Re: [Tomy Tutor ] My new website

    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 29, 2002
      > Matter of opinion here...the only "superior" things about the C64 I can
      > think of are cheap, the sound chip and the sheer mass of software
      > available. The TI-99 was better built, the Atari had a better keyboard,
      > the CoCo had great support from Radio Shack and all of them had much
      > faster and more reliable disk drives and easier versions of BASIC to
      > use. The Panasonic JR200 had good graphics, a great BASIC and was well
      > built, and if it had lasted longer and gotten more popular, it would
      > have been a great system. Sure the C-64 was cheap, but it was, well,
      > cheap...

      No offense to those in the conversation, but I'd really like to avoid a
      my-computer-can-beat-up-your-computer thread. I get that enough other
      places and it's really quite tiresome.

      ObTutor: Great things are afoot on the GBASIC front -- stay tuned for a
      very complete analysis, and the first steps towards a working GBASIC
      model in Tutti. I'm still fleshing out the syntax tree (there's a lot of
      weirdness in GBASIC's expression handling), but at least one
      undocumented keyword has emerged, as well as some clues to its
      internal memory representations. I'll be posting when it's done very
      soon (next week perhaps).

      -- What use is magic if it can't save a unicorn? -- Beagle, "The Last Unicorn"
      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 29, 2002
        Hey Davey..

        Davey, you know I am partial to Commodore.

        But the videogame crash of 1983 did kill off a lot of computer brands
        as well as videogame systems..

        My opinion is based partly on the research I conducted from the
        Panasonic JR-200 magazine articles I found. The articles basically
        state that NEC Trek, Panasonic jr-200 and yes, even the Tutor, could
        not compete in price when compared to the Commodore 64.

        Go to the magazine section on my website..

        Very few companies could compete with the price of the Commodore 64
        David, as you very well know.. The video game crash, combined with
        the low cost 64 made the NEC TREK, Panasonic JR-200 and the Tomy
        Tutor unable to compete.. The market was flooded as well.

        What I thought was interesting in my research is that both the Tutor,
        Nec Trek and Panasonic JR-200 were cancelled during the same time
        period in January/February 1984. Obviously the Japanese were having
        major problems competing in the American marketplace at that time.

        So, that is my opinion and I am sticking by it.. :)

        Now as to the success of the C=64.

        The graphics on the Commodore 64 are some of the best I have ever
        seen on a 8bit computer.

        Frankly, there is no software that I have seen on the Panasonic JR-
        200 that that even remotely competes with the graphics of the
        Commodore 64...

        In my opinion the Commodore 64 beats Apple IIe, TI-99 4/a, Tomy
        Tutor, Mattel Aquarius, Nec Trek, and Panasonic JR-200, and just
        about all other 8 bits for graphics..

        I can show you a few classic games on the C=64, Defender of the Crown
        would be an excellent demonstration. Or perhaps legacy of the
        ancients.. Or even Three Stooges...

        True the disk drives are slow. And they do have to be aligned from
        time to time.. I was able to use my original drives for 5 years
        running a bbs without cleaning or alignment.

        The SID chip of the Commodore 64 is hard to beat, although I know
        that the Panasonic JR-200 has an excellent sound chip..

        So for graphics and sound, the 64 is top notch...
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
          The Commodore 64 was superior to the Panasonic JR-200U in every
          respect except for Commie BASIC lacking sound and graphic commands.

          If you've been programming the Panasonic JR, you've probably
          discovered that its BASIC sound commands are nothing to write home
          about anyway -- and the sound quality (almost-square waves) is not
          great.

          But we're discussing this in the wrong group. This thread should be
          in Home Computers and not in Tomy Tutor.

          --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, "David S. Brain" <dsbrain@n...>

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
            I like the way the Atari 8-bit computer graphics look on a TV screen,
            but that's just me.

            Oh, and I hate the Panasonic's sound chip (which appears to be
            integrated into the sub-cpu -- remind you of something? Reminds me
            of Commodore's TED). The near-square waves are just harsh on the
            attack.

