Tomy Tutor emulator...

  • spirantho
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
      Hi everybody,

      I've just joined this group - seems like it may be quite low traffic!
      Not to worry, though - I've just bagged me a slightly tatty Tomy Tutor
      which apparently works for $25! Shame I had to pay $35 postage...
      (airmail to UK).

      As it happens my ZX Spectrum emulator is getting pretty near complete,
      so I`ll be looking to start playing with another machine soon, and I`d
      like to get my hands dirty with a machine that nobody else has ever
      emulated - enter Mr. Tomy Tutor.

      I figure part of the work is already done - MESS is open source and
      emulates the TMS9995 more or less - shouldn`t take too much tweaking..
      and if I can`t use that, or, indeed, if I feel like it, I`ll write my
      own CPU emulation like I did for the Z80.

      This is the point at which I need some help, though. I know how the
      TI99 machines work reasonably well, so I can make a reasonable start,
      but I`m missing some information:

      1) Is anyone else working on a TT emulator? (I know about Tutti and
      I`ll probably give that a try on my C64 this weekend! I mean a real
      emulator though, not a simulator.)

      2) Has anyone ever dumped the BASIC ROM? I don`t have an EPROM burner
      so I can`t read the ROM easily myself, though I might try and get hold
      of one on eBay (a C64 one should do the trick and be cheap enough - I
      can read C64 disks on my Amiga)

      3) Are there any ROM images of games? Games are obviously the best
      thing to test the emulator with once the BASIC is working.

      4) Am I correct in thinking that Tutor BASIC has *no* access
      whatsoever to machine code or the ROM in general? This would make
      dumping the ROM a lot easier as if I can save the ROM out from BASIC
      (or from a machine code program called from BASIC) I can reverse
      engineer the tape signal.

      I`m sure I`ll think of other things but that'll do for now.... if
      anyone can help I`ll appreciate it, especially number 2 - I can`t even
      start properly until I have the ROM. Oh, and I`m not promising
      anything as I tend to be busy these days, so it could well be a long
      term project!

      Thanks for any help,

      Ian Gledhill

      IanG@... IanG@...

      www.retroreview.com -- the new mag for old computers!
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
        > 1) Is anyone else working on a TT emulator? (I know about Tutti and
        > I`ll probably give that a try on my C64 this weekend! I mean a real
        > emulator though, not a simulator.)

        I've played around with writing a real one (dubbed 'Tutti Too!') for the
        Macintosh, but made no real progress. Writing Tutti is just more fun,
        anyway. The emulated GBASIC core is coming along nicely.

        James was working on something similar, but I think he was getting
        defeated by banking signals. The custom logic array's secrets have not been
        well studied.

        > 2) Has anyone ever dumped the BASIC ROM? I don`t have an EPROM burner
        > so I can`t read the ROM easily myself, though I might try and get hold
        > of one on eBay (a C64 one should do the trick and be cheap enough - I
        > can read C64 disks on my Amiga)

        There are a few dumps lurking somewhere, and ...

        > 3) Are there any ROM images of games? Games are obviously the best
        > thing to test the emulator with once the BASIC is working.

        ... Barry Boone on the TI list has converted a few to run on the Geneve,
        so he must have some dumps of them, but I don't have his address handy.

        > 4) Am I correct in thinking that Tutor BASIC has *no* access
        > whatsoever to machine code or the ROM in general? This would make
        > dumping the ROM a lot easier as if I can save the ROM out from BASIC
        > (or from a machine code program called from BASIC) I can reverse
        > engineer the tape signal.

        You are correct. The only memory access BASIC has at all is MCELL() and
        SCELL(), and those are mostly because Tomy didn't fix some bugs in them.
        So, you must pull the ROMs and read them out yourself. This is a good
        use for a Commodore 128, if you have one, because they have an open ROM
        socket which immediately gets mapped into RAM and can be saved in the
        MONITOR.

