Game ROMs

  • spirantho
    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 28 5:24 AM
      Hi again,

      Still can`t figure out what's wrong with my emulator - having any joy,
      emucompboy?

      In the meantime I've just bought myself 3 games - Car-azy racer,
      Traffic Jam and LocoMotion.

      Is there any easy way to get ROM dumps of these? Are they already
      dumped?

      Thanks!

      Ian Gledhill

      IanG@remove_this.amiganet.org
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 28 11:23 AM
        > Hi again,
        > Still can`t figure out what's wrong with my emulator - having any
        joy,
        > emucompboy?

        Your emulator worked pretty well, so I tried stealing it (I said I
        would).

        So, with what I stole, my emulator now gets to the title screen, but
        the bars on the side don't scroll up. Is that an interrupt thing?

        > In the meantime I've just bought myself 3 games - Car-azy racer,
        > Traffic Jam and LocoMotion.
        >

        > Is there any easy way to get ROM dumps of these? Are they already
        > dumped?

        Someone in the TI group dumped some cartridges, and for a while,
        those were up in the TI group files area. Unfortunately, they were
        arced up in some format which no modern unzipper comprehends :(
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 28 6:40 PM
          > Your emulator worked pretty well, so I tried stealing it (I said I
          > would).
          >
          > So, with what I stole, my emulator now gets to the title screen, but
          > the bars on the side don't scroll up. Is that an interrupt thing?

          Probably. Where does the emulator try to write to the emulated 9918ANL
          just so I can update the memory map?

          -- Now and then innocent people are sent to the legislature. ------------------
        • spirantho
          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 29 1:26 AM
            --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

            > > Your emulator worked pretty well, so I tried stealing it (I said I

            > > would).

            > > So, with what I stole, my emulator now gets to the title screen,
            but

            > > the bars on the side don't scroll up. Is that an interrupt thing?

            > Probably. Where does the emulator try to write to the emulated
            9918ANL

            > just so I can update the memory map?

            It's >E000 to write data and >E002 to read/write to registers.

            Emucompboy:

            Yes, IIRC it's an interrupt that drives the bars - you need to send a
            level 3 interrupt (I think - it seems to work). In my code look in
            main.c at the main loop, you`ll see a line

            if (TMS9995_GetInterruptMask() >= 3)

            {

            TMS9995_TriggerInterrupt(0x03);

            The interrupt vectors are held at 0x0000 so interrupt level 3 gets the
            new WP from 3*0x04 and the new PC from 3*0x04+0x02.

            That gets called after the TMS9995 has executed a 60th of a second's
            worth of code (I`m not sure the Tutor ever existed in PAL form - has
            anyone ever actually SEEN a Grandstand Tutor?).

            Try that and see what happens - if it works maybe your code will get
            into BASIC, but I'd be very interested to find out if it falls over in
            the same place as mine...
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 29 7:34 AM
              > > Probably. Where does the emulator try to write to the emulated 9918ANL
              > > just so I can update the memory map?

              > It's >E000 to write data and >E002 to read/write to registers.

              Noted. Group vote: is there any worth to my continuing to develop Tutti? It's
              a serious question, since there are always other projects on my list. :-)

              -- I think, therefore I'm single. -- Lizz Winstead ----------------------------
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 29 11:30 AM
                I'm using the MAME CPU module. I tried the equivalent, and it didn't
                work with the MAME CPU. I think the MAME CPU has bugs -- either that
                or I'm not using it right.

                I wasn't using it right before, because some doofus at MAME decided
                that ReadMem16 and WriteMem16 would actually be byte-access things
                and not word-access things. Sheesh. They should 'a' just let the
                host computer decide how the moby was going to be laid out.

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 29 6:50 PM
                  Depends on what those other projects are.

                  Spirantho's emulator is mighty impressive. If he had an independent
                  ROM dump, and a few game cart images, then he'd be done with a
                  complete emulator in a few months. (Some notes from Barry Boone
                  would hurry along the process).

                  With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be need for
                  further Tutti development.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 30 12:02 AM
                    > Depends on what those other projects are.
                    >
                    > Spirantho's emulator is mighty impressive. If he had an independent
                    > ROM dump, and a few game cart images, then he'd be done with a
                    > complete emulator in a few months. (Some notes from Barry Boone
                    > would hurry along the process).
                    >
                    > With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be need for
                    > further Tutti development.

                    Towards what end, and in what sense? My main wish is not to put a lot of time
                    and effort into something that people won't use -- in all seriousness, not to
                    degrade others' hard work on a true emulator. If people still think Tutti
                    occupies a useful niche, or could continue to serve a niche purpose despite
                    its limitations, however, I definitely want to keep improving it.

                    -- We aren't your science project! -- Akane, "Ranma 1/2" (OAV 9) --------------
                  • Ian Gledhill
                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 30 2:16 AM
                      --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

                      > Towards what end, and in what sense? My main wish is not to put a
                      lot of time

                      > and effort into something that people won't use -- in all
                      seriousness, not to

                      > degrade others' hard work on a true emulator. If people still think
                      Tutti

                      > occupies a useful niche, or could continue to serve a niche purpose
                      despite

                      > its limitations, however, I definitely want to keep improving it.

                      That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If so,
                      then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite in
                      the same market!

                      Incidentally, I now have a BASIC prompt!

                      There's still a slimey bug in there somewhere but I can now type in

                      10 PRINT "hi"

                      20 RUN

                      Of course when I run it it crashes but it's getting there! I found out
                      that when you read from an odd address, it reads from an even address
                      instead! I *think* it's the address above (i.e. reading @>5D23 reads
                      @>5D24).

                      Still working on it.... wish I had some game ROMs....
                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 30 7:37 AM
                        > That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If so,
                        > then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite in
                        > the same market!

                        That isn't what people are using it for. Most people are running it on
                        a Commodore emulator on a PC, so I assume it's merely because there is no
                        emulator for Windows (yet).

                        I'm still asking a serious question about continuing to invest time in it.

                        -- "Another day, another dangling modifier" -----------------------------------
                      • Ian Gledhill
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 30 8:45 AM
                          --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@f...> wrote:

                          > > That's the important bit - do you WANT to keep improving it? If
                          so,

                          > > then do so. My emulator will never run on a C64 so we're not quite
                          in

                          > > the same market!

                          > That isn't what people are using it for. Most people are running it
                          on

                          > a Commodore emulator on a PC, so I assume it's merely because there
                          is no

                          > emulator for Windows (yet).

                          Incidentally, it should run on Linux, AmigaOS etc. too with a teensy
                          bit of modification, as it's all using SDL..

                          > I'm still asking a serious question about continuing to invest time
                          in it.

                          There can only be one serious answer, though, and that depends on why
                          you`re writing it. If you're writing it to replace an emulator, then
                          it probably isn`t worthwhile as it`ll take you an age to get the BASIC
                          perfect. On the other hand, if you want to make a Tutor compatibile
                          BASIC interpreter which perhaps you can expand on at some point, or
                          want a fast BASIC interpreter (my emulator is *very* slow at the
                          moment) then keep at it.

                          At the moment, it's academic, though - you still have the only Tutor
                          simulator out there, as I can`t get BASIC to work right yet. GBASIC
                          works now, but still lots of crashes in BASIC. I`ll get there though!

                          Thing is, why do any of us program these things? I do it because I
                          enjoy it.
                          Message 12 of 12 , Apr 30 3:35 PM
                            Oops, the typo fairy ate a word. It should have been:

                            With a real emulator running under Windows, there'd be no need for
                            further Tutti development.