            The AY sound chips in the NEC TREK and the Aquarius mini-expander
            (and numerous other computers) are much nicer than the Panasonic JR
            sound.

            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
              --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, Cameron Kaiser <spectre@s...> wrote:
              > No offense to those in the conversation, but I'd really like to
              avoid a
              > my-computer-can-beat-up-your-computer thread. I get that enough

              LOL, not the least of which is that we're doing the "my computer is
              better" about computers that are seventeen years obsolete.

              > ObTutor: Great things are afoot on the GBASIC front -- stay tuned
              for a
              > very complete analysis, and the first steps towards a working GBASIC
              > model in Tutti. I'm still fleshing out the syntax tree (there's a
              lot of

              Well, for the third time, I have failed to make an emulator for the
              Tomy Tutor. I really gave it a good try this last time, too.
              (Sometimes my good tries work out fairly well -- the Panasonic JR-
              200U emulator works well enough to play about half its games). I
              failed partly because I do not understand the MAME 9995 CPU module,
              which is not like the other modules (old z80 and recent 680x) modules
              I have been working with. I think for my next try, I'll try to make
              a TI emulator, and if that works, change it into a Tomy Tutor
              emulator.
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
                > > ObTutor: Great things are afoot on the GBASIC front -- stay tuned for a
                > > very complete analysis, and the first steps towards a working GBASIC
                > > model in Tutti. I'm still fleshing out the syntax tree (there's a lot of
                >
                > Well, for the third time, I have failed to make an emulator for the
                > Tomy Tutor. I really gave it a good try this last time, too.

                I'm wondering if the (so far poorly understood) banking logic is to blame.
                The Tutor has a lot more ROM to worry about and deal with than the TI.

                Tutti 0.3 is nearly done. I'm not going to put the GBASIC interpreter in it
                yet (I'm not finished figuring out all the quirks), but it will have some
                semblance of a GBASIC mode, and I'll probably enable some sort of file
                access from the MONitor. I fixed all the bugs from before and cleaned up the
                GRAPHICs mode raster flicker, too. It's not perfect but it's cleaner.

                Also working on a comparison architecture between the TI series and the Tomy
                (hey, does anyone know if the 9995 in the 99/2 and 99/8 is also muxed?),
                updating all the old information, and I might work on a Tutor-ial page for
                getting started with the Tutor, GRAPHICs mode, etc.

                -- Well done is better than well said. -- Benjamin Franklin -------------------
              • David S. Brain
                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
                  OK, first let me apologize to everyone. The message about the Commie
                  computers was SUPPOSED to go to Swap personally. I had just got out of
                  bed and was obviously not fully awake when I wrote and sent that letter.
                  I don't mean to start any wars, especially when I'm outnumbered here
                  (and most places as there were approximately 6.8 C64s sold for every
                  TI-99 sold).

                  Second, how did the Panasonic JR200 pop up in the Tomy Tutor group? I'm
                  not even sure I knew what group I was in when I got the link to the
                  website :/
                  --
                  Davey Brain
                  dsbrain@...

                  Message 8 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
                    Davey, you have nothing to apologize for.

                    To everybody else;

                    I personally don't mind these types of conversations as long as they
                    are civil,-- And I know all of us are old enough and wise enough to
                    be civil. :)

                    I remember having heated debates when I was 14 yrs old about the
                    C=64, (and that was 16 years ago), and I don't need to rehash that
                    part of my youth. :)

                    Secondly, there has been little to talk about on the Club board, so I
                    personally don't mind if we discuss other machines, unless you all
                    have a problem with doing so. I don't like to censor people unless
                    it is for something entirely inappropiate.

                    Thirdly, I consider all of us to be friends who have similiar
                    collecting hobbies. If you want to talk about other vintage
                    computers, please fill free to do so. Or, as an example, if you own a
                    vintage car and want to talk about it, then do so.

                    This is a free speech board...

                    whew.... . :)

                    swap

                    Happy New Year!
                    Message 9 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
                      I want to collect it before you do, but you seem to have a larger
                      supply of $$$ and space than I do, not to mention a quicker finger on
                      the E-Bay Bid button!

