Re: First screenshot of TutorEm uploaded!

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10, 2003
      I see it now. WOW! COOL!!!

      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2003
        Tell us everything you've learned about the system!

        How about... at what addresses is the 9918a appearing in the CPU's
        memory space?

        --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, "spirantho" <IanG@a...> wrote:
        > --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, emucompboy <no_reply@y...> wrote:
        > album, right next to the picture of a TV screen showing the same
        > intro logo as the emulator (there's three photos in that album).
        >
        > If you're still having trouble I can upload it somewhere else...
        >
        > For anyone who has SDL installed I can send then a binary if they
        like
        > but it doesn't do much except the title screen so far.
      • spirantho
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 11, 2003
          --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, emucompboy <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > Tell us everything you've learned about the system!

          I will do when I know more.

          I`m currently at the stage where the graphics editor displays lots of
          blue bordered black boxes, like it should, but it displays all over
          the screen, so either my graphics mode I emulation is wrong (for it
          runs in mode 1, not gfx mode 2) or else my CPU is wrong.

          In BASIC I`m getting a read from an odd offset, so it's jumping into
          weird locations before giving me the ready prompt. I`m working on it!
          The good news is that I have keyboard input mostly working and I can
          select between graphics editor and BASIC mode even though I don`t have
          sprite support so can`t see the little hand.

          > How about... at what addresses is the 9918a appearing in the CPU's

          > memory space?

          I`m going to write an article about my findings in RetroReview - my
          magazine (www.retroreview.com for those who are interested) but I`ll
          also share any useful information with you. Certainly the floodgap
          pages need a little updating, but the most important facts are that
          the TMS9918ANL is written to at port @>E000 (and @>E002 when the MODE
          line is selected). So in other words, to write >FF to VDP register 12:

          LI R9,@>FF0C

          MOVB R9,@>E002

          ORI R9,@>0080 ; 0080 means write to register IIRC

          SWPB R9

          MOVB R9,@>E002

          SWPB R9

          ANDI R9,@>FF7F

          That should, from memory (I may be wrong as until last week I knew NO
          TMS assembler):

          Load R9 with >FF0C - in other words the value FF and the register 0C.

          Put FF into the VDP register space (MODE is 1)

          Set the "Set register" flag high (that's the MSB of the register no.)

          Swap the bytes round, so we can then...

          shove the value >8C (0C + register set flag) into the register space.

          then swap them back and restore the value.

          Incidentally, the keyboard is read by reading the CRU at address >EC10
          through to >EC70.

          I shall keep you all updated...

          --

          Ian Gledhill