Re: [tomorrow-energy] Re: Efficient heaters

  • Ken Calvert
    Message 1 of 21 , Oct 1, 2004
      Ken Calvert wrote:

      > Gentlemen, To me the problem with combustion heaters that don't
      > have a flue. is not just the carbon monoxide problem, its the build
      > up of water vapour in the home. Every Kg of fuel you burn produces
      > at least one kg of water vapour that is released into the
      > atmosphere. When you first get one of these its great! Everything
      > heats up very quickly and the humidity level is very comfortable.
      > However, its not long before everything gets very clammy and damp.
      > Its amazing how much moisture can be absorbed by your furniture
      > bedding and curtains. And guess what, all that water is all extra
      > mass which has to be heated again, every time you let the house cool
      > down. And it will take a lot of effort to get everything dry
      > again. Yours, Ken C.
    • MJ
      Message 2 of 21 , Oct 1, 2004
        A number of things will collect inside your house from fuel fired flueless
        heaters. Water vapor, which will migrate to the cold side of walls and into
        the attic through holes in the air-vapor barrier and condense and freeze if
        it's cold enough. This moist environment provides the ideal conditions for
        mould and rot. Then there is carbon dioxide, carbon monoxide, unburned
        hydrocarbons, and all the impurities in the fuel which don't get refined out.
        There is nothing about unvented fuel fired heaters that make them a good idea.
        You might save some money but at the expense of your health, and the 'health'
        of the building.
        MJ