                      :)

                      --- In tomytutor@yahoogroups.com, swap_and_shop <no_reply@y...> wrote:

                      > Thirdly, I consider all of us to be friends who have similiar
                      > collecting hobbies. If you want to talk about other vintage
                      > computers, please fill free to do so. Or, as an example, if you own
                      > vintage car and want to talk about it, then do so.
                    • Jeff White
                      Message 10 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
                        "Cameron Kaiser" <spectre@...> wrote:
                        <snip>
                        > Also working on a comparison architecture between the TI series and the
                        Tomy
                        > (hey, does anyone know if the 9995 in the 99/2 and 99/8 is also muxed?),
                        > updating all the old information, and I might work on a Tutor-ial page for
                        > getting started with the Tutor, GRAPHICs mode, etc.

                        The 9995 muxes the databus always. The 9995 is the indirect descendant of
                        the 9985 that was supposed to be in the 99/4 -- which instead got a 9900
                        kludged to work similarly to the 9985. The 99/8 uses a special version of
                        the 9995 that disables most of the on-chip RAM. Not sure about the 99/2.

                        Jeff White
                        jhwhite@...
                        Message 11 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
                          > The 9995 muxes the databus always. The 9995 is the indirect descendant of
                          > the 9985 that was supposed to be in the 99/4 -- which instead got a 9900
                          > kludged to work similarly to the 9985. The 99/8 uses a special version of
                          > the 9995 that disables most of the on-chip RAM.

                          Explain this. Is there another "$8300 page" RAM out there in the 99/8?
                          Is that page connected by the same 16-bit wide path as the 9900's, or muxed
                          in the same way as the rest of memory access? And what's most of the RAM?

                          -- A dean is to faculty as a hydrant is to a dog. -- Alfred Kahn --------------
                        • Jeff White
                          Message 12 of 13 , Dec 30, 2002
                            > > The 9995 muxes the databus always. The 9995 is the indirect descendant
                            of
                            > > the 9985 that was supposed to be in the 99/4 -- which instead got a 9900
                            > > kludged to work similarly to the 9985. The 99/8 uses a special version
                            of
                            > > the 9995 that disables most of the on-chip RAM.
                            >
                            > Explain this. Is there another "$8300 page" RAM out there in the 99/8?
                            > Is that page connected by the same 16-bit wide path as the 9900's, or
                            muxed
                            > in the same way as the rest of memory access? And what's most of the RAM?

                            The off-the-shelf 9995 has 256 bytes of on-chip RAM at >F000-F0F9 and
                            >FFFA-FFFF that is on the 16-bit internal bus. The word at >FFFA is the
                            on-chip decrementer and >FFFC-FFFF is the NMI (non-maskable interrupt, or
                            Load, vector). From what I understand, having never studied the 99/8 in
                            detail, it has the on-chip RAM at >F000-F0F9 disabled. The Myarc Geneve
                            9640 uses a standard 9995 and 8K memory pages. Because the 9995 does not
                            disable the external bus during writes, accessing a page mapped to
                            >E000-FFFF in the areas >F000-F0F9 and >FFFA-FFFF will mess with even bytes
                            in the page. Internally a 16-bit operation is happenning, but only the even
                            data byte shows on the external bus.

                            With regard to the "$8300 page" RAM: This is the CPU PAD of the 99/4A and
                            the only directly accessible CPU RAM in a stock console. The standard 16K
                            RAM of the 99/4A is indirectly accessed via the VDP, the TMS9918A in North
                            American consoles. Much of the console ROM and GROM and peripheral ROM
                            (DSR's) is written such that the CPU PAD can be relocated.

                            E.g., the disk controllers typically report error codes at >8350. In the TI
                            floppy disk controller source code, that error code may have been written
                            with an instruction such as "MOV @ERR12,@>0050(R9)". The workspace register
                            R9 in the case of the 99/4A contains >8300. The 99/8 could have its CPU PAD
                            elsewhere.

                            Jeff White
                            jhwhite@...