Tachometer/Hour meter for Yamaha 9.9

  • capnronofquinita
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17, 2012
      Does anyone have a tacho and/or hour meter? I have a bunch of unused wires coming from both engines, but they're not described in the owners manual as far as I can see. I was thinking about researching what data the engine provides in the hope that there was some NMEA data that I could plug into my Raymarine C90 display. Does anyone know?

      It may be a moot point, since my research showed up this little device: http://www.hardlineproducts.com/ShowItem.cfm?itemid=268&catid=129. Its a Hardline Hour/Tach meter. Installation seems trivial - you wrap a sensor wire around one of the spark plug caps, run the wire to where you want the display mounted and job done. The display, apparently, contains a 10 year battery, so there's no need for power. How easy is that!

      Does anyone have experience of this or similar devices?

      Thanks

      Ron
    • James Morpeth

          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 18, 2012
            I did install tachs for both engines (they were generic and not Yamaha brand). The instructions with the tachs were fairly clear, but I'm up north right now and don't have them. Good to know the rpms for the occasions when you pick up debris on the props, syncing, judging fuel use, etc.
            Jeff

            --- In tomcat-sailboats@yahoogroups.com, James Morpeth <jmorpeth@...> wrote:

            > That looks like a great idea to me.
            >
            > vivi la vita
            >
            > Jim
            >
            > On Sep 17, 2012, at 2:46 PM, "capnronofquinita" <Ron.James@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Does anyone have a tacho and/or hour meter? I have a bunch of unused wires coming from both engines, but they're not described in the owners manual as far as I can see. I was thinking about researching what data the engine provides in the hope that there was some NMEA data that I could plug into my Raymarine C90 display. Does anyone know?
            > >
            > > It may be a moot point, since my research showed up this little device: http://www.hardlineproducts.com/ShowItem.cfm?itemid=268&catid=129. Its a Hardline Hour/Tach meter. Installation seems trivial - you wrap a sensor wire around one of the spark plug caps, run the wire to where you want the display mounted and job done. The display, apparently, contains a 10 year battery, so there's no need for power. How easy is that!
            > >
            > > Does anyone have experience of this or similar devices?
            > >
            > > Thanks
            > >
            > > Ron

          • tedschoenfelder
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 18, 2012
              I had tachs installed when I passed through Belleville, Ontario when I brought the boat home in 2007 from Newport, RI. I stopped there to visit the King's before going up the Trent-Sevren Waterway. Also had my screen made there to put in place of the top three plexiglass panels when the temps are high.

              The Yamaha dealer installed them and they work very well. To me they are essential for managing engine RPM's for best fuel efficiency, etc. They have warning horns to alert you if the engines quit, or their is low oil pressure, or high temperature. They are also back lighted for night operations. I will post a picture of the panel layout.

              Ted (S/V Dash)

              --- In tomcat-sailboats@yahoogroups.com, "capnronofquinita" <Ron.James@...> wrote:

              > Does anyone have a tacho and/or hour meter? I have a bunch of unused wires coming from both engines, but they're not described in the owners manual as far as I can see. I was thinking about researching what data the engine provides in the hope that there was some NMEA data that I could plug into my Raymarine C90 display. Does anyone know?
              >
              > It may be a moot point, since my research showed up this little device: http://www.hardlineproducts.com/ShowItem.cfm?itemid=268&catid=129. Its a Hardline Hour/Tach meter. Installation seems trivial - you wrap a sensor wire around one of the spark plug caps, run the wire to where you want the display mounted and job done. The display, apparently, contains a 10 year battery, so there's no need for power. How easy is that!
              >
              > Does anyone have experience of this or similar devices?
              >
              > Thanks
              >
              > Ron

            • Ted King
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 18, 2012
                Agree with Jeff for all the reasons he quoted.  I went the first two seasons without tachs, then added Yamaha tachs with an audible alert when one of the motors quit.  It doesn't include an hour meter, but I record motor use manually for each trip.
                Ted K.
                Tango