Re: [Tomy Tutor ] My new website

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 30 11:27 AM
      The Commodore 64 was superior to the Panasonic JR-200U in every
      respect except for Commie BASIC lacking sound and graphic commands.

      If you've been programming the Panasonic JR, you've probably
      discovered that its BASIC sound commands are nothing to write home
      about anyway -- and the sound quality (almost-square waves) is not
      great.

      But we're discussing this in the wrong group. This thread should be
      in Home Computers and not in Tomy Tutor.

      --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, "David S. Brain" <dsbrain@n...>

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 30 11:38 AM
        I like the way the Atari 8-bit computer graphics look on a TV screen,
        but that's just me.

        Oh, and I hate the Panasonic's sound chip (which appears to be
        integrated into the sub-cpu -- remind you of something? Reminds me
        of Commodore's TED). The near-square waves are just harsh on the
        attack.

        The AY sound chips in the NEC TREK and the Aquarius mini-expander
        (and numerous other computers) are much nicer than the Panasonic JR
        sound.

        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30 11:47 AM
          --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@s...> wrote:
          > No offense to those in the conversation, but I'd really like to
          avoid a
          > my-computer-can-beat-up-your-computer thread. I get that enough

          LOL, not the least of which is that we're doing the "my computer is
          better" about computers that are seventeen years obsolete.

          > ObTutor: Great things are afoot on the GBASIC front -- stay tuned
          for a
          > very complete analysis, and the first steps towards a working GBASIC
          > model in Tutti. I'm still fleshing out the syntax tree (there's a
          lot of

          Well, for the third time, I have failed to make an emulator for the
          Tomy Tutor. I really gave it a good try this last time, too.
          (Sometimes my good tries work out fairly well -- the Panasonic JR-
          200U emulator works well enough to play about half its games). I
          failed partly because I do not understand the MAME 9995 CPU module,
          which is not like the other modules (old z80 and recent 680x) modules
          I have been working with. I think for my next try, I'll try to make
          a TI emulator, and if that works, change it into a Tomy Tutor
          emulator.
          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 30 12:05 PM
            > > ObTutor: Great things are afoot on the GBASIC front -- stay tuned for a
            > > very complete analysis, and the first steps towards a working GBASIC
            > > model in Tutti. I'm still fleshing out the syntax tree (there's a lot of
            >
            > Well, for the third time, I have failed to make an emulator for the
            > Tomy Tutor. I really gave it a good try this last time, too.

            I'm wondering if the (so far poorly understood) banking logic is to blame.
            The Tutor has a lot more ROM to worry about and deal with than the TI.

            Tutti 0.3 is nearly done. I'm not going to put the GBASIC interpreter in it
            yet (I'm not finished figuring out all the quirks), but it will have some
            semblance of a GBASIC mode, and I'll probably enable some sort of file
            access from the MONitor. I fixed all the bugs from before and cleaned up the
            GRAPHICs mode raster flicker, too. It's not perfect but it's cleaner.

            Also working on a comparison architecture between the TI series and the Tomy
            (hey, does anyone know if the 9995 in the 99/2 and 99/8 is also muxed?),
            updating all the old information, and I might work on a Tutor-ial page for
            getting started with the Tutor, GRAPHICs mode, etc.

            -- Well done is better than well said. -- Benjamin Franklin -------------------
          • David S. Brain
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 30 12:31 PM
              OK, first let me apologize to everyone. The message about the Commie
              computers was SUPPOSED to go to Swap personally. I had just got out of
              bed and was obviously not fully awake when I wrote and sent that letter.
              I don't mean to start any wars, especially when I'm outnumbered here
              (and most places as there were approximately 6.8 C64s sold for every
              TI-99 sold).

              Second, how did the Panasonic JR200 pop up in the Tomy Tutor group? I'm
              not even sure I knew what group I was in when I got the link to the
              website :/
              --
              Davey Brain
              dsbrain@...

              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 30 12:55 PM
                Davey, you have nothing to apologize for.

                To everybody else;

                I personally don't mind these types of conversations as long as they
                are civil,-- And I know all of us are old enough and wise enough to
                be civil. :)

                I remember having heated debates when I was 14 yrs old about the
                C=64, (and that was 16 years ago), and I don't need to rehash that
                part of my youth. :)

                Secondly, there has been little to talk about on the Club board, so I
                personally don't mind if we discuss other machines, unless you all
                have a problem with doing so. I don't like to censor people unless
                it is for something entirely inappropiate.

