Re: [Tomy Tutor ] My new website

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
      --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@s...> wrote:
      > No offense to those in the conversation, but I'd really like to
      avoid a
      > my-computer-can-beat-up-your-computer thread. I get that enough

      LOL, not the least of which is that we're doing the "my computer is
      better" about computers that are seventeen years obsolete.

      > ObTutor: Great things are afoot on the GBASIC front -- stay tuned
      for a
      > very complete analysis, and the first steps towards a working GBASIC
      > model in Tutti. I'm still fleshing out the syntax tree (there's a
      lot of

      Well, for the third time, I have failed to make an emulator for the
      Tomy Tutor. I really gave it a good try this last time, too.
      (Sometimes my good tries work out fairly well -- the Panasonic JR-
      200U emulator works well enough to play about half its games). I
      failed partly because I do not understand the MAME 9995 CPU module,
      which is not like the other modules (old z80 and recent 680x) modules
      I have been working with. I think for my next try, I'll try to make
      a TI emulator, and if that works, change it into a Tomy Tutor
      emulator.
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
        > > ObTutor: Great things are afoot on the GBASIC front -- stay tuned for a
        > > very complete analysis, and the first steps towards a working GBASIC
        > > model in Tutti. I'm still fleshing out the syntax tree (there's a lot of
        >
        > Well, for the third time, I have failed to make an emulator for the
        > Tomy Tutor. I really gave it a good try this last time, too.

        I'm wondering if the (so far poorly understood) banking logic is to blame.
        The Tutor has a lot more ROM to worry about and deal with than the TI.

        Tutti 0.3 is nearly done. I'm not going to put the GBASIC interpreter in it
        yet (I'm not finished figuring out all the quirks), but it will have some
        semblance of a GBASIC mode, and I'll probably enable some sort of file
        access from the MONitor. I fixed all the bugs from before and cleaned up the
        GRAPHICs mode raster flicker, too. It's not perfect but it's cleaner.

        Also working on a comparison architecture between the TI series and the Tomy
        (hey, does anyone know if the 9995 in the 99/2 and 99/8 is also muxed?),
        updating all the old information, and I might work on a Tutor-ial page for
        getting started with the Tutor, GRAPHICs mode, etc.

        -- Well done is better than well said. -- Benjamin Franklin -------------------
      • David S. Brain
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
          OK, first let me apologize to everyone. The message about the Commie
          computers was SUPPOSED to go to Swap personally. I had just got out of
          bed and was obviously not fully awake when I wrote and sent that letter.
          I don't mean to start any wars, especially when I'm outnumbered here
          (and most places as there were approximately 6.8 C64s sold for every
          TI-99 sold).

          Second, how did the Panasonic JR200 pop up in the Tomy Tutor group? I'm
          not even sure I knew what group I was in when I got the link to the
          website :/
          --
          Davey Brain
          dsbrain@...

          <<--Unfortunately in Win98 today, Netscape 7.0-->>
          <<--AMD Athlon 1700XP+ S3 ProSavageDDR 4X AGP-->>

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
            Davey, you have nothing to apologize for.

            To everybody else;

            I personally don't mind these types of conversations as long as they
            are civil,-- And I know all of us are old enough and wise enough to
            be civil. :)

            I remember having heated debates when I was 14 yrs old about the
            C=64, (and that was 16 years ago), and I don't need to rehash that
            part of my youth. :)

            Secondly, there has been little to talk about on the Club board, so I
            personally don't mind if we discuss other machines, unless you all
            have a problem with doing so. I don't like to censor people unless
            it is for something entirely inappropiate.

            Thirdly, I consider all of us to be friends who have similiar
            collecting hobbies. If you want to talk about other vintage
            computers, please fill free to do so. Or, as an example, if you own a
            vintage car and want to talk about it, then do so.

            This is a free speech board...

            whew.... . :)

            swap

            Happy New Year!
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
              I want to collect it before you do, but you seem to have a larger
              supply of $$$ and space than I do, not to mention a quicker finger on
              the E-Bay Bid button!

