Re: TOAD vs Artisan

  • vincerice@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 1, 2001
      I asked precisely this question on the beta forum a week or so ago, and I agree completely with your request. This is the last reason we have Artisan around; for doing multiple actions at one time, i.e. extracting several procedures, etc., Artisan is faster than Toad.

      Vince

      --- In toad@y..., "Rajiv Jain" <rajivk_jain@y...> wrote:
      > Toadman,
      >
      > one of the very useful features of dbartisan is that it allows you to multi
      > select object and peform actions... for example select a bunch of tables
      > either shift click and/or ctrl click and then select truncate table. It
      > will then generate a sql statement to truncate all the tables. Toad does
      > have this features for some items, for example disable all triggers would
      > disable all triggers that are showing in the schema browser. It would be
      > nice to have the shift and control click multi actions in TOAD too....
      > Other than this the only reason I ever use DBartisan is when we are doing a
      > project that has duplicate db environments for both slqserver and Oracle in
      > which case we use the same tool for both databases. Also, overall I fee
      > TOAD is much easier to use. I was introduced to both tools at the same time
      > but I find myself opening DBartisan about once a week where as toad is open
      > all week long.

    • toadman
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
        The problem is that our Browser is nothing like anyone else's. Artisan
        loads a separate window for object detail and we show it on the same
        window. Activating and then deactivating buttons and the RHS based on
        multi-select has been a pita. I've experimented with it and keep
        hopeing the solution will slap me in the face one morning during my
        shower.

        vincerice@... wrote:

        > I asked precisely this question on the beta forum a week or so ago, and I agree completely with your request. This is the last reason we have Artisan around; for doing multiple actions at one time, i.e. extracting several procedures, etc., Artisan is faster than Toad.
        >

        > > one of the very useful features of dbartisan is that it allows you to multi
        > > select object and peform actions... for example select a bunch of tables
        > > either shift click and/or ctrl click and then select truncate table. It
      • Colin Wright
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 2, 2001
          Toadman,

          on that irritating note of knowing when to enable or disable a button,
          when I was writing a Delphi app which had different actions based on
          the number of items selected I created a button class that coped
          specifically with enabling based on number of items selected. (It
          also
          changed the Caption, but that isn't relevant here).

          I thought that really there are only 4 states for multi-select lists:
          None selected, 1 selected, 2 selected, 3 or more selected.
          (Some actions, eg Compare, require exactly 2 items, which is why
          I handled a different state for it.)

          Each state has an Enabled value and a State.
          When you set the State it refreshes the button, updating the
          Enabled property. If nothing had been set for a given state it checks
          the next lower state.

          This allows you to set enable/disable in the component properties at
          design-time and replace those case statements
          with a list of button.State := count; statements. For more efficiency
          Container (eg panel, toolbar) classes can be created which set the
          State
          of any State handling child or sets non-enabled children according to
          its own settings.

          I hope that might make the slap a little less painful. :-)

          Colin Wright
          Nottingham, UK
          c.d.wright@...