Re: [tomcat-sailboats] Centerboard slap while at anchor

  • Ted King
    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 2012
      Hello Jeff,
      I haven't noticed this problem.  Perhaps, I'm a sound sleeper, or have picked quiet anchorages.  Usually, we anchor with the centerboard down, and water resistance would act as a damper as the boat swings around at anchor.
      One boat builder uses the following solution to alleviate a similar problem with rudder noise: he recommends a bead of Sikaflex or 5200 to the sides of the rudder block.  This might work on the Tomcat 9.7 if applied to the centerboard slot?  It's easily done if you've lifted out of the water for winter.  I'd ask Tom Strain what he thinks about it.

      Ted,
      Tango

      On 18/11/2012 8:34 AM, Jeff_Peltier wrote:

      The other night reminded me of this irritation. In a not-so-quiet anchorage, the centerboard slaps from side to side, making it hard to sleep. I've tried it down and up and up is quieter, but it seems the motion eventually allows it to creep down just a bit, which is enough for the noise to start anew. I beleive it was Gerard that hooked up an externail block and line system for the centerboard and I'm wondering if that holds it up tighter. I don't believe he ever said how far down or in front of the centerboard he went for his pulling points or if there was a purchase involved. Any other thoughts on this subject?

      Thanks,
      Jeff

    • tedschoenfelder
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 2012
        I do not have a problem with the issue you raise. However, I have a carbon fiber board instead of fiberglass and I use an electric actuator which retracts very tightly, the same when it is down. Ted S - SV Dash

        --- In tomcat-sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff_Peltier" <peltier@...> wrote:

        > The other night reminded me of this irritation. In a not-so-quiet anchorage, the centerboard slaps from side to side, making it hard to sleep. I've tried it down and up and up is quieter, but it seems the motion eventually allows it to creep down just a bit, which is enough for the noise to start anew. I beleive it was Gerard that hooked up an externail block and line system for the centerboard and I'm wondering if that holds it up tighter. I don't believe he ever said how far down or in front of the centerboard he went for his pulling points or if there was a purchase involved. Any other thoughts on this subject?
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Jeff

      • capnronofquinita
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 19, 2012
          I've noticed this problem somewhat. I usually anchor (or moor) with the board up. The slapping seems to be reduced if I raise the board tightly (as Ted S also suggests).

          Ted K's suggestion of 5200 also sounds interesting to me.

          Ron

          --- In tomcat-sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff_Peltier" <peltier@...> wrote:

          > The other night reminded me of this irritation. In a not-so-quiet anchorage, the centerboard slaps from side to side, making it hard to sleep. I've tried it down and up and up is quieter, but it seems the motion eventually allows it to creep down just a bit, which is enough for the noise to start anew. I beleive it was Gerard that hooked up an externail block and line system for the centerboard and I'm wondering if that holds it up tighter. I don't believe he ever said how far down or in front of the centerboard he went for his pulling points or if there was a purchase involved. Any other thoughts on this subject?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Jeff

        • rogermdunn0
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 23, 2013
            I'm out on an end slip so there is the occasional wake from someone pushing the 5 kt limit. In my experience, the centerboard slap is almost eliminated when the cb is down. I haven't tried bringing it up extra tightly for fear of putting too much strain on a mechanism that is out of easy reach. But maybe I'll try that a few times.