Re: [Tomy Tutor ] My new website

  • David S. Brain
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
      OK, first let me apologize to everyone. The message about the Commie
      computers was SUPPOSED to go to Swap personally. I had just got out of
      bed and was obviously not fully awake when I wrote and sent that letter.
      I don't mean to start any wars, especially when I'm outnumbered here
      (and most places as there were approximately 6.8 C64s sold for every
      TI-99 sold).

      Second, how did the Panasonic JR200 pop up in the Tomy Tutor group? I'm
      not even sure I knew what group I was in when I got the link to the
      website :/
      --
      Davey Brain
      dsbrain@...

      <<--Unfortunately in Win98 today, Netscape 7.0-->>
      <<--AMD Athlon 1700XP+ S3 ProSavageDDR 4X AGP-->>

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
        Davey, you have nothing to apologize for.

        To everybody else;

        I personally don't mind these types of conversations as long as they
        are civil,-- And I know all of us are old enough and wise enough to
        be civil. :)

        I remember having heated debates when I was 14 yrs old about the
        C=64, (and that was 16 years ago), and I don't need to rehash that
        part of my youth. :)

        Secondly, there has been little to talk about on the Club board, so I
        personally don't mind if we discuss other machines, unless you all
        have a problem with doing so. I don't like to censor people unless
        it is for something entirely inappropiate.

        Thirdly, I consider all of us to be friends who have similiar
        collecting hobbies. If you want to talk about other vintage
        computers, please fill free to do so. Or, as an example, if you own a
        vintage car and want to talk about it, then do so.

        This is a free speech board...

        whew.... . :)

        swap

        Happy New Year!
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
          I want to collect it before you do, but you seem to have a larger
          supply of $$$ and space than I do, not to mention a quicker finger on
          the E-Bay Bid button!

          :)

          --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, swap_and_shop <no_reply@y...> wrote:

          > Thirdly, I consider all of us to be friends who have similiar
          > collecting hobbies. If you want to talk about other vintage
          > computers, please fill free to do so. Or, as an example, if you own
          > vintage car and want to talk about it, then do so.
        • Jeff White
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
            "Cameron Kaiser" <spectre@...> wrote:
            <snip>
            > Also working on a comparison architecture between the TI series and the
            Tomy
            > (hey, does anyone know if the 9995 in the 99/2 and 99/8 is also muxed?),
            > updating all the old information, and I might work on a Tutor-ial page for
            > getting started with the Tutor, GRAPHICs mode, etc.

            The 9995 muxes the databus always. The 9995 is the indirect descendant of
            the 9985 that was supposed to be in the 99/4 -- which instead got a 9900
            kludged to work similarly to the 9985. The 99/8 uses a special version of
            the 9995 that disables most of the on-chip RAM. Not sure about the 99/2.

            Jeff White
            jhwhite@...
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
              > The 9995 muxes the databus always. The 9995 is the indirect descendant of
              > the 9985 that was supposed to be in the 99/4 -- which instead got a 9900
              > kludged to work similarly to the 9985. The 99/8 uses a special version of
              > the 9995 that disables most of the on-chip RAM.

              Explain this. Is there another "$8300 page" RAM out there in the 99/8?
              Is that page connected by the same 16-bit wide path as the 9900's, or muxed
              in the same way as the rest of memory access? And what's most of the RAM?

              -- A dean is to faculty as a hydrant is to a dog. -- Alfred Kahn --------------
            • Jeff White
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
                > > The 9995 muxes the databus always. The 9995 is the indirect descendant
                of
                > > the 9985 that was supposed to be in the 99/4 -- which instead got a 9900
                > > kludged to work similarly to the 9985. The 99/8 uses a special version
                of
                > > the 9995 that disables most of the on-chip RAM.
                >
                > Explain this. Is there another "$8300 page" RAM out there in the 99/8?
                > Is that page connected by the same 16-bit wide path as the 9900's, or
                muxed
                > in the same way as the rest of memory access? And what's most of the RAM?

                The off-the-shelf 9995 has 256 bytes of on-chip RAM at >F000-F0F9 and
                >FFFA-FFFF that is on the 16-bit internal bus. The word at >FFFA is the
                on-chip decrementer and >FFFC-FFFF is the NMI (non-maskable interrupt, or
                Load, vector). From what I understand, having never studied the 99/8 in
                detail, it has the on-chip RAM at >F000-F0F9 disabled. The Myarc Geneve
                9640 uses a standard 9995 and 8K memory pages. Because the 9995 does not
                disable the external bus during writes, accessing a page mapped to
                >E000-FFFF in the areas >F000-F0F9 and >FFFA-FFFF will mess with even bytes
                in the page. Internally a 16-bit operation is happenning, but only the even
                data byte shows on the external bus.

                With regard to the "$8300 page" RAM: This is the CPU PAD of the 99/4A and
                the only directly accessible CPU RAM in a stock console. The standard 16K
                RAM of the 99/4A is indirectly accessed via the VDP, the TMS9918A in North
                American consoles. Much of the console ROM and GROM and peripheral ROM
                (DSR's) is written such that the CPU PAD can be relocated.

                E.g., the disk controllers typically report error codes at >8350. In the TI
                floppy disk controller source code, that error code may have been written
                with an instruction such as "MOV @ERR12,@>0050(R9)". The workspace register
                R9 in the case of the 99/4A contains >8300. The 99/8 could have its CPU PAD
                elsewhere.

                Jeff White
                jhwhite@...