405Re: [Tomy Tutor ] Pyuuta Jr. Innards

    Aug 7 9:05 PM
      > Sure, I'll get a picture of the loading screen and whatnot tomorrow if
      > I have a chance. I don't know when I'll get actual cartridges for it,
      > though, it depends on if I want to pay for faster shipping (1 week) or
      > the slower stuff (2 months).

      No sweat, I'm just happy to get pictures. :)

      > I assume MONitor is some sort of assembly monitor? That would be odd to
      > include on what's essentially a gaming system. I assume that's why the
      > circuitry is so much simpler, too. Maybe the Custom Logic Array (which
      > I assume is used for address decoding)is simpler because it doesn't
      > have to address as wide of an address space (since there's only one
      > system ROM).

      No, the MONitor is actually the interface to GBASIC, which is the Pyuuta's
      original tongue. It's used also for loading and saving in GRAPHIC mode.
      Look at

      http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/gbasic.html

      for what the MONitor looks like on a Tomy, and

      http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/gbkeyw.html

      for MONitor and GBASIC instructions.

      > And in pictures I've seen of the Pyuuta Jr., it's often shown with a
      > tape drive attached. I wonder what it was used for.

      I presume to load and save sprites and graphics. I guess that's all you
      could realistically do, assuming GBASIC isn't actually on the unit's ROM.
      That function is probably mediated by whatever MONitor the Jr has.

      Yes, the CLA is used for address decoding. On the twin-ROM Tutor, it's
      quite complex. If you look at the hardware illustration at

      http://www.floodgap.com/retrobits/tomy/hardware.html

      you'll see a lot more discrete logic on the Tutor's mainboard than what
      the Jr's sporting there. I agree the reason is likely the single ROM.

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic