >E000 to write data and >E002 to read/write to registers.

            Noted. Group vote: is there any worth to my continuing to develop Tutti? It's
            a serious question, since there are always other projects on my list. :-)

            -- I think, therefore I'm single. -- Lizz Winstead ----------------------------
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 29, 2003
              I'm using the MAME CPU module. I tried the equivalent, and it didn't
              work with the MAME CPU. I think the MAME CPU has bugs -- either that
              or I'm not using it right.

              I wasn't using it right before, because some doofus at MAME decided
              that ReadMem16 and WriteMem16 would actually be byte-access things
              and not word-access things. Sheesh. They should 'a' just let the
              host computer decide how the moby was going to be laid out.

              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 29, 2003
                Depends on what those other projects are.

                Spirantho's emulator is mighty impressive. If he had an independent
                ROM dump, and a few game cart images, then he'd be done with a
                complete emulator in a few months. (Some notes from Barry Boone
                would hurry along the process).

                With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be need for
                further Tutti development.

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                  > Depends on what those other projects are.
                  >
                  > Spirantho's emulator is mighty impressive. If he had an independent
                  > ROM dump, and a few game cart images, then he'd be done with a
                  > complete emulator in a few months. (Some notes from Barry Boone
                  > would hurry along the process).
                  >
                  > With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be need for
                  > further Tutti development.

                  Towards what end, and in what sense? My main wish is not to put a lot of time
                  and effort into something that people won't use -- in all seriousness, not to
                  degrade others' hard work on a true emulator. If people still think Tutti
                  occupies a useful niche, or could continue to serve a niche purpose despite
                  its limitations, however, I definitely want to keep improving it.

                  -- We aren't your science project! -- Akane, "Ranma 1/2" (OAV 9) --------------
                • Ian Gledhill
                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                    --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

                    > Towards what end, and in what sense? My main wish is not to put a
                    lot of time

                    > and effort into something that people won't use -- in all
                    seriousness, not to

                    > degrade others' hard work on a true emulator. If people still think
                    Tutti

                    > occupies a useful niche, or could continue to serve a niche purpose
                    despite

                    > its limitations, however, I definitely want to keep improving it.

                    That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If so,
                    then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite in
                    the same market!

                    Incidentally, I now have a BASIC prompt!

                    There's still a slimey bug in there somewhere but I can now type in

                    10 PRINT "hi"

                    20 RUN

                    Of course when I run it it crashes but it's getting there! I found out
                    that when you read from an odd address, it reads from an even address
                    instead! I *think* it's the address above (i.e. reading @>5D23 reads
                    @>5D24).

                    Still working on it.... wish I had some game ROMs....
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                      > That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If so,
                      > then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite in
                      > the same market!

                      That isn't what people are using it for. Most people are running it on
                      a Commodore emulator on a PC, so I assume it's merely because there is no
                      emulator for Windows (yet).

                      I'm still asking a serious question about continuing to invest time in it.

                      -- "Another day, another dangling modifier" -----------------------------------
                    • Ian Gledhill
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                        --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

                        > > That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If
                        so,

                        > > then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite
                        in

                        > > the same market!

                        > That isn't what people are using it for. Most people are running it
                        on

                        > a Commodore emulator on a PC, so I assume it's merely because there
                        is no

                        > emulator for Windows (yet).

                        Incidentally, it should run on Linux, AmigaOS etc. too with a teensy
                        bit of modification, as it's all using SDL..

                        > I'm still asking a serious question about continuing to invest time
                        in it.

                        There can only be one serious answer, though, and that depends on why
                        you`re writing it. If you're writing it to replace an emulator, then
                        it probably isn`t worthwhile as it`ll take you an age to get the BASIC
                        perfect. On the other hand, if you want to make a Tutor compatibile
                        BASIC interpreter which perhaps you can expand on at some point, or
                        want a fast BASIC interpreter (my emulator is *very* slow at the
                        moment) then keep at it.

                        At the moment, it's academic, though - you still have the only Tutor
                        simulator out there, as I can`t get BASIC to work right yet. GBASIC
                        works now, but still lots of crashes in BASIC. I`ll get there though!

                        Thing is, why do any of us program these things? I do it because I
                        enjoy it.
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 30, 2003
                          Oops, the typo fairy ate a word. It should have been:

                          With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be no need for
                          further Tutti development.