Re: First screenshot of TutorEm uploaded!

  • spirantho
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2003
      --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, emucompboy <no_reply@y...> wrote:
      > Picture doesn't show on my computer...

      Hmm.. strange.. appears fine on my work machine (Win 2K) and my home
      machine (Amiga 4000 IBrowse 2.2 demo). Are you looking in the right
      place? It's in the photos section on the left, under the "screenshots"
      album, right next to the picture of a TV screen showing the same
      intro logo as the emulator (there's three photos in that album).

      If you're still having trouble I can upload it somewhere else...

      For anyone who has SDL installed I can send then a binary if they like
      but it doesn't do much except the title screen so far.
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 10, 2003
        I see it now. WOW! COOL!!!

        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 10, 2003
          Tell us everything you've learned about the system!

          How about... at what addresses is the 9918a appearing in the CPU's
          memory space?

          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 11, 2003
            --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, emucompboy <no_reply@y...> wrote:

            > Tell us everything you've learned about the system!

            I will do when I know more.

            I`m currently at the stage where the graphics editor displays lots of
            blue bordered black boxes, like it should, but it displays all over
            the screen, so either my graphics mode I emulation is wrong (for it
            runs in mode 1, not gfx mode 2) or else my CPU is wrong.

            In BASIC I`m getting a read from an odd offset, so it's jumping into
            weird locations before giving me the ready prompt. I`m working on it!
            The good news is that I have keyboard input mostly working and I can
            select between graphics editor and BASIC mode even though I don`t have
            sprite support so can`t see the little hand.

            > How about... at what addresses is the 9918a appearing in the CPU's

            > memory space?

            I`m going to write an article about my findings in RetroReview - my
            magazine (www.retroreview.com for those who are interested) but I`ll
            also share any useful information with you. Certainly the floodgap
            pages need a little updating, but the most important facts are that
            the TMS9918ANL is written to at port @>E000 (and @>E002 when the MODE
            line is selected). So in other words, to write >FF to VDP register 12:

            LI R9,@>FF0C

            MOVB R9,@>E002

            ORI R9,@>0080 ; 0080 means write to register IIRC

            SWPB R9

            MOVB R9,@>E002

            SWPB R9

            ANDI R9,@>FF7F

            That should, from memory (I may be wrong as until last week I knew NO
            TMS assembler):

            Load R9 with >FF0C - in other words the value FF and the register 0C.

            Put FF into the VDP register space (MODE is 1)

            Set the "Set register" flag high (that's the MSB of the register no.)

            Swap the bytes round, so we can then...

            shove the value >8C (0C + register set flag) into the register space.

            then swap them back and restore the value.

            Incidentally, the keyboard is read by reading the CRU at address >EC10
            through to >EC70.

            I shall keep you all updated...

            --

            Ian Gledhill