              :)

              --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, swap_and_shop <no_reply@y...> wrote:

              > Thirdly, I consider all of us to be friends who have similiar
              > collecting hobbies. If you want to talk about other vintage
              > computers, please fill free to do so. Or, as an example, if you own
              > vintage car and want to talk about it, then do so.
            • Jeff White
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
                "Cameron Kaiser" <spectre@...> wrote:
                <snip>
                > Also working on a comparison architecture between the TI series and the
                Tomy
                > (hey, does anyone know if the 9995 in the 99/2 and 99/8 is also muxed?),
                > updating all the old information, and I might work on a Tutor-ial page for
                > getting started with the Tutor, GRAPHICs mode, etc.

                The 9995 muxes the databus always. The 9995 is the indirect descendant of
                the 9985 that was supposed to be in the 99/4 -- which instead got a 9900
                kludged to work similarly to the 9985. The 99/8 uses a special version of
                the 9995 that disables most of the on-chip RAM. Not sure about the 99/2.

                Jeff White
                jhwhite@...
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
                  > The 9995 muxes the databus always. The 9995 is the indirect descendant of
                  > the 9985 that was supposed to be in the 99/4 -- which instead got a 9900
                  > kludged to work similarly to the 9985. The 99/8 uses a special version of
                  > the 9995 that disables most of the on-chip RAM.

                  Explain this. Is there another "$8300 page" RAM out there in the 99/8?
                  Is that page connected by the same 16-bit wide path as the 9900's, or muxed
                  in the same way as the rest of memory access? And what's most of the RAM?

                  -- A dean is to faculty as a hydrant is to a dog. -- Alfred Kahn --------------
                • Jeff White
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
                    > > The 9995 muxes the databus always. The 9995 is the indirect descendant
                    of
                    > > the 9985 that was supposed to be in the 99/4 -- which instead got a 9900
                    > > kludged to work similarly to the 9985. The 99/8 uses a special version
                    of
                    > > the 9995 that disables most of the on-chip RAM.
                    >
                    > Explain this. Is there another "$8300 page" RAM out there in the 99/8?
                    > Is that page connected by the same 16-bit wide path as the 9900's, or
                    muxed
                    > in the same way as the rest of memory access? And what's most of the RAM?

                    The off-the-shelf 9995 has 256 bytes of on-chip RAM at >F000-F0F9 and
                    >FFFA-FFFF that is on the 16-bit internal bus. The word at >FFFA is the
                    on-chip decrementer and >FFFC-FFFF is the NMI (non-maskable interrupt, or
                    Load, vector). From what I understand, having never studied the 99/8 in
                    detail, it has the on-chip RAM at >F000-F0F9 disabled. The Myarc Geneve
                    9640 uses a standard 9995 and 8K memory pages. Because the 9995 does not
                    disable the external bus during writes, accessing a page mapped to
                    >E000-FFFF in the areas >F000-F0F9 and >FFFA-FFFF will mess with even bytes
                    in the page. Internally a 16-bit operation is happenning, but only the even
                    data byte shows on the external bus.

                    With regard to the "$8300 page" RAM: This is the CPU PAD of the 99/4A and
                    the only directly accessible CPU RAM in a stock console. The standard 16K
                    RAM of the 99/4A is indirectly accessed via the VDP, the TMS9918A in North
                    American consoles. Much of the console ROM and GROM and peripheral ROM
                    (DSR's) is written such that the CPU PAD can be relocated.

                    E.g., the disk controllers typically report error codes at >8350. In the TI
                    floppy disk controller source code, that error code may have been written
                    with an instruction such as "MOV @ERR12,@>0050(R9)". The workspace register
                    R9 in the case of the 99/4A contains >8300. The 99/8 could have its CPU PAD
                    elsewhere.

                    Jeff White
                    jhwhite@...