Recent Tomy Tutor Discoveries

    Message 1 of 8 , May 30, 2002
      I have just recently had a chance to go through the newsletters, and I
      thought I would take a moment to share some general information.
      Right now I am at work and do not have the newsletters in front of
      me.. But here are some discoveries;

      1) Tomy Tutor Demonstration Cartridge.--- This is mentioned in the
      Tomy Tutor Newsletter. Surprise Surprise!

      2) Apparently a club member published a Tomy Tutor Book. This would
      probably not have an ISBN number, and there are various ways to
      publish a "book". It could be nothing more than typewritten pages
      that were spiral bound... More info on this will follow..

      3) Tomy Tutor Game Cassettes... These apparently were basic programs
      that club members programmed and then sold through the club newsletter
      for about $10.00. The cassette titles do not appear to be very
      original, just adaptations of basic programs from other computer
      systems.

      4) A few cartridges that appear to be Pyuuta cartridges that I have
      not heard of, I will need to compare this list with Kameron Kaiser...

      5) Interesting history of the old Tomy Tutor club, seems like only
      about 9 or 10 newsletters were published. It went down really fast
      from what I can tell. Apparently the last surviving club members
      attempted to order bulk cartridge titles from Japan. The cost was
      very prohibitive as the club was only allowed to buy titles in massive
      quantities, and apparently they could not afford the project.

      It looks to me that the Tomy Tutor Newsletter lasted about a year and
      a half.

      Anyhow, just thought I would share my preliminary observations..

      The Swap
    • Russ Perry Jr
      Message 2 of 8 , May 30, 2002
        At 11:50 PM +0000 5/30/02, swap_and_shop wrote:
        >1) Tomy Tutor Demonstration Cartridge.--- This is mentioned in the
        >Tomy Tutor Newsletter. Surprise Surprise!

        I found a picture of the Japanese version, just endlabel-wise, but
        with some other carts too. Should I upload it to the files area?
        || Russ Perry Jr 2175 S Tonne Dr #114 Arlington Hts IL 60005 ||
        || 847-952-9729 slapdash@... VIDEOGAME COLLECTOR! ||
        Message 3 of 8 , May 31, 2002
          Yes, by all means Russ, please send them to the photo gallery or files
          area, you can create your own folder if you want...

          The Swap

          Message 4 of 8 , May 31, 2002
            > 2) Apparently a club member published a Tomy Tutor Book. This
            would
            > probably not have an ISBN number, and there are various ways to
            > publish a "book". It could be nothing more than typewritten pages
            > that were spiral bound... More info on this will follow..

            Think you might be referring to the tutorial written by Dr. Dinovo.
            I have a couple of chapters of this. It was pages printed out on his
            dot matrix printer, then xeroxed.

            > 3) Tomy Tutor Game Cassettes... These apparently were basic
            programs
            > that club members programmed and then sold through the club
            newsletter
            > for about $10.00. The cassette titles do not appear to be very
            > original, just adaptations of basic programs from other computer
            > systems.

            I had one of these, a cassette with two GBASIC programs. I could
            never get it to load. I don't know where I put it in the intervening
            years (17 years, now). Too bad; with what I know now, I could
            probably resurrect the picture at least.

            > It looks to me that the Tomy Tutor Newsletter lasted about a year
            and
            > a half.

            ==
            If the copying machine here ever gets fixed, I'll send you and Davey
            what I have -- I also have the pinout diagram for one of the ports,
            as well as the schematic for the printer interface. Cameron already
            has copies of what I've got, made before the demise of the copier.

            And, of course, I have some of the listings of BASIC programs, that
            you could get by mailing one of the members. I've put some of those
            in the FILES area
            <==

            Try typing them in!
            Message 5 of 8 , May 31, 2002
              > If the copying machine here ever gets fixed, I'll send you and Davey
              > what I have -- I also have the pinout diagram for one of the ports,
              > as well as the schematic for the printer interface. Cameron already
              > has copies of what I've got, made before the demise of the copier.

              I still have to load the information from them onto Little Orphan. I do
              not have access to a (free) copy machine, unfortunately. :-/

              -- My Pink Floyd code: v1.2a s BO 1/0/pw tinG 0? 0 Relics 2 8 <6mar98> --------
            • Russ Perry Jr
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 3, 2002
                At 3:15 PM +0000 5/31/02, swap_and_shop wrote:
                >Yes, by all means Russ, please send them to the photo gallery or files
                >area, you can create your own folder if you want...

                I just added the pic to the main Photos area.

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 4, 2002
                  Is this your personal Pyuuta cart collection?

                  If so, you have an interesting collection. Thanks for the pic!

                  What does the demonstration cartridge have on it?

                  The Swap
                • slapdash
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 4, 2002
                    On Tue, 4 Jun 2002, swap_and_shop wrote:
                    > Is this your personal Pyuuta cart collection?

                    Sadly, no. I grabbed the pic from an auction.

                    > What does the demonstration cartridge have on it?

                    I don't know that either. That's the first I'd seen of it, which is
                    why I saved the pic. :-)