                Thirdly, I consider all of us to be friends who have similiar
                collecting hobbies. If you want to talk about other vintage
                computers, please fill free to do so. Or, as an example, if you own a
                vintage car and want to talk about it, then do so.

                This is a free speech board...

                whew.... . :)

                swap

                Happy New Year!
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 30 3:16 PM
                  I want to collect it before you do, but you seem to have a larger
                  supply of $$$ and space than I do, not to mention a quicker finger on
                  the E-Bay Bid button!

                  :)

                  --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, swap_and_shop <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                  > Thirdly, I consider all of us to be friends who have similiar
                  > collecting hobbies. If you want to talk about other vintage
                  > computers, please fill free to do so. Or, as an example, if you own
                  > vintage car and want to talk about it, then do so.
                • Jeff White
                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 30 5:16 PM
                    "Cameron Kaiser" <spectre@...> wrote:
                    <snip>
                    > Also working on a comparison architecture between the TI series and the
                    Tomy
                    > (hey, does anyone know if the 9995 in the 99/2 and 99/8 is also muxed?),
                    > updating all the old information, and I might work on a Tutor-ial page for
                    > getting started with the Tutor, GRAPHICs mode, etc.

                    The 9995 muxes the databus always. The 9995 is the indirect descendant of
                    the 9985 that was supposed to be in the 99/4 -- which instead got a 9900
                    kludged to work similarly to the 9985. The 99/8 uses a special version of
                    the 9995 that disables most of the on-chip RAM. Not sure about the 99/2.

                    Jeff White
                    jhwhite@...
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 30 5:59 PM
                      > The 9995 muxes the databus always. The 9995 is the indirect descendant of
                      > the 9985 that was supposed to be in the 99/4 -- which instead got a 9900
                      > kludged to work similarly to the 9985. The 99/8 uses a special version of
                      > the 9995 that disables most of the on-chip RAM.

                      Explain this. Is there another "$8300 page" RAM out there in the 99/8?
                      Is that page connected by the same 16-bit wide path as the 9900's, or muxed
                      in the same way as the rest of memory access? And what's most of the RAM?

                      -- A dean is to faculty as a hydrant is to a dog. -- Alfred Kahn --------------
                    • Jeff White
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 30 8:27 PM
                        > > The 9995 muxes the databus always. The 9995 is the indirect descendant
                        of
                        > > the 9985 that was supposed to be in the 99/4 -- which instead got a 9900
                        > > kludged to work similarly to the 9985. The 99/8 uses a special version
                        of
                        > > the 9995 that disables most of the on-chip RAM.
                        >
                        > Explain this. Is there another "$8300 page" RAM out there in the 99/8?
                        > Is that page connected by the same 16-bit wide path as the 9900's, or
                        muxed
                        > in the same way as the rest of memory access? And what's most of the RAM?

                        The off-the-shelf 9995 has 256 bytes of on-chip RAM at >F000-F0F9 and
                        >FFFA-FFFF that is on the 16-bit internal bus. The word at >FFFA is the
                        on-chip decrementer and >FFFC-FFFF is the NMI (non-maskable interrupt, or
                        Load, vector). From what I understand, having never studied the 99/8 in
                        detail, it has the on-chip RAM at >F000-F0F9 disabled. The Myarc Geneve
                        9640 uses a standard 9995 and 8K memory pages. Because the 9995 does not
                        disable the external bus during writes, accessing a page mapped to
                        >E000-FFFF in the areas >F000-F0F9 and >FFFA-FFFF will mess with even bytes
                        in the page. Internally a 16-bit operation is happenning, but only the even
                        data byte shows on the external bus.

                        With regard to the "$8300 page" RAM: This is the CPU PAD of the 99/4A and
                        the only directly accessible CPU RAM in a stock console. The standard 16K
                        RAM of the 99/4A is indirectly accessed via the VDP, the TMS9918A in North
                        American consoles. Much of the console ROM and GROM and peripheral ROM
                        (DSR's) is written such that the CPU PAD can be relocated.

                        E.g., the disk controllers typically report error codes at >8350. In the TI
                        floppy disk controller source code, that error code may have been written
                        with an instruction such as "MOV @ERR12,@>0050(R9)". The workspace register
                        R9 in the case of the 99/4A contains >8300. The 99/8 could have its CPU PAD
                        elsewhere.

                        Jeff White
                        jhwhite@...