Re: Tomy tutor won't enter BASIC programming mode

    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 10 1:45 PM
      Hmmm, been a while. Um, start your computer up without a game
      cartridge plugged in?

      --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, "kwoodrg" <kwoodrg@y...> wrote:
      > Hey everyone. I am new to this group, and realize that many times
      > there is quite a sense of community amongst discussion groups
      > (especially when it involves something as unique as the Tomy Tutor
      > computer). However, I am on a quest to reslove an issue with a TT
      of
      > my own. I bought this primarily because of the nostalgia of it
      being
      > my first computer at the age of 8! But, I also expect it to
      function
      > as I intend to let my little ones learn to program on it. The
      thing
      > is that it will not enter the BASIC programming mode. This baffles
      > me. When you select to enter the BASIC programming mode, it just
      > clears the screen and then goes back to the menu. I am not a
      genius
      > with the TT as I have seen some of you are, but I am fairly
      > intelligent (or I would not have a job as a level II Systems
      Engineer
      > for an 20,000+ worldwide company employee!) Anyway, I am just
      > praying for a glimmer of hope that this TT isn't hosed. --Regards,
      > Khristopher.
    • David S. Brain
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10 1:54 PM
        emucompboy wrote:
        > Hmmm, been a while. Um, start your computer up without a game
        > cartridge plugged in?

        Been a while for me too, but I think the carts only affect GBASIC space.
        I'm thinking that you can enter Tomy BASIC even with a cart plugged
        in. But worth trying anyway.
        --
        Davey Brain
        dsbrain@...

        "Peace is much more precious than a piece of land... let there be no
        more wars." -- Mohammed Anwar Sadat, 1918-1981

        <<--The power of OS/2 Warp 4.50 Mozilla 1.2.1-->>
        <<--AMD Athlon 1700XP+ ATI RagePro3D 8M 2X AGP-->>
        --
        This OS/2 system uptime is 0 days 00:46 hours and 10 seconds
      • kwoodrg
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
          I actually have the problem whether a cartride is plugged in or not.
          It isn't that the option doesn't show up, it's that when you select
          it, it acts like it is going to start BASIC, (the screen flickers)
          and then it returns back to the menu screen--really wierd. It almost
          acts like the ROM has been tinkered with and may not be original.
          However, everything else works great--games and all. It's kinda
          frustrating... :(
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 9, 2003
            > I actually have the problem whether a cartride is plugged in or not.
            > It isn't that the option doesn't show up, it's that when you select
            > it, it acts like it is going to start BASIC, (the screen flickers)
            > and then it returns back to the menu screen--really wierd. It almost
            > acts like the ROM has been tinkered with and may not be original.
            > However, everything else works great--games and all. It's kinda
            > frustrating... :(

            What ROM version shows up on the startup screen? Virtually all the ones
            I've encountered are version 2.3.

            -- I still think he needs a beating. -- Ukyo, "Ranma 1/2" ---------------------
          • kwoodrg
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 10, 2003
              I'm not sure off the top of my head. I beleive it is in fact 2.3,
              but I'm gonna check when I get home--I too am familiar with only 2.3
              (actually I didn't know they released any other version), so that
              would be an interesting point... I'll note it here if it is some odd
              ROM version.

              http://www.armory.com/~spectre/ --