Re: [Tomy Tutor ] I want Tetris on the Tomy Tutor!

    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 5, 2002
      Such things have been around for years. I remember Compute! magazine
      had one. I tried it on the various computers I had, and the Aquarius
      beat the heck out of all my 8-bits, and beat the heck out of all the
      8-bits that Compute! magazine listed.

      It was a calculation-based benchmark, and as you probably know, the
      Aquarius BASIC uses fewer bytes for a floating point number and
      therefore has less accuracy than most BASICs. (The TI 99/4A and the
      Tomy Tutor are very accurate, as good as your calculator, I bet.
      They also store floating point in a very strange "radix 100" format,
      which is probably better for printing than it is for calculating).

      I have also seen "print speed" based benchmarks. The CoCo wins that
      one. It's hardly fair, though. The CoCo screen is only 512 bytes,
      while, say, the Commodore 64's is 2000 (1000 for video matrix and
      1000 for color nybs).

      BYTE magazine reported "dhrystones" when discussing speed. Give a
      good search for that (note the unusual spelling), on google.com.

      Me? When testing the timing of my emulators (and they have to match
      fairly well, for the speaker clicker frequency to sound right), I run
      a few tests like these (this is data for the NTSC VZ200):

      new
      forj=0to10000:next
      18.09 sec

      new
      printlog(sin(2))
      -.095083

      new
      forj=0to1000:a=log(sin(2)):next
      45.76 sec

      new
      cls
      cls:forj=0to1000:printj:next
      50.12 sec

      --- In tomytutor@y..., "David S. Brain" <dsbrain@n...> wrote:
      > Here's a project for someone (emucompboy?), come up with some good
      > benchmarks for testing the relative speeds of BASIC on various
      > computers. Aren't you all curious to see how various systems stack
      up?