        However, what kind of Tutor is it? Is it a real Tomy Tutor, or is it a
        Grandstand Tutor? Does it have GBASIC and BASIC, or just GBASIC? What
        version ROM does the startup screen say (most ones I've encountered say
        version 2.3)?

        -- Knowledge puffs up, but love builds up. -- 1 Corinthians 8:1 ---------------
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003

          > I've just joined this group - seems like it may be quite low
          traffic!

          Nah, We are just having a little dryspell right now..
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
            > I've just joined this group - seems like it may be quite low
            traffic!

            We're here, but lurking!

            > I`d
            > like to get my hands dirty with a machine that nobody else has ever
            > emulated - enter Mr. Tomy Tutor.

            Me too!

            > I figure part of the work is already done - MESS is open source and
            > emulates the TMS9995 more or less - shouldn`t take too much
            tweaking..
            > and if I can`t use that, or, indeed, if I feel like it, I`ll write
            my
            > own CPU emulation like I did for the Z80.

            The MESS people changed memory access for their CPUs, so now I have
            no clue about how to use their new code :( Good luck!

            > 1) Is anyone else working on a TT emulator? (I know about Tutti and
            > I`ll probably give that a try on my C64 this weekend! I mean a real
            > emulator though, not a simulator.)

            I've tried, and failed, 'cause I don't know how to interface the new
            MESS CPU with my stuff, and I just don't know enough about the TMS
            microprocessors to know how it should be behavin' anyway.

            > 2) Has anyone ever dumped the BASIC ROM? I don`t have an EPROM
            burner
            > so I can`t read the ROM easily myself, though I might try and get
            hold
            > of one on eBay (a C64 one should do the trick and be cheap enough -
            > can read C64 disks on my Amiga)

            Someone did...

            > 3) Are there any ROM images of games? Games are obviously the best
            > thing to test the emulator with once the BASIC is working.

            There were some on the TI group at one time, but they were in some
            kind of archived format that isn't standard DOS/Windows.

            > 4) Am I correct in thinking that Tutor BASIC has *no* access
            > whatsoever to machine code or the ROM in general? This would make
            > dumping the ROM a lot easier as if I can save the ROM out from
            BASIC
            > (or from a machine code program called from BASIC) I can reverse
            > engineer the tape signal.

            Correct. No access whatsoever.

            O' course I could be wrong. I thought that there was no access
            whatsoever to the Gameboy Advance OS ROM, but someone figured out how
            to get that.

            > long
            > term project!

            Tell me about it! I wanted to write an emulator the Tomy Tutor, but
            I stopped to do a couple of other computers to practice. Then, I'd
            try to write the Tomy Tutor emulator, then stop and do some more
            practice. I am a real failure. See my website for proof:

            www.geocities.com/emucompboy

            Anyways, write me (so I can get your e-mail address) and I'll try to
            dig up those ROMs which someone else dumped. No guarantee about
            their quality.

            emucompboy ATEFFSPAM yahoo DOTEFFSPAM c_o_m
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 14, 2003
              > Tell me about it! I wanted to write an emulator the Tomy Tutor, but
              > I stopped to do a couple of other computers to practice. Then, I'd
              > try to write the Tomy Tutor emulator, then stop and do some more
              > practice. I am a real failure. See my website for proof:
              >
              > www.geocities.com/emucompboy

              Yeah, man, total failure! Why, you haven't released *anything* at all! ;-)

              -- "I'd love to go out with you, but my favourite commercial is on TV." -------
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 16, 2003
                > > Tell me about it! I wanted to write an emulator the Tomy Tutor,
                but
                > > I stopped to do a couple of other computers to practice. Then,
                I'd
                > > try to write the Tomy Tutor emulator, then stop and do some more
                > > practice. I am a real failure. See my website for proof:
                > >
                > > www.geocities.com/emucompboy
                >
                > Yeah, man, total failure! Why, you haven't released *anything* at
                all! ;-)

                See, each emulator on my website represents a failure to make a Tomy
                Tutor emulator.

                Not only that, but my current generation of Triops are all